Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Côte d'Azur
Cannes - Notre-Dame-d'Espérance
05 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
In medieval times, there were not only fishermen here, but as well monks, as Cannes belonged to the Abbaye de Lérins.
Around 1530, Cannes detached from the monks who had controlled the city for hundreds of years and became independent.
The monks had built a fortified monastery at the top of the hill of Suquet which dominates the bay from the 11th century on.
The construction of the Gothic parish church, begun in 1521 on the funds of the Cannes residents, and was not completed until 1627.
Cannes - Notre-Dame-d'Espérance
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
In medieval times, there were not only fishermen here, but as well monks, as Cannes belonged to the Abbaye de Lérins.
Around 1530, Cannes detached from the monks who had controlled the city for hundreds of years and became independent.
The monks had built a fortified monastery at the top of the hill of Suquet which dominates the bay from the 11th century on.
The construction of the parish church, begun in 1521 on the funds of the Cannes residents, and was not completed until 1627. The church is Gothic in style, though the porch is in the Renaissance style .
Cannes
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
Cannes, seen from the top of the hill of Suquet.
Cannes - Tour du Masque
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
In medieval times, there were not only fishermen here, but as well monks, as Cannes belonged to the Abbaye de Lérins.
Over centuries Cannes was exposed to raids by pirates. Around 1530, Cannes detached from the monks who had controlled the city for hundreds of years and became independent.
The monks had built a fortified monastery at the top of the hill of Suquet which dominates the bay from the 11th century on. Conventual building, it is built on a quadrangular plan, like that of a castle with a keep, and it incorporates in its defensive enclosure a main building and a chapel. In the middle of the central courtyard stands a square tower whose height could allow the lookout.
In 1635 the Lerin islands were captured by the Spanish. Two years later, the islands was retaken by the French. Later Vauban fortified the island of Sainte-Marguerite with an efficient defense system. The fort became a state prison used by all regimes. One of the prisoners kept here was the "Man in the Iron Mask", a (still) unidentified man who was arrested in 1669 and subsequently held in a number of French prisons. He spent 11 years on St. Marguerite Island and died 1703 in the Bastille in Paris.
According to local legend, the Man in the Iron Mask escaped from Sainte-Marguerite island and spent the last years of his life in this 12th-century tower, but that´s just a legend.
Cannes - Le Suquet
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
In medieval times, there were not only fishermen here, but as well monks, as Cannes belonged to the Abbaye de Lérins.
Over centuries Cannes was exposed to raids by pirates. Around 1530, Cannes detached from the monks who had controlled the city for hundreds of years and became independent.
The monks had built a fortified monastery at the top of the hill of Suquet which dominates the bay from the 11th century on. Conventual building, it is built on a quadrangular plan, like that of a castle with a keep, and it incorporates in its defensive enclosure a main building and a chapel. In the middle of the central courtyard stands a square tower whose height could allow the lookout.
It was sold as national property during the Revolution and served as a dwelling until 1878. In 1919, the municipality of Cannes acquired all the buildings to house its museum.
Cannes - Carlton Hotel
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
The Carlton Hotel, meanwhile part of the InterContinental chain, was built from 1909 to 1911.
The hotel was a central location for the Alfred Hitchcock film "To Catch a Thief" (1955), as well as in 1970 Peter Sellers´and Goldie Hawn´s comedy "There's a Girl in My Soup".
During the annual film festival "Festival de Cannes", movie stars from around the world live here.
Cannes
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century, when it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here.
In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful".
Since then Cannes has stretched itself all along the coast.
More than three million tourists visit Cannes per year. There are about 130 hotels with some 8000 rooms, three casinos, restaurants, cafes, clubs, discos....
Abbaye de Lérins
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
Already about 20 years later, the monastery was large and St. Honorat wrote a rule whose first draft, the "Rule of the Four Fathers", was the first of its kind in France.
In the 5th and 6th centuries, the monastery attracted monks who ensured its prestige. Saint Patrick studied here before embarking on the evangelization of Ireland. Saint Quenin, bishop of Vaison-la-Romaine, was also a monk here. Saint Loup de Troyes, Saint Jacques de Tarentaise and Saint Apollinaire also came from this abbey.
At the end of the 6th century, the monks adopted the rule of Benedict of Nursia. In the following centuries, the monastery was raided at different times by Saraszen troops. Around 732, five hundred members of the community were massacred on the island by the invaders. One of the few survivors, Saint Elenthère, built a new monastery on the ruins of the old one.
Around Lérins joined the Cluniac reform. The monastery benefited from numerous donations and spread throughout Provence, where a hundred priories were founded.
During the Middle Ages, the monks were obliged to take an active part in defending the coasts against incursions of the Moors of Algeria, and a fortified monastery was built. The island became a very popular place of pilgrimage during this time.
In 1400, the island was sacked by Genoese pirates.
The abbey was an important strategic position during the Franco-Spanish wars. In 1635 the island was captured by the Spanish and the monks were expelled. They returned from exile two years later, when the island was retaken by the French. The monastery continued to suffer from Spanish and Genoese attacks. The number of monks dwindled to four and the monastery was disestablished in 1787. In the French Revolution, the island became the property of the state, and was sold to wealthy Mademoiselle de Sainval, who lived there for twenty years.
In 1859, the island was bought by the Bishop of Fréjus. Ten years later, a Cistercian community was founded, which has remained there since.
The "Chapelle de la Trinité" ("Trinity Chapel") was probably erected in the 9th or 10th century and may be the oldest still existing structure on the island. Unfortunately it was locked.
The apse has the layout of a clover leaf (see "Groß St. Martin" Cologne or Heiligkreuzkapelle" Val Müstair). This may have even (similar to the oratory in Germigny-des-Prés) not have the long nave. So it may have been round.
I could not find out.
Abbaye de Lérins
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
Already about 20 years later, the monastery was large and St. Honorat wrote a rule whose first draft, the "Rule of the Four Fathers", was the first of its kind in France.
In the 5th and 6th centuries, the monastery attracted monks who ensured its prestige. Saint Patrick studied here before embarking on the evangelization of Ireland. Saint Quenin, bishop of Vaison-la-Romaine, was also a monk here. Saint Loup de Troyes, Saint Jacques de Tarentaise and Saint Apollinaire also came from this abbey.
At the end of the 6th century, the monks adopted the rule of Benedict of Nursia. In the following centuries, the monastery was raided at different times by Saraszen troops. Around 732, five hundred members of the community were massacred on the island by the invaders. One of the few survivors, Saint Elenthère, built a new monastery on the ruins of the old one.
Around Lérins joined the Cluniac reform. The monastery benefited from numerous donations and spread throughout Provence, where a hundred priories were founded.
During the Middle Ages, the monks were obliged to take an active part in defending the coasts against incursions of the Moors of Algeria, and a fortified monastery was built. The island became a very popular place of pilgrimage during this time.
In 1400, the island was sacked by Genoese pirates.
The abbey was an important strategic position during the Franco-Spanish wars. In 1635 the island was captured by the Spanish and the monks were expelled. They returned from exile two years later, when the island was retaken by the French. The monastery continued to suffer from Spanish and Genoese attacks. The number of monks dwindled to four and the monastery was disestablished in 1787. In the French Revolution, the island became the property of the state, and was sold to wealthy Mademoiselle de Sainval, who lived there for twenty years.
In 1859, the island was bought by the Bishop of Fréjus. Ten years later, a Cistercian community was founded, which has remained there since.
Around 1070 the construction of a fortified tower started, to serve as a refuge for the monks from the repeated attacks. Other developments were added to the initial tower. The basement, excavated in the 11th and 13th centuries, has cellars used to store the monks' food, as well as an oil mill and a bread oven.
In 2021 the tower was under renovation, so we could not see the two cloisters inside.
Abbaye de Lérins
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
Already about 20 years later, the monastery was large and St. Honorat wrote a rule whose first draft, the "Rule of the Four Fathers", was the first of its kind in France.
In the 5th and 6th centuries, the monastery attracted monks who ensured its prestige. Saint Patrick studied here before embarking on the evangelization of Ireland. Saint Quenin, bishop of Vaison-la-Romaine, was also a monk here. Saint Loup de Troyes, Saint Jacques de Tarentaise and Saint Apollinaire also came from this abbey.
At the end of the 6th century, the monks adopted the rule of Benedict of Nursia. In the following centuries, the monastery was raided at different times by Saraszen troops. Around 732, five hundred members of the community were massacred on the island by the invaders. One of the few survivors, Saint Elenthère, built a new monastery on the ruins of the old one.
Around Lérins joined the Cluniac reform. The monastery benefited from numerous donations and spread throughout Provence, where a hundred priories were founded.
During the Middle Ages, the monks were obliged to take an active part in defending the coasts against incursions of the Moors of Algeria, and a fortified monastery was built. The island became a very popular place of pilgrimage during this time.
In 1400, the island was sacked by Genoese pirates.
The abbey was an important strategic position during the Franco-Spanish wars. In 1635 the island was captured by the Spanish and the monks were expelled. They returned from exile two years later, when the island was retaken by the French. The monastery continued to suffer from Spanish and Genoese attacks. The number of monks dwindled to four and the monastery was disestablished in 1787. In the French Revolution, the island became the property of the state, and was sold to wealthy Mademoiselle de Sainval, who lived there for twenty years.
In 1859, the island was bought by the Bishop of Fréjus. Ten years later, a Cistercian community was founded, which has remained there since.
Abbaye de Lérins
04 Oct 2021 |
|
|
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
Already about 20 years later, the monastery was large and St. Honorat wrote a rule whose first draft, the "Rule of the Four Fathers", was the first of its kind in France.
In the 5th and 6th centuries, the monastery attracted monks who ensured its prestige. Saint Patrick studied here before embarking on the evangelization of Ireland. Saint Quenin, bishop of Vaison-la-Romaine, was also a monk here. Saint Loup de Troyes, Saint Jacques de Tarentaise and Saint Apollinaire also came from this abbey.
At the end of the 6th century, the monks adopted the rule of Benedict of Nursia. In the following centuries, the monastery was raided at different times by Saraszen troops. Around 732, five hundred members of the community were massacred on the island by the invaders. One of the few survivors, Saint Elenthère, built a new monastery on the ruins of the old one.
Around Lérins joined the Cluniac reform. The monastery benefited from numerous donations and spread throughout Provence, where a hundred priories were founded.
During the Middle Ages, the monks were obliged to take an active part in defending the coasts against incursions of the Moors of Algeria, and a fortified monastery was built. The island became a very popular place of pilgrimage during this time.
In 1400, the island was sacked by Genoese pirates.
The abbey was an important strategic position during the Franco-Spanish wars. In 1635 the island was captured by the Spanish and the monks were expelled. They returned from exile two years later, when the island was retaken by the French. The monastery continued to suffer from Spanish and Genoese attacks. The number of monks dwindled to four and the monastery was disestablished in 1787. In the French Revolution, the island became the property of the state, and was sold to wealthy Mademoiselle de Sainval, who lived there for twenty years.
In 1859, the island was bought by the Bishop of Fréjus. Ten years later, a Cistercian community was founded, which has remained there since.
Île Saint-Honorat
03 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Saint Honorat is the second largest of the Lérins Islands, which lie only a quarter of an hour's boat ride from Cannes in the Mediterranean Sea.
The island, which was already known to the Romans, is named after Saint Honoratus, who retired to the uninhabited island around 410 to live as a hermit. Soon after, however, many of his disciples settled here and soon formed a monastic community.
The tradition is carried on today by Cistercians.
Cannes - Plage de la Croisette
03 Oct 2021 |
|
Cannes was a fishing village up to the mid 19th century. When it was "found" by french and foreign aristocrats who built holidays homes here. In early 1870 the "Croisette" was built, still considered the "meeting place of the rich and beautiful". In early June, the beach along the "Croisette" is still pretty empty.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Côte d'Azur" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter