Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Collégiale Notre-Dame

Mehun-sur-Yèvre - Collégiale Notre-Dame

26 Feb 2021 194
Mehun-sur-Yèvre has been known since the ninth century. Originally under the rule of the Archbishop of Bourges, the city came into the possession of the House of France-Courtenay. Later the rule passed to John of Luxembourg (aka "John the Blind"), King of Bohemia, whose daughter Jutta of Luxemburg was married to the French King John II ("Jean II le Bon"). Mehun-sur-Yèvre grew around the church and the castle. The castle destroyed during the French Revolution (a miniature can be seen in the "Très Riches Heures"). The Romanesque church was built in the middle of the 11th century. Several choirs are connected to the ambulatory. It rests on the remains of the city fortifications. In 1429, after the coronation of Charles VII in Reims, Jeanne d'Arc arrived in Mehun-sur-Yèvre. She led some military actions from here. Jeanne d'Arc was staying in the house of Renault Thierry, then King Charles VII's surgeon.

Mehun-sur-Yèvre - Collégiale Notre-Dame

26 Feb 2021 148
Mehun-sur-Yèvre has been known since the ninth century. Originally under the rule of the Archbishop of Bourges, the city came into the possession of the House of France-Courtenay. Later the rule passed to John of Luxembourg (aka "John the Blind"), King of Bohemia, whose daughter Jutta of Luxemburg was married to the French King John II ("Jean II le Bon"). Mehun-sur-Yèvre grew around the church and the castle. The castle destroyed during the French Revolution (a miniature can be seen in the "Très Riches Heures"). The Romanesque church was built in the middle of the 11th century. Several choirs are connected to the ambulatory. It rests on the remains of the city fortifications. In 1429, after the coronation of Charles VII in Reims, Jeanne d'Arc arrived in Mehun-sur-Yèvre. She led some military actions from here. Jeanne d'Arc was staying in the house of Renault Thierry, then King Charles VII's surgeon.

Mehun-sur-Yèvre - Collégiale Notre-Dame

26 Feb 2021 1 156
Mehun-sur-Yèvre has been known since the ninth century. Originally under the rule of the Archbishop of Bourges, the city came into the possession of the House of France-Courtenay. Later the rule passed to John of Luxembourg (aka "John the Blind"), King of Bohemia, whose daughter Jutta of Luxemburg was married to the French King John II ("Jean II le Bon"). Mehun-sur-Yèvre grew around the church and the castle. The castle destroyed during the French Revolution (a miniature can be seen in the "Très Riches Heures"). The Romanesque church was built in the middle of the 11th century. Several choirs are connected to the ambulatory. It rests on the remains of the city fortifications. In 1429, after the coronation of Charles VII in Reims, Jeanne d'Arc arrived in Mehun-sur-Yèvre. She led some military actions from here. Jeanne d'Arc was staying in the house of Renault Thierry, then King Charles VII's surgeon.

Lamballe - Collégiale Notre-Dame

28 Sep 2018 1 156
Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the Counts of Penthièvre, In 1083 Geoffroy Botterel, Count of Penthièvre, donated a priory in Lamballe to the Abbey of Marmoutiers. At that time a chapel is mentioned, that was part of the Count´s castle. This was a predecessor of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame, as this was closely linked to the castle, that got finally dismanteled in 1569 by command of Cardinal de Richelieu. The erection of the collegiate church started in the late 12th century. Around 1200 the church got consecrated, though this was still a construction side. Works stopped for many decades due to political unrest. Around 1350 the church got fortified and was part of the castles fortification. Work continued now in flamboyant Gothic style, chapels were added, the church got enlarged and - after the castle was destroyed the building crumbled. Within the 18th century rebuilding was discussed, as the church got "unstable". During the Revolution the church got plundered and then was a "Temple de la Raison" ("Temple de la Raison"). The collegiate church continued to deteriorate and finally the repairs started. The nave was deconstructed and then rebuilt in its original state. The works were completed in 1857. The (rconstructed) nave from the early 13th century - and the large choir from the 14th and 15th century.

Lamballe - Collégiale Notre-Dame

28 Sep 2018 176
Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the Counts of Penthièvre, In 1083 Geoffroy Botterel, Count of Penthièvre, donated a priory in Lamballe to the Abbey of Marmoutiers. At that time a chapel is mentioned, that was part of the Count´s castle. This was a predecessor of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame, as this was closely linked to the castle, that got finally dismanteled in 1569 by command of Cardinal de Richelieu. The erection of the collegiate church started in the late 12th century. Around 1200 the church got consecrated, though this was still a construction side. Works stopped for many decades due to political unrest. Around 1350 the church got fortified and was part of the castles fortification. Work continued now in flamboyant Gothic style, chapels were added, the church got enlarged and - after the castle was destroyed the building crumbled. Within the 18th century rebuilding was discussed, as the church got "unstable". During the Revolution the church got plundered and then was a "Temple de la Raison" ("Temple de la Raison"). The collegiate church continued to deteriorate and finally the repairs started. The nave was deconstructed and then rebuilt in its original state. The works were completed in 1857. One of the capitals, that flank the Romanesque portal.

Lamballe - Collégiale Notre-Dame

28 Sep 2018 1 1 190
Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the Counts of Penthièvre, In 1083 Geoffroy Botterel, Count of Penthièvre, donated a priory in Lamballe to the Abbey of Marmoutiers. At that time a chapel is mentioned, that was part of the Count´s castle. This was a predecessor of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame, as this was closely linked to the castle, that got finally dismanteled in 1569 by command of Cardinal de Richelieu. The erection of the collegiate church started in the late 12th century. Around 1200 the church got consecrated, though this was still a construction side. Works stopped for many decades due to political unrest. Around 1350 the church got fortified and was part of the castles fortification. Work continued now in flamboyant Gothic style, chapels were added, the church got enlarged and - after the castle was destroyed the building crumbled. Within the 18th century rebuilding was discussed, as the church got "unstable". During the Revolution the church got plundered and then was a "Temple de la Raison" ("Temple de la Raison"). The collegiate church continued to deteriorate and finally the repairs started. The nave was deconstructed and then rebuilt in its original state. The works were completed in 1857. The Romanesque portal.

Lamballe - Collégiale Notre-Dame

28 Sep 2018 1 1 130
Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the Counts of Penthièvre, In 1083 Geoffroy Botterel, Count of Penthièvre, donated a priory in Lamballe to the Abbey of Marmoutiers. At that time a chapel is mentioned, that was part of the Count´s castle. This was a predecessor of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame, as this was closely linked to the castle, that got finally dismanteled in 1569 by command of Cardinal de Richelieu. The erection of the collegiate church started in the late 12th century. Around 1200 the church got consecrated, though this was still a construction side. Works stopped for many decades due to political unrest. Around 1350 the church got fortified and was part of the castles fortification. Work continued now in flamboyant Gothic style, chapels were added, the church got enlarged and - after the castle was destroyed the building crumbled. Within the 18th century rebuilding was discussed, as the church got "unstable". During the Revolution the church got plundered and then was a "Temple de la Raison" ("Temple de la Raison"). The collegiate church continued to deteriorate and finally the repairs started. The nave was deconstructed and then rebuilt in its original state. The works were completed in 1857. The Romanesque portal (12c) is flanked by Gothic windows (14c).

Lamballe - Collégiale Notre-Dame

27 Sep 2018 2 4 305
Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the Counts of Penthièvre, In 1083 Geoffroy Botterel, Count of Penthièvre, donated a priory in Lamballe to the Abbey of Marmoutiers. At that time a chapel is mentioned, that was part of the Count´s castle. This was a predecessor of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame, as this was closely linked to the castle, that got finally dismanteled in 1569 by command of Cardinal de Richelieu. The erection of the collegiate church started in the late 12th century. Around 1200 the church got consecrated, though this was still a construction side. Works stopped for many decades due to political unrest. Around 1350 the church got fortified and was part of the castles fortification. Work continued now in flamboyant Gothic style, chapels were added, the church got enlarged and - after the castle was destroyed the building crumbled. Within the 18th century rebuilding was discussed, as the church got "unstable". During the Revolution the church got plundered and then was a "Temple de la Raison" ("Temple de la Raison"). The collegiate church continued to deteriorate and finally the repairs started. The nave was deconstructed and then rebuilt in its original state. The works were completed in 1857.

Beaune - Collégiale Notre-Dame de Beaune

24 May 2017 1 1 213
The Collégiale Notre-Dame was founded in Beaune within the 10th century. The building of this church, which is a parish church since the French Revolution started in romanesque style within the 12th century. Looking down the nave to the choir, aisles to the sides, behind the pillars. The walls have three levels, probably like Cluny III. Lots of light is in the building, as even the clearstory, under the vaults, have windows.

Beaune - Collégiale Notre-Dame de Beaune

24 May 2017 172
The Collégiale Notre-Dame was founded in Beaune within the 10th century. The building of this church, which is a parish church since the French Revolution started in romanesque style within the 12th century. Seen from the back, the romanesque structure is clearly visible. The apse, surrounded by the chapels and the crossing tower, that later got a baroque "dome".

Beaune - Collégiale Notre-Dame de Beaune

24 May 2017 1 223
The Collégiale Notre-Dame was founded in Beaune within the 10th century. The building of this church, which is a parish church since the French Revolution started in romanesque style within the 12th century. Seen from the back, the romanesque structure is clearly visible, the layout in form of a latin cross - the apse, surrounded by the chapels and the crossing tower, that later got a baroque "dome".

Dole - Collégiale Notre-Dame

12 Jul 2011 206
A hungry ape in the vinyards. Well, maybe a greedy ape. This carving is near the main portal of the collegiate church Notre Dame in Dole, constructed 1506 - 1586. I am not sure about the species. This could be a bonobo, formerly known as "pygmy chimpanzee".

Dole - Collégiale Notre-Dame

12 Jul 2011 151
The massive bell tower of the collegiate church Notre Dame in Dole, constructed 1506 - 1586, reaches stunning 75 meters! - Seen in the soft evening light.