Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Asam
Muenchen / Munich - Asamkirche
21 Mar 2010 |
|
"Sendlinger Strasse" - early evening. In the background the tower of the town-hall. The most remarkable building is the Asam-church on the left. Brothers Cosmas Damian Asam (1686-1739) and Egid Quirin Asam (1692-1750) were the undisputed bavarian masters of the late Baroque. Kind of popstars of Rococo. They lived in the house left of the church and when they had the chance to buy the adjacent plot (only 176m²), they did - and built their own private church. It is like a sample case of their abilities. Meanwhile it is of course open to the public, but closed early evenings.
Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram
17 Jan 2013 |
|
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652.
Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here.
During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex").
The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers.
The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis".
The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram, that still has the floorplan of a Romanesque basilica.
There are three crypts under the church. Unfortunately I could only see one. I missed the crypt of St. Emmeram (8 th century) and the crypt of Blessed Ramwood (980). Seen here is the crypt of St. Wolfgang, that is placed under the western transept.
Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram
17 Jan 2013 |
|
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652.
Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here.
During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex"). - The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers.
The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis".
The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram. The narthex seen here still has some Romanesque reliefs.
Freising - Cathedral
22 Mar 2010 |
|
The interior of the "Mariendom". Once romanesque, later gothic - now late, flamboyant baroque. The ceiling was done by the Asam-brothers (see Munich) in about 18 months. Notice, that the choir elevated. Under the choir is the crypt. This was the bishop´s seat over centuries upto 1821, when the "Diocese Freising" got a new status as "Archdiocese of Munich and Freising". Since then this
is a co-cathedral. The other one is "Liebfrauen" in Munich. On the left, you see conservators at work.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Asam" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter