Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Knights of St. John
Adenau - St. Johannes der Täufer
29 Sep 2021 |
|
|
|
The town of Adenau, located in the Eifel, a mountain range stretching west to Belgium, is known since 992 when it was mentioned in a document by King Otto III under the name "Adenova".
In 1162, Ulrich von Are donated his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John (Sovereign Military Order of Malta). Adenau thus became the third oldest branch of this order in Germany.
A church dedicated to St John the Baptist probably already existed in the 10th century.
When Ulrich von Are had his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John "his" church was probably part of the deal. In the 12th century, two side aisles were added and in the 13th century a new choir, which was used exclusively by the Knights of St John.
At the end of the 15th century, the nave was vaulted. In 1908/09, the old choir and sacristy were demolished and a new building erected. The old nave was completely destroyed at the end of WWII, so that a new building was erected in 1969. Parts of the old outer walls were converted into an atrium.
The old Romanesque baptismal font.
Adenau - St. Johannes der Täufer
29 Sep 2021 |
|
|
The town of Adenau, located in the Eifel, a mountain range stretching west to Belgium, is known since 992 when it was mentioned in a document by King Otto III under the name "Adenova".
In 1162, Ulrich von Are donated his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John (Sovereign Military Order of Malta). Adenau thus became the third oldest branch of this order in Germany.
A church dedicated to St John the Baptist probably already existed in the 10th century.
When Ulrich von Are had his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John "his" church was probably part of the deal. In the 12th century, two side aisles were added and in the 13th century a new choir, which was used exclusively by the Knights of St John.
At the end of the 15th century, the nave was vaulted. In 1908/09, the old choir and sacristy were demolished and a new building erected. The old nave was completely destroyed at the end of WWII, so that a new building was erected in 1969. Parts of the old outer walls were converted into an atrium.
Following the information given in the church, the Gothic winged retable was created in the early 16th century and renovated in the 1860s.
Adenau - St. Johannes der Täufer
29 Sep 2021 |
|
|
The town of Adenau, located in the Eifel, a mountain range stretching west to Belgium, is known since 992 when it was mentioned in a document by King Otto III under the name "Adenova".
In 1162, Ulrich von Are donated his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John (Sovereign Military Order of Malta). Adenau thus became the third oldest branch of this order in Germany.
A church dedicated to St John the Baptist probably already existed in the 10th century.
When Ulrich von Are had his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John "his" church was probably part of the deal. In the 12th century, two side aisles were added and in the 13th century a new choir, which was used exclusively by the Knights of St John.
At the end of the 15th century, the nave was vaulted. In 1908/09, the old choir and sacristy were demolished and a new building erected. The old nave was completely destroyed at the end of WWII, so that a new building was erected in 1969. Parts of the old outer walls were converted into an atrium.
Adenau - St. Johannes der Täufer
29 Sep 2021 |
|
|
|
The town of Adenau, located in the Eifel, a mountain range stretching west to Belgium, is known since 992 when it was mentioned in a document by King Otto III under the name "Adenova".
In 1162, Ulrich von Are donated his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John (Sovereign Military Order of Malta). Adenau thus became the third oldest branch of this order in Germany.
A church dedicated to St John the Baptist probably already existed in the 10th century.
When Ulrich von Are had his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John "his" church was probably part of the deal. In the 12th century, two side aisles were added and in the 13th century a new choir, which was used exclusively by the Knights of St John.
At the end of the 15th century, the nave was vaulted. In 1908/09, the old choir and sacristy were demolished and a new building erected. The old nave was completely destroyed at the end of WWII, so that a new building was erected in 1969. Parts of the old outer walls were converted into an atrium.
Adenau
29 Sep 2021 |
|
|
The town of Adenau, located in the Eifel, a mountain range stretching west to Belgium, is known since 992 when it was mentioned in a document by King Otto III under the name "Adenova".
In 1162, Ulrich von Are donated his manor in Adenau to the Knights of St. John (Sovereign Military Order of Malta). Adenau thus became the third oldest branch of this order in Germany.
Near Adenau (btw) is the Nuerburgring, known for F1 races and the festival "Rock am Ring".
The large half-timbered house in the centre was built in 1630.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Knights of St. John" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter