Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: guild
Hull - Trinity House
24 Mar 2025 |
|
Kingston upon Hull, usually shortened to Hull, is a port city. It lies upon the River Hull at its confluence with the Humber Estuary.
The town of Wyke on Hull was founded late in the 12th century by the Cistercian monks of Meaux Abbey as a port from which to export their wool. Hull was granted a charter and given its name in 1299 by King Edward I who needed a northern port to support his wars in Scotland. It had been a market town, trading centre, fishing and whaling centre.
In 1642, shortly before the start of the English Civil War, Hull's governor openly took sides with the parliamentary side and denied King Charles I access to the city and the militarily important arsenal. He was declared a traitor and executed despite being pardoned by Parliament.
Whaling played an important role for the city until the middle of the 19th century. Hull's prosperity extended into the decades before the First World War. The whaling industry, the most important branch of deep-sea fishing, continued to decline after WWII.
During WWII, heavy bombing destroyed the port, industrial facilities and much of the city centre. 95% of Hull's buildings were either damaged or destroyed, making Hull the second most heavily bombed major British city after London. Of a population of around 320,000 at the beginning of the war, 192,000 were left homeless by the heavy destruction.
The Trinity House was founded as a religious guild in 1369, and became a guild solely concerned with seamen and an authority in maritime affairs in 1456. Trinity House has occupied its present site continuously since c1457 when a guildhall, almshouses and a chapel were built. The present buildings are later in date. The main block was built in 1753; the Guild House in 1775; the offices in 1844 and the adjoining houses in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
Pont du Gard
19 Nov 2017 |
|
Pont du Gard is a Roman aqueduct that crosses the Gardon River. It is one of the best preserved aqueducts and part of the Nîmes aqueduct, a 50-kilometre system built in the first century AD to carry water from a spring t Uzès to Nîmes, a Roman colony named Nemausus.
After the Roman Empire collapsed, the aqueduct fell into disuse. The Pont du Gard remained largely intact, due to the importance of its secondary function. It was used as a toll bridge, so for centuries the local lords and bishops were responsible for its upkeep.
Starting in the 18th century the Pont du Gard became a tourist destination. Today it is one of France's most popular tourist attractions with about 1.4 million visitors per year, who all take photos...
For centuries, Pont du Gard was a huge, unattended structure, so it is no surprise, that it is covered by graffiti. Most date from the 19th century, when tourists came here, and "left" names and dates.
More guild-symbols (maybe!), just like the three hammers (previous upload), here is another hammer (left). In the center is a hammer and two compasses. "Hammer and compass" was the guild symbol of bricklayers. It could as well be a Masonic symbol. The graffito is too old to stand for the national emblem of "East Germany" (GDR).
In medieval times the "journeymen" had to travel - and learn for years, before they were allowed to settle down. Some such guilds still exist.
"Die Freien Vogtländer" is a German guild
www.freie-vogtlaender.eu/de/
This guild is a member of the
"Conféderation Compagnonnages Europäische Gesellenzünfte"
cceg.eu/?lang=en
Pont du Gard
19 Nov 2017 |
|
Pont du Gard is a Roman aqueduct that crosses the Gardon River. It is one of the best preserved aqueducts and part of the Nîmes aqueduct, a 50-kilometre system built in the first century AD to carry water from a spring at Uzès to Nîmes, a Roman colony named Nemausus.
After the Roman Empire collapsed, the aqueduct fell into disuse. The Pont du Gard remained largely intact, due to the importance of its secondary function. It was used as a toll bridge, so for centuries the local lords and bishops were responsible for its upkeep.
Starting in the 18th century the Pont du Gard became a tourist destination. Today it is one of France's most popular tourist attractions with about 1.4 million visitors per year, who all take photos...
For centuries, Pont du Gard was a huge, unattended structure, so it is no surprise, that it is covered by graffiti. Most date from the 19th century, when tourists came here, and "left" names and dates. Here are three, that may have been carved by travelling smiths or roofers, as both guilds used a hammer as their symbol.
In medieval times the "journeymen" had to travel - and learn for years, before they were allowed to settle down. Some such guilds still exist.
"Die Freien Vogtländer" is a German guild
www.freie-vogtlaender.eu/de/
This guild is a member of the
"Conféderation Compagnonnages Europäische Gesellenzünfte"
cceg.eu/?lang=en
Ghent - Sint-Niklaaskerk
15 Nov 2016 |
|
|
The erection of the Sint-Niklaaskerk (= Saint Nicholas' Church) started in the 13th century and replaced earlier Romanesque church here. It was built in a Gothic style, that later got typical for the area.
This is not the bishop´s chathedral. This church, located next to the busy Kornmarkt, was dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of merchants, sailors, coopers and pawnbrokers. So the guilds greatly funded this building. Later the guilds even had their own chapels, added to the sides of the church.
Ghent - Belfort van Gent
15 Nov 2016 |
|
Standing on the steps to the Saint Bavo Cathedral (= Sint Baafskathedraal), that was hidden under scaffoldings in spring 2015.
Seen here is the 91-metre-tall Belfort van Gent, a medieval tower overlooking the centre of Ghent. The construction of the belfry began around 1313. It was completed in 1380 and a gilded dragon got its place atop the tower.
The uppermost parts of the tower have been rebuilt several times. The stone spire of today replaced a neoGothic one, that was demolished around 1912.
The hall adjoining the belfry was built to headquarter the affairs of the cloth trade from 1425 to 1445. Inside, woollens were officially inspected and measured; transactions were negotiated. When the cloth trade declined, other business and offices moved in but as the guild still exists, there is still a room for them here.
Sint-Niklaaskerk is seen in the backdrop.
Ghent - Sint-Niklaaskerk
15 Nov 2016 |
|
|
Sint-Niklaaskerk (= Saint Nicholas' Church) as seen from the bridge over the Leie river. The erection of this large church started in the 13th century and replaced earlier Romanesque church here. It was built in a Gothic style, that later got typical for the area.
This is not the bishop´s chathedral. This church, located next to the busy Kornmarkt, was dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of merchants, sailors, coopers and pawnbrokers. So the guilds greatly funded this building. Later the guilds even had their own chapels, added to the sides of the church.
Until the Belfry of Ghent, seen in the backdrop, was built, Sint-Niklaaskerk´s tower served as an observation post and carried the town bells.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "guild" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter