Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Olaikirche
Tallinn - Oleviste kirik
04 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tallinn, the capital city of Estonia, is situated on the shore of the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea. It is only 80 kilometres south of Helsinki. From the 13th century until the first half of the 20th century Tallinn was known as Reval.
The first recorded claim over the place was laid by Denmark after a raid in 1219 led by Valdemar II. In 1227, the Order of the Brothers of the Sword conquered Reval and three years later recruited 200 Westphalian and Lower Saxon merchants from Gotland, who settled below the castle and were granted freedom of customs and land. In 1238 Reval fell back to Denmark, Under renewed Danish rule, the city rapidly grew in size and economic importance. In 1248, the Danish king granted it the Lübische Stadtrecht (town charter). Due to the strategic location, its port became a significant trade hub, especially in the 14–16th centuries when Tallinn grew in importance as the northernmost member city of the Hanseatic League.
The king of Denmark sold Reval along with other land possessions in northern Estonia to the Teutonic Knights in 1346.
The first Olaikirche was probably built in the 12th century. It was dedicated to Saint Olaf (also known as the Norwegian King Olav II Haraldsson) and was the centre of a Scandinavian community before Denmark conquered Tallinn in 1219. The first known written records of the church date from 1267. The church was extensively rebuilt in the 14th century.
In 1590, the height of the church tower was about 125 m and was a landmark for sailors (Saint Olaf was their patron saint). The tower was struck by lightning about 10 times, and the entire church burned down three times. After several rebuilds, the spire is now 123.8 metres high.
Tallinn - Niguliste kirik
27 Jan 2022 |
|
|
Tallinn, the capital city of Estonia, is situated on the shore of the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea. It is only 80 kilometres south of Helsinki. From the 13th century until the first half of the 20th century Tallinn was known as Reval.
The first recorded claim over the place was laid by Denmark after a raid in 1219 led by Valdemar II. In 1227, the Order of the Brothers of the Sword conquered Reval and three years later recruited 200 Westphalian and Lower Saxon merchants from Gotland, who settled below the castle and were granted freedom of customs and land. In 1238 Reval fell back to Denmark, Under renewed Danish rule, the city rapidly grew in size and economic importance. In 1248, the Danish king granted it the Lübische Stadtrecht (town charter). Due to the strategic location, its port became a significant trade hub, especially in the 14–16th centuries when Tallinn grew in importance as the northernmost member city of the Hanseatic League.
The king of Denmark sold Reval along with other land possessions in northern Estonia to the Teutonic Knights in 1346.
The "Niguliste kirik" (St. Nicholas Church) was founded and built around 1230–1275 by Westphalian merchants.
In 1405–1420 the church obtained its current late Gothic appearance. In 1515 the tower was built higher and in the late 17th century, it got a Baroque spire with airy galleries, which was raised higher stage by stage through several centuries. The tower is now 105 metres (344.5 ft) high.
Saint Nicholas was the only church in Tallinn that remained untouched by iconoclasm brought by the Protestant Reformation in 1523. The church was converted to a Lutheran congregation in the 16th century.
In 1944, the church was severely damaged by bombing. The resulting fire turned the church into ruins and destroyed most of its interior. Most art treasures survived thanks to their timely evacuation from the church. The renovation of the church started in 1953 and was finished in 1981.
The church tower was again damaged by a fire in October 1982. The tower was burnt out. After a restoration, the church was inaugurated in 1984 as a museum and concert hall.
Tallinn - Niguliste kirik
26 Jan 2022 |
|
|
|
Tallinn, the capital city of Estonia, is situated on the shore of the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea. It is only 80 kilometres south of Helsinki. From the 13th century until the first half of the 20th century Tallinn was known as Reval.
The first recorded claim over the place was laid by Denmark after a raid in 1219 led by Valdemar II. In 1227, the Order of the Brothers of the Sword conquered Reval and three years later recruited 200 Westphalian and Lower Saxon merchants from Gotland, who settled below the castle and were granted freedom of customs and land. In 1238 Reval fell back to Denmark, Under renewed Danish rule, the city rapidly grew in size and economic importance. In 1248, the Danish king granted it the Lübische Stadtrecht (town charter). Due to the strategic location, its port became a significant trade hub, especially in the 14–16th centuries when Tallinn grew in importance as the northernmost member city of the Hanseatic League.
The king of Denmark sold Reval along with other land possessions in northern Estonia to the Teutonic Knights in 1346.
Seen from the Toompea (Domberg, Cathedral Hill) is the tower of the
"Niguliste kirik" (St. Nicholas Church). The church was founded and built around 1230–1275 by Westphalian merchants. While the city was still unfortified, the church was strongly fortified. When the fortifications around Tallinn were finished in the 14th century St. Nicholas Church lost its defensive function and became a typical medieval parish church.
Seen to the left is the tower of the "Oleviste kirik", Olaikirche.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Olaikirche" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter