Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Saint-Gilles

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

17 Jan 2015 297
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the fifth archivolt, that has the signs of the zodiac and the labors of the months. Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution caused a great damage here, but the inscriptions are still readable. (...PISCES MA)RCIUS ARIES APRILI(S TAURUS...)

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

17 Jan 2015 329
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the fourth archivolt. The apostles have lined up, flankig Christ in the center. All sculptures have an according inscripition. Seen here is (.. MATHEAUS) EVANGLA : ANDREAS APOSTULUS IOH (EVANGLA.. ) Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution caused a great damage here. The state the carvings have now, is the result of a decade long restoration process.

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

17 Jan 2015 1 342
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the third archivolt: the "Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins". Like all archilvolts the third has an inscription, that is in total (ISTE SUNT PRUD) ENTES QUINQUE VIRGINES ADVENTI SPONSI CUM ASCENI (S LAMPADIBUS EXPECTANTES VENIENTIS) The inscription to the right is about vices and virtues (see previous upload). Seen here IRA : PALIENC(IA) Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution caused a great damage here. The state the carvings have now, is the result of a decade long restoration process.

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

16 Jan 2015 2 348
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the second archivolt. Knights (virtues) fight beasts (vices). Here "FIDES : IDOLATRIA". Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution did a great damage here. The state the carvings have now, is the result of a decade long restoration process.

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

16 Jan 2015 3 347
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the second archivolt. Knights (virtues) fight beasts (vices). Here "(LIBID)O : CASTITAS". On the right to of the "wise virgins" of the third archivolt. Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution did a great damage here. The state the carvings have now, is the result of a decade long restoration process.

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

16 Jan 2015 1 312
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. The portal, mutilated during the French Revolution, is clearly influenced by works in Civray and Aulnay, that may only be decades older. The smallest archivolt has an Agnus Dei in the center and three slender angels on either side. The next archivolt is populated with knights fighting evil creatures. The knights symbolize virtues, the beasts symbolize the vices. This is made clear by the inscriptions (eg IRA, LARGITAS, AVARICIA, CONCORDIA..). The "Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins" can be seen on the third and the 12 apostles and Christ in the center on the fourth archivolt. The outer archivolt has the signs of the zodiac and the labors of the months.

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

16 Jan 2015 3 1 306
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. The first wedding guests have arrived in front of the portal. There is a special dress code for weddings in France. The ladies adorn themselves with extraordinary (often very large and colourful) hats, while the gentlemen like to wear dress uniforms.

Saint-Gilles

07 Oct 2009 234
..heavily vandalised during the Huguenot-wars. Here the pilgrims found the relics of Saint Gilles, who he had lived as a hermit in the area together with a hind sustaining him on her milk. King Wamba of the Visigoths shot an arrow at the hind - but wounded Saint Gilles. Wamba remoresful built him a monastery in 680 - and the Saint became the first abbot...