Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Loch Laich

Castle Stalker

10 Feb 2025 16
Castle Stalker is a four-storey tower house or keep, set on a tidal islet on Loch Laich, an inlet off Loch Linnhe. The castle was built around 1320 as a small fortification by the Clan MacDougall, the then Lords of Lorn. Around 1388, the castle passed into the ownership of the Stewarts, who extended it into its present form as a compact, four-storey tower house from around 1440. After several changes of ownership, the last residents of the Campbell family left the slowly decaying building around 1840. In 1908, the castle was bought by Charles Stewart of Achara, who carried out the first restoration work. In 1965, Stewart Allward took over the site and completely restored it.