Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: floater

Trani - Cattedrale di San Nicola Pellegrino

13 Jun 2020 104
Trani may have been founded by Greek settlers, but the known history starts late. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, it was dominated by Lombards, Byzantines, Saracens and again Byzantines. With the conquest of southern Italy by the Normans and after 50 days of siege by Robert Guiscard´s troops, Trani became part of the Norman Empire in 1073. Already under the Byzantines, Trani had become an important port for trade with the Orient. The heyday was in the time of the crusades in the 12th and 13th centuries, when crusaders and merchants mainly went to the Holy Land from Bari and Trani. It became an episcopal see in place of Canosa, destroyed by the Saracens. Frederick II promoted the Teutonic Knights and the Jewish community and built a massive castle. Under his rule, the city reached its highest point of wealth and prosperity. The construction of the "Cattedrale di Trani" began in 1099, over the earlier church of "Santa Maria della Scala", which went back to the 4th century. It is dedicated to "San Nicola Pellegrino". Bari had the relics of "Saint Nicholas of Myra". The Bishop of Trani could convince Pope Urban II to canonized a young pilgrim, who had died on his way to Jerusalem in Trani in 1094 from exhaustion. The new church was intended to house the relics of "Saint Nicholas the Pilgrim". Pina Belli d'Elia ("Puglia romanica") is sure, that this cathedral is the most important of all romanic buildings in Apulia. The building process started at the crypt. The "translatio corporis S. Nicolai ad novam Ecclediam" took place in 1142. As parts of the old church, dedicated to Virgin Mary, were maintained, the construction is pretty complex. The "Cattedrale di Trani" was completed around 1200, the construction of the campanile started by Nicolaus Sacerdos (see "Bitonto") and completed in the mid 14th century. In the20th century the bell tower was in such a bad state, that it was completely dismantled and rebuilt in the 1950s to avoid it collapsing. The cathedral was built from white, local stones, that change the colour from white to yellowish and reddish, during the sunset. Some of the carvings around the central portal are weathered, some have survived the times (or are perfectly restored). Here is one of them, that is really fantastic, even anatomically.

Marcillac - Saint-Vincent

22 Mar 2017 206
Most of the Romanesque church erected in the 12th century and dedicated to Saint Vincent is lost or got replaced later. Parts of the impressive western facade, with the intricate friezes, survived. Here is one of them (partly seen). The "lush" style is very typical for the Saintonge area, as well as the "theme". A man entangled by vines and twiners in a jungle like environment. He seems to float in this jungle, that is populated by strange, dangerous animals (twin lions sharing one head, angry birds). These "floaters" are an icon, that can often be found here. Souls fighting the evil. Maybe..

Castel Ritaldi - San Gregorio

22 Aug 2016 1 1 254
San Gregorio, located outside a hamlet, that meanwhile is part of Castel Ritaldi, is decorated with some extraordinary carvings. Here are the archivolts over the main door. Carved in in the outer archivolt is "AN.ML.C.XLI" = 1141. Entangling vines connect a cosmos of animals (lions, birds, a boar, a dog, a hare), mythical creatures (griffons), centered around a seraphim. There is even Samson on the left - and a "floater" on the smaller archivolt.

Melle - Saint-Hilaire

25 Sep 2013 261
Melle was known already during Roman times, when silver and lead were mined here. The silver mines were exploited over hundreds of years, got forgotten and "rediscovered" in the 19th century. Today they are a tourist attraction. Melle was wealthy and the pilgrims, walking the Via Turonensis, passed through Melle on their way to Santiago, what brought even more money into town. Churches were erected during the heydays of the pilgrimage- and three (!) Romanesque churches can still be found here. Saint-Hilaire de Melle was the church of a priory, a dependency of the important Benedictian abbey in Saint-Jean-d’Angély. It was built on the bank of the Beronne river. The eastern part were built in the first half of the 12th century, while the nave and the western portals may be some decades younger. There are more than 200 carved capitals alone in- and outside this church. they are done by different carvers or studios in a large variety of qualities. Here are corbels from the higher area of the western facade. Inbetween a "floating" woman. The carving is a bit weathered, but the long, combed hair can still be seen.

Corme-Écluse - Notre-Dame

01 Sep 2013 208
Since 1104 a priory existed here, depending from the Abbaye aux Dames in Saintes. The erection of the church was completed in 1200 - and by now is the parish church for the population of Corme-Écluse. All other building, that belonged to the priory are lost. Notre Dame has a wonderful facade, a perfect example of the "style saintongeais". The carvings here are delicate like fine lace. Notre Dame has a wonderful facade, a perfect example of the "style saintongeais". The carvings are delicate like fine lace. At the corner a person that is will soon devoured by the two creatures seen left and right. Above the trio a person, "floating" in the air and holding the vines.