Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Saint-Romain

Saint-Sauvant - Saint-Romain

01 Feb 2016 2 221
Saint-Romain, the parish church of Saint-Sauvant, was erected within the 13th century as a part of a small priory dependent on the abbey in nearby Celles-sur-Belle. The church got enlarged in the 15th century. The place may have had some importance during the 5th century, as a couple of merovingian sarcophagi are near the church. So this may have been a merovingian nekropole.

Saint-Romain-de-Benet - Saint-Romain

02 Sep 2013 184
Another former priory church, that now is a parish church. Built within the 12th century it burned down later, got poorly rebuilt and was near to collapse, when the "renovation process" started alrady within the 17th century. Not much more than pillars around the crossing of Saint Romain are left from the Romanesque structure. These still have capitals from the 12th century. Two lions fighting on the right, while a knight on horseback leaves the scene to the left. He holds a pretty large shield.

Saint-Romain-de-Benet - Saint-Romain

02 Sep 2013 170
Another former priory church, that now is a parish church. Built within the 12th century it burned down later, got poorly rebuilt and was near to collapse, when the "renovation process" started alrady within the 17th century. Not much more than pillars around the crossing of Saint Romain are left from the Romanesque structure. These still have capitals from the 12th century. Here is one side. While to the right are two heads/faces (one "framed"), on the left are two crowned persons. One riding on horseback, the other flanked by a very large bird. Probably this is the same person, but who is the King?

Saint-Romain-de-Benet - Saint-Romain

02 Sep 2013 220
Another former priory church, that now is a parish church. Built within the 12th century it burned down later, got poorly rebuilt and was near to collapse, when the "renovation process" started alrady within the 17th century. Not much more than the crossing is left from the Romanesque structure. The tower seen here was erected in 1830. The two domes, seen here, date back to 1901. The architect was obvously inspired by Paul Abadie´s work, who after the renovation of Saint-Front in Périgueux, had designed Sacré-Cœur in Paris.