Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: carolingian
Montalcino - Abbazia di Sant'Antimo
16 Sep 2016 |
|
It is proven, that the Abbazia di Sant'Antimo existed since Carolingian times. Legends (of course) know, that it was Charlemagne himself, who founded the abbey when he had left Rome, following the Via Francigana northward. The earliest document relating to the abbey is a land grant of Charlemagne´s son Louis the Pious from 813.
One year after the 1117 Verona earthquake, that destroyed so many buildings in Northern Italy, the erection of the church of today started. At that time the a powerful abbey was one of the largest landowners in the area.
The decline started in 1212, when, after a decade of hostility, an agreement stated that the abbey had to hand over a quarter of its territories to Siena, including Montalcino.
With the rise of the Dominican and the Franciscan Order, the Benedictines lost more influence. In 1462 Pope Pius II surpressed the abbey (just like Abbadia Ardenga, see previous uploads), annexed what ever was left - and handed it over to the Bishop of of Montalcino-Pienza, who was Pius' nephew.
The church is about 43 metres long. The church is often compared to Saint-Étienne in Vignory (consecrated ~ 1050 /Burgundy /~ 1000 kms northwest). The influence of French architects and artists, maybe connected to Cluny, is undisputed.
Spolia are used to decorate the exterior walls. Here is a side portal. The lintel looks Carolingian with the knots. It may once have been part of the still existing Carolingian chapel ("Cappella Carolingia"), that now is used as a sacristy.
Vicq - Saint-Maurice
02 Oct 2011 |
|
The western facade of Saint-Maurice in Vicq. This church was built over an old Christian sanctuary, dating back to the 5th century. There is a crypt below the choir with merovingian and carolingian tombs. - It looked very promising, when I approached the portal of the church. Obviously the door was open, but - there is a second door, that one was locked.
Yes, the spire of the church - is cut!
Fenioux - Notre-Dame de l’Assomption
19 Feb 2016 |
|
|
|
Fenioux, a small village with a population of less than 200, has this wonderful parish church "Notre-Dame de l’Assomption". Once the church was dedicated to "Saint-Savinien" and "Saint Pierre". It was built in the 12th century, about the same time, when Saint-Pierre in Aulnay was under construction - there are parallels.
The church was erected over a Carolingian oratory from the 9th century, of which some parts were integrated into the new building - and so still exist around the choir. Here is the western facade. Though vandalized during the Wars of Religion and the French Revolution, when many sculptures here lost their heads, this is still extraordenary.
There are five semicircular archivolts - and ten capitals. The inner archivolt is covered with symmetric foliage in the "traditonal style saintongue". The second archivolt has the virtues defeating the vices, the third one is populated by six angels flanking an Agnus Dei. The parable of the "Wise and Foolish Virgins" can be seen on the fourth - and the fifth archivolt has a complete zodiac - and the names of the corresponding months.
Fenioux - Notre-Dame de l’Assomption
19 Feb 2016 |
|
|
Fenioux, a small village with a population of less than 200, has this wonderful parish church "Notre-Dame de l’Assomption". Once the church was dedicated to "Saint-Savinien" and "Saint Pierre". It was built in the 12th century, about the same time, when Saint-Pierre in Aulnay was under construction - there are parallels.
The church was erected over a Carolingian oratory from the 9th century, of which some parts were integrated into the new building - and so still exist around the choir. The two portals are stunning. The smaller northern one is masterly carved in the "style saintongue", but may not be a surprise, but the large, western one, with its five archivolts is breathtaking. Though vandalized during the Wars of Religion and the French Revolution, when many sculptures here lost their heads, this is still extraordenary.
Here are more photos taken here:
www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=42038165%40N02&sort=da...
Vence - Cathédrale de la Nativité-de-Marie
29 Mar 2011 |
|
Inside the Cathédrale de la Nativité-de-Marie, the Cathedral of Vence, bishopric seat upto 1801. Originally, dating back to the 11th/12th century, this was a basilica-style church, having one nave and two aisles. Probably only the pillars are still from that time, as the structure is renovated, changed and enlarged many times. Built in the pillars are some brownish reliefs. These stone carvings are from the carolingian church, that was here before the romanesque was built. Denis has a nice photo of one of these carvings:
www.flickr.com/photos/89235234@N00/5041059868/
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
06 Feb 2015 |
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church was used by the parish since mid 11th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
A magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
Here is an inscription on one of the four pillars:
III:NO:IAN:DEDICATIO - HUIUS ECCLESIAE
This church was dedicated on the third of January
There is another inscription adding information about the year (806) and the dedication (Genevieve and Germain), but it is thought that this is a 19th century copy.
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
06 Feb 2015 |
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Anger until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
A magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
The mosaic, made of glass and coloured stone, is symmetrical, centring on the Ark of the Covenant.
This was not the only mosaic when the church was completed. Traces of frescoes and mosaics were found all over the apse´s walls.
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
06 Feb 2015 |
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
This magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
The mosaic, made of glass and colored stone, is symmetrical, centering on the Ark of the Covenant. In a small area of starry sky the Hand of God descends. Two angels flank the scene. They enclose the sky with their wings and look down at the Ark. Two smaller angels stand atop the Ark, reaching down to it. The Ark of the Covenant is shown as a gold box with side rails for carrying.
Along the bottom of the mosaic is a Latin text, which reads:
ORACLUM SCM ET CERUBIN HIC ASPICE SPECTANS ET TESTAMENTI MICAT ARCA DEI HAEC CERNENS PRECIBUSQUE STUDENS PULSARE TONANTEM THEODULFUM VOTIS IUNGITO QUAESO TUIS
"As you gaze upon the holy propitiatorium and Cherubim, beholder,
and see the shimmering of the Ark of God's covenant, perceiving these things, and prepared to beset the Thunderer with prayers, add, I beg you, Theodulf's name to your invocations." (transation from Wikpedia)
For a total of the mosaic see the previous uploads. Here is a detail ..
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
06 Feb 2015 |
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
This magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
The mosaic, made of glass and colored stone, is symmetrical, centering on the Ark of the Covenant. In a small area of starry sky the Hand of God descends. Two angels flank the scene. They enclose the sky with their wings and look down at the Ark. Two smaller angels stand atop the Ark, reaching down to it. The Ark of the Covenant is shown as a gold box with side rails for carrying.
Along the bottom of the mosaic is a Latin text, which reads:
ORACLUM SCM ET CERUBIN HIC ASPICE SPECTANS ET TESTAMENTI MICAT ARCA DEI HAEC CERNENS PRECIBUSQUE STUDENS PULSARE TONANTEM THEODULFUM VOTIS IUNGITO QUAESO TUIS
"As you gaze upon the holy propitiatorium and Cherubim, beholder,
and see the shimmering of the Ark of God's covenant, perceiving these things, and prepared to beset the Thunderer with prayers, add, I beg you, Theodulf's name to your invocations." (transation from Wikpedia)
For a total of the mosaic see the previous uploads. Here is a detail (rotated).
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
05 Feb 2015 |
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
This magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
The mosaic, made of glass and colored stone, is symmetrical, centering on the Ark of the Covenant. In a small area of starry sky the Hand of God descends. Two angels flank the scene. They enclose the sky with their wings and look down at the Ark. Two smaller angels stand atop the Ark, reaching down to it. The Ark of the Covenant is shown as a gold box with side rails for carrying.
Along the bottom of the mosaic is a Latin text, which reads:
ORACLUM SCM ET CERUBIN HIC ASPICE SPECTANS ET TESTAMENTI MICAT ARCA DEI HAEC CERNENS PRECIBUSQUE STUDENS PULSARE TONANTEM THEODULFUM VOTIS IUNGITO QUAESO TUIS
"As you gaze upon the holy propitiatorium and Cherubim, beholder,
and see the shimmering of the Ark of God's covenant, perceiving these things, and prepared to beset the Thunderer with prayers, add, I beg you, Theodulf's name to your invocations." (transation from Wikpedia)
For a total of the mosaic see the previous uploads. Here is a detail (rotated).
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
05 Feb 2015 |
|
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. It was consecrated on January 3, 806.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
This magnificent apse mosaic was hidden under whitewash (what may have saved it during the French Revolution). It got discovered in 1840, after local kids played with coloured glass cubes - of unknown origin.
This great work of medieval art has no parallel in France and was surely done by an artist from the East. At the time this mosaic was created, the controvery over Iconoclasm was still going on in the Byzantine Empire. All forms of religious imagery were banned in the East - and many gifted artists fled to the West. Maybe the artist, who worked here, was one of them.
The mosaic, made of glass and colored stone, is symmetrical, centering on the Ark of the Covenant. In a small area of starry sky the Hand of God descends. Two angels flank the scene. They enclose the sky with their wings and look down at the Ark. Two smaller angels stand atop the Ark, reaching down to it. The Ark of the Covenant is shown as a gold box with side rails for carrying.
Along the bottom of the mosaic is a Latin text, which reads:
ORACLUM SCM ET CERUBIN HIC ASPICE SPECTANS ET TESTAMENTI MICAT ARCA DEI HAEC CERNENS PRECIBUSQUE STUDENS PULSARE TONANTEM THEODULFUM VOTIS IUNGITO QUAESO TUIS
"As you gaze upon the holy propitiatorium and Cherubim, beholder, and see the shimmering of the Ark of God's covenant, perceiving these things, and prepared to beset the Thunderer with prayers, add, I beg you, Theodulf's name to your invocations." (transation from Wikpedia)
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
05 Feb 2015 |
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone, destroyed by the Vikings. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. The church was consecrated on January 3, 806.
Odo of Metz (aka "Odo of Armenia") who had worked as a master builder/architect already in Aachen may have worked here as well. The style is clearly influenced by byzantine or even moorish ideas.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
Under the dome in the center of the oratory.
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
05 Feb 2015 |
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone, destroyed by the Vikings. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. The church was consecrated on January 3, 806.
Odo of Metz (aka "Odo of Armenia") who had worked as a master builder/architect already in Aachen may have worked here as well. The style is clearly influenced by byzantine or even moorish ideas.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
An altar is placed in the very center of the oratory, under the dome.
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
04 Feb 2015 |
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone, destroyed by the Vikings. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. The church was consecrated on January 3, 806.
Odo of Metz (aka "Odo of Armenia") who had worked as a master builder/architect already in Aachen may have worked here as well. The style is clearly influenced by byzantine or even moorish ideas.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
As the western wall of the oratory was removed - the carolingian oratory now is "open".
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
04 Feb 2015 |
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone, destroyed by the Vikings. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. The church was consecrated on January 3, 806.
Odo of Metz (aka "Odo of Armenia") who had worked as a master builder/architect already in Aachen may have worked here as well. The style is clearly influenced by byzantine or even moorish ideas.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
Standing in the nave. As the western wall of the oratory was removed - the carolingian oratory now is "open".
Germigny-des-Prés - Oratory
04 Feb 2015 |
|
|
This small church in a Germigny des Pres (pop. 750), was built to serve as the private chapel of Bishop Theodulf of Orléans, who had a sumptuous "villa" here.
Theodulf, one of Charlemagne's important counselors, had written the Libri Carolini (aka "Opus Caroli regis contra synodum") at Charles´ request, before Charlemagne appointed him Bishop of Orléans as well as abbot of Fleury Abbey (= "St-Benoit-sur-Loire"), just 7kms east.
All the remains of the residence are gone, destroyed by the Vikings. The "oratorium", that has many parallels to Charlemagne´s palace chapel in Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle"), is the last remaining structure. The church was consecrated on January 3, 806.
Odo of Metz (aka "Odo of Armenia") who had worked as a master builder/architect already in Aachen may have worked here as well. The style is clearly influenced by byzantine or even moorish ideas.
In 817, three years after Charlemagne had died, Theodulf was accused of treason and imprisoned in Angers until he died in 821.
The church became part of a priory and was used by the parish since the 13th century, when the western wall and apse were removed to make way for a traditional Latin nave. That Romanesque nave was in turn replaced by the present larger one in the 15th or 16th century.
The renovation, that was completed end of the 19th century, was not done with much "respect": much of the Carolingian masonry was replaced, two flanking apsidioles were removed, the crossing tower was shortened, most capitals were replaced. But this is still a wonderful carolingian chapel and one of the oldest still existing in France.
Beauvais - Cathedral
19 Aug 2014 |
|
|
The "Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Beauvais" is incomplete. Only the transept (16th c.) and choir, with apse and apsidal chapels (13th c.) are standing after a tragic history.
The erection of the cathedral began in 1225. Within the 13th century, there was a race for the largest and tallest cathedral and the daring builders here took part in it.
They pushed the technology to the limits. The choir was completed in 1272. Reaching 42,50m, this was the highest-vaulted cathedral in France. In 1284, 12 years after completion, parts of the vaults collapsed. The choir got rebuilt over the next decades, but more columns were added now in chevet and choir. Due to the 100 Years War, the construction came to a complete stop in 1347.
The transepts were added to the choir 1500-1548. The vaultings of the southern transept reached 48,50m (still the highest worldwide) - and then a crossing tower was planned and built. This tower was completed in 1569, with 153m it was the highest of its time.
Four years later (1573), when the large procession had just left the cathedral on the "Feast of the Ascension", the tower collapsed. It took again years to repair the damage.
As the building of the nave that once was planned never started, the preceding Carolingian basilica was never completely demolished and a part of it survived the times. Today the church, seen here, is named "Église Notre-Dame-de-la-Basse-Œuvre".
Corbie Abbey
04 Jul 2014 |
|
A convent was founded and sponsored here around 660 by Queen Balthild (since 860 "Saint Balthild"), wife of Clovis II and mother of Chlothar III and Childeric II. The abbey got really important in early Carolingian times. It was known for its sciptorium, the Carolingian minuscule spread from here. Saint Adalard, one of Charlemagne's cousins, was abot here 780-826.
A monastery in Hethis on the River Weser among the Saxons (600kms east), was founded from here in 815 under the name "Corbeia nova“, This name did change to Corvey and since 2014 the "filia" Corvey is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Corbie Abbey was ruined during the Viking raids in 881, but got rebuilt. It was known later for its library. About 400 manuscripts were transferred to St. Germain des Prés in Paris mid 17th century. When the last monks left the abbey during the French Revolution these manuscripts were released to the market. Most of them are in St. Petersburg meanwhile, while most others, that had been transferred to nearby Amiens, are at the Bibliothèque Nationale.
The former abbey church Saint-Pierre, seen here, now serves the parish. The predecessor Romanesque church was demolished in 1501 and the building of a Gothic church started here. It was completed 1775, just before the French Revolution changed everything. The church was really large, it was 117m long, the crossing tower was 90m high. After the Revolution the church was abandoned and used as a quarry. In 1816, after long discussions, when choir and transepts were lost already, architects came up with plans, to "create" a small church out of the ruin. This church is seen here. The nave now has a lenght of 37 meters, but the western towers still reach 55m.
Here is a scale model of the church, that existed upto the French Revolution.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "carolingian" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter