Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Haute Vienne
Pierre-Buffière - Sainte-Croix
11 Mar 2021 |
|
|
Goscelin, the Lord of Pierre-Buffière, had a feudal confict with the Vice Count of Limoges. This conflict was settled by the Solignac Abbey. So in 1061 Gocelin had Sainte-Croix built and put it under the sovereignity of the Solignac Abbey. In the 13th century the village grew around the church, that got modified a couple of times over the centuries.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
11 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
The rood screen was made in Renaissance style between 1533 and 1536. It was badly damaged during the French Revolution. At the end of the 19th century, the rood screen was placed in the western vestibule.
Scars of the Revolution in a wreath of laurel.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
11 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
The rood screen was made in Renaissance style between 1533 and 1536. It was badly damaged during the French Revolution. At the end of the 19th century, the rood screen was placed in the western vestibule.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
11 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century.
The crossing
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
10 Mar 2021 |
|
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century.
The Magi
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
10 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century.
Here are Saint Sebastian (very left), Saint Stephen in the center and Saint Martin on the right.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
10 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
10 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929.
The station, a kind of temple of a new age, was designed by architect Roger Gonthier.
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
10 Mar 2021 |
|
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929.
The station, a kind of temple of a new age, was designed by architect Roger Gonthier.
La Gascogne
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
09 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929.
The station, a kind of temple of a new age, was designed by architect Roger Gonthier.
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
09 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929.
The station, a kind of temple of a new age, was designed by architect Roger Gonthier.
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
09 Mar 2021 |
|
|
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929.
The station, a kind of temple of a new age, was designed by architect Roger Gonthier.
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
09 Mar 2021 |
|
|
Limoges - Limoges-Bénédictins
The "Gare de Limoges-Bénédictins" is the main railway station of Limoges. It was named Bénédictins due to the presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution. The first railway line was opened in the 1850s, the wooden station got replaced by a stone-building in 1860. In 1918 an agreement was signed regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929. The station was inaugurated on 2 July 1929.
The new station was designed by architect Roger Gonthier. On the Southwest corner is a 67-metre-tall clock tower composed of thirteen levels. It is mounted by a dome itself mounted by a five-metre-tall vase. Below these are four clocks.
Limoges - Lido
09 Mar 2021 |
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
The Lido Limoge is a nice cinema. The Lido in Paris is much better known for sure.
Limoges - Le Grilladin
08 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
Somebody has advised us, to do a little stopover in "Le Grilladin". He had told us, that it looked pretty rundown, but the food would be delicious. Well, it was locked, so we could not try.
legrilladin.fr/index.php/le-resto
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
08 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
08 Mar 2021 |
|
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.
Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
08 Mar 2021 |
|
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was.
Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint.
Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements.
In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison.
In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Haute Vienne" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter