Amelia's photos
The river at Fuglestad
|
|
|
|
Autumn at Grasmere
|
|
|
|
Atcham Bridge, Framed in Beech
|
|
|
|
The two bridges at Atcham
|
|
|
|
Two bridges span the Rive Severn here. The old bridge, built in 1774, and the new, lower bridge, which carries the old A5 across the river and was opened in 1929.
The old bridge is constructed of grey sandstone and has 7 round arches.
Converging
|
|
|
|
Here two bridges span the Rive Severn - the old bridge, built in 1774, and the new, lower bridge, which carries the old A5 across the river and was opened in 1929.
The old bridge is constructed of grey sandstone and has 7 round arches.
High and dry at the Isle of Whithorn
|
|
|
|
Isle of Whithorn is one of the most southerly villages and seaports in Scotland, lying on the coast north east of Burrow Head, about three miles from Whithorn in Dumfries and Galloway.
The village is the location of the long ruined 13th century Saint Ninian's Chapel, previously a chapel linked to Whithorn Priory and a stopping off point for pilgrims landing on Isle Head and making their way to Whithorn. No longer a true island, John Ainslie's maps as late as 1782 and 1821 show the Isle as an island. The main street was originally a causeway, with the harbour located on what was then the true Isle.
Royal Naval X-craft. Aberlady Bay
|
|
|
|
Aberlady Bay , East Lothian has a number of remarkably little known historic wrecks including two midget submarines, Royal Naval X-craft.
In 1946 two X-Ts were moored on the vast expanse of sand at Aberlady as targets for aircraft gunnery practice.
LLyn Brenig reservoir. HFF
|
|
|
|
Llyn Brenig is a reservoir located in Wales, in the heart of the Denbigh Moors, at a height of 1200 feet, on the border between the counties of Conwy and Denbighshire. It is used to manage the flow in the River Dee as part of the River Dee regulation system which is designed to protect the water supply for North West England and north-east Wales, particularly Liverpool and its surrounding area.
Kirkcudbright Harbour and MacLellan's Castle
|
|
|
|
In 1569 the land and buildings of the Convent of Greyfriars were acquired by Sir Thomas MacLellan of Bombie, Provost of Kirkcudbright. He demolished the convent and used the stone to build what on its completion in 1582 was one of the grandest houses in Scotland.
Kirkcudbright Bridge
|
|
|
|
The bridge over the River Dee at Kirkcudbright was built in 1926 by the engineers Mouchel. It provided a direct route west out of the town, rather than having to head north via Tongland Bridge first.
The bridge is a massive 5 span reinforced concrete structure, where each span is supported by tied arch trusses overhead.
Below the spans the piers are paired and while only two stand in the river at low tide, at high tide all are partially submerged.
River Dee at Kirkcudbright
|
|
|
|
The River Dee at Kirkcudbright is a tidal river. The water will reach the reed bed in the foreground at high tide
#54 Autumn colours reflected in the river below M…
|
|
|
|
This river is a continuation from this waterfall:
www.ipernity.com/doc/1021409/35748487
The Pity Of War
|
|
|
|
From to right, anti-clockwise:
Margeret Knowles Scott.. Born 3th July 1895
William Bell Scott. Born 28th September 1896
George Knowles Scott (my father). Born 2nd September 1901
David Scott. Born 1905
My Uncle William is listed as being killed on 7th October 1916.
His body was never found. He is named on the the 'Thiepval Memorial to the Missing' in France.
My Uncle David had a leg amputated during WW2
The Cenotaph
|
|
|
|
The Cenotaph is a war memorial on Whitehall in London, England. Its origin is in a temporary structure erected for a peace parade following the end of the First World War and after an outpouring of national sentiment it was replaced in 1920 by a permanent structure and designated the United Kingdom's primary national war memorial.
Designed by Edwin Lutyens, the permanent structure was built from Portland stone between 1919 and 1920 by Holland, Hannen & Cubitt.
An annual Service of Remembrance is held at the site on Remembrance Sunday, the closest Sunday to 11 November (Armistice Day) each year.
Today it has been covered in poppy wreathes in Remembrance of those that died in 2 World wars, as well of those who have dies since in many world conflicts.
The Pity of War.
Framed by beech
|
|
|
|
Lake Vyrnwy is a reservoir in Powys, Wales. Its stone-built dam, built in the 1880s, was the first of its kind in the world. It was built for the purpose of supplying Liverpool and the districts later designated as Merseyside with fresh water. It flooded the head of the Vyrnwy valley and submerged the small village of Llanwddyn. The Lake Vyrnwy Nature Reserve and Estate that surrounds the lake is jointly managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and Severn Trent Water.
Volume of water:59.7 gigalitres (13.125×109 imp gal)
Woodland colour
|
|
|
|
Autumn reflections at lake Vyrnwy
|
|
|
|
We had been up to this Welsh reservoir the day before and it was very misty, but the autumn colours looked lovely, but very muted at a distance. It was perfect the day after. The larch trees in particular were golden.
Sea anemones. Actinia equina
|
|
|
|
The beadlet anemone, Actinia equina, is a common sea anemone found on rocky shores around all coasts of the United Kingdom and Norway.
It is highly adapted to the intertidal zone as it can tolerate both high temperatures and desiccation. When the tide isn't covering these lovely little animals, they just look like blobs of dark red, brown,green or orange jelly.
Sea anemones have a ring of tentacles surrounding their central 'mouth'. The tentacles have specialised stinging cells that are used to immobilise their prey, (plankton, small crabs and fish) and then the tentacles are then able to move the food into the mouth. The extending tentacles can also be used to catch passing food as it drifts past.