Gate at the Cloisters, April 2007
Three Reliquaries for the Skulls of Female Saints…
Effigies of Alvaro Rodrigo de Cabrera and Cecilia…
The Exterior of the Chapel in the Cloisters, April…
Pilaster from the Saint-Guilhem Cloister in the Cl…
The Cuxa Cloister and Tower in the Cloisters, Apri…
Tree in the Cuxa Cloister in the Cloisters, April…
Garden in the Cloisters, April 2007
Garden Decorated Base in the Cloisters, April 2007
Column Capital in the Cuxa Cloister in the Cloiste…
Heraldic Column Capital in the Trie Cloister at th…
Column Capital in the Trie Cloister at the Cloiste…
Column Capital in the Trie Cloister at the Cloiste…
Column Capital With the 3 Marys and the Entombment…
Cross & Fountain in the Trie Cloister at the Clois…
Cross & Fountain in the Trie Cloister at the Clois…
Cross & Fountain in the Trie Cloister at the Clois…
Cross & Fountain in the Trie Cloister at the Clois…
Opening of the New Greek & Roman Galleries "Toga P…
Opening of the New Greek & Roman Galleries "Toga P…
Fountain with Gas Lights in City Hall Park, April…
Terrracotta Aryballos in the Form of Cockleshells…
Terracotta Guttus in the Metropolitan Museum of Ar…
Barn at the Queens County Farm Fair, September 200…
The Queens County Farm Museum Store at their Fair,…
The Adrience Farmhouse at the Queens County Farm F…
Old-Fashioned Organ at the Queens County Farm Fair…
Farm Animals at the Queens County Farm Fair, Septe…
Balloon Ride at the Queens County Farm Fair, Septe…
Prize Peppers at the Queens County Farm Fair, Sept…
Greenhouse at the Queens County Farm Fair, Septemb…
Windmill at the Queens County Farm Fair, September…
25th Anniversary Banners at the Queens County Farm…
Baron Ian's Tunic at the Queens County Farm Fair,…
John the Bear and Viceroy Alexandre vs Avran and E…
John the Bear and Viceroy Alexandre vs Avran and E…
Viceroy Alexandre and Lord Ervald Fighting at the…
Viceroy Alexandre and Lord Ervald Fighting at the…
Viceroy Alexandre and Lord Ervald Fighting at the…
Viceroy Alexandre and Lord Ervald Fighting at the…
Viceroy Alexandre and Lord Ervald Fighting at the…
Avran and Lord Ervald Fighting at the Queens Count…
Viceroy Alexandre & Lord John the Bear Fighting at…
Viceroy Alexandre & Lord John the Bear Fighting at…
Viceroy Alexandre & Lord John the Bear Fighting at…
Location
Lat, Lng:
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address: unknown
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address: unknown
See also...
Keywords
Authorizations, license
-
Visible by: Everyone -
All rights reserved
-
379 visits
Fort Tryon Park, April 2007


Fort Tryon Park is a public park located in the Washington Heights neighborhood of the New York City borough of Manhattan, USA, 40°51.7′N 73°56′W. It is situated on a 67-acre (270,000 m²) ridge in Upper Manhattan, with a commanding view of the Hudson River, the George Washington Bridge, the New Jersey Palisades and the Harlem River. It is also site of The Cloisters, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art devoted to medieval art and culture, and home to the Unicorn Tapistries, The Cloisters incorporates several medieval buildings that were purchased in Europe, brought to the United States, and reassembled, often stone by stone.
The park was the site of the American Revolutionary War Battle of Fort Washington, fought on November 16, 1776, between 2,900 American soldiers and 8,000 invading Hessian troops hired by Great Britain. Margaret Corbin became the first woman to fight in the war and was wounded during the battle. After the British won, the fortification was named after Sir William Tryon, the last British Governor of the New York colony.
Later it became the private residence of a succession of wealthy owners, including Dr. Samuel Watkins, founder of Watkins Glen, General Daniel Butterfield, Boss Tweed and C. K. G. Billings. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. purchased the Billings estate in 1917. He hired Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., son of the designer of Central Park, to plan a park that he would give to the city. The park was constructed during the Great Depression, providing many jobs. The project included the 190th Street subway station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line (which is the closest station to the park). The park was completed in 1935. Olmstead included extensive flower plantings, including a Heather Garden that was restored in the 1980s. Besides the gardens and the Cloisters, the park has extensive walking paths and meadows, with views of the Hudson and Harlem Rivers.
The park is built on a formation of Manhattan schist and contains interesting examples of igneous intrusions and of glacial striations from the last Ice Age. The lower lying regions to the east and north of the park are built on Inwood marble.
Abandoned by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in the 1970s, Fort Tryon became a haven for the homeless, prostitutes, and drug dealers. In 1995, the New York Restoration Project, an organization founded by Bette Midler, took over the park, cleaning it up and returning it to its original glory.
Parts of the Clint Eastwood film Coogan's Bluff (including the final chase scene) were filmed in Fort Tryon Park.
Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Tryon_Park
The park was the site of the American Revolutionary War Battle of Fort Washington, fought on November 16, 1776, between 2,900 American soldiers and 8,000 invading Hessian troops hired by Great Britain. Margaret Corbin became the first woman to fight in the war and was wounded during the battle. After the British won, the fortification was named after Sir William Tryon, the last British Governor of the New York colony.
Later it became the private residence of a succession of wealthy owners, including Dr. Samuel Watkins, founder of Watkins Glen, General Daniel Butterfield, Boss Tweed and C. K. G. Billings. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. purchased the Billings estate in 1917. He hired Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., son of the designer of Central Park, to plan a park that he would give to the city. The park was constructed during the Great Depression, providing many jobs. The project included the 190th Street subway station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line (which is the closest station to the park). The park was completed in 1935. Olmstead included extensive flower plantings, including a Heather Garden that was restored in the 1980s. Besides the gardens and the Cloisters, the park has extensive walking paths and meadows, with views of the Hudson and Harlem Rivers.
The park is built on a formation of Manhattan schist and contains interesting examples of igneous intrusions and of glacial striations from the last Ice Age. The lower lying regions to the east and north of the park are built on Inwood marble.
Abandoned by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in the 1970s, Fort Tryon became a haven for the homeless, prostitutes, and drug dealers. In 1995, the New York Restoration Project, an organization founded by Bette Midler, took over the park, cleaning it up and returning it to its original glory.
Parts of the Clint Eastwood film Coogan's Bluff (including the final chase scene) were filmed in Fort Tryon Park.
Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Tryon_Park
- Keyboard shortcuts:
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest comments - Subscribe to the comment feeds of this photo
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter
Sign-in to write a comment.