Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Jerichow
Redekin - Dorfkirche
30 May 2023 |
|
Redekin is a small village south of Jerichow. It has been known since 1144 and was the property of the Jerichow Monastery.
The Romanesque brick church with the wide westwork dates from around 1200 and is influenced by the church of Jerichow Monastery. Experienced craftsmen who had also worked in Jerichow probably built here.
The church was locked, but a very friendly gentleman arrived with the key and so we learned a lot about the eventful history of the place and the church. Thank you!
This was probably once the center part of a small Gothic winged altar.
Redekin - Dorfkirche
30 May 2023 |
|
|
Redekin is a small village south of Jerichow. It has been known since 1144 and was the property of the Jerichow Monastery.
The Romanesque brick church with the wide westwork dates from around 1200 and is influenced by the church of Jerichow Monastery. Experienced craftsmen who had also worked in Jerichow probably built here.
The church was locked, but a very friendly gentleman arrived with the key and so we learned a lot about the eventful history of the place and the church. Thank you!
The late Romanesque baptismal font
Redekin - Dorfkirche
30 May 2023 |
|
|
Redekin is a small village south of Jerichow. It has been known since 1144 and was the property of the Jerichow Monastery.
The Romanesque brick church with the wide westwork dates from around 1200 and is influenced by the church of Jerichow Monastery. Experienced craftsmen who had also worked in Jerichow probably built here.
The church was locked, but a very friendly gentleman arrived with the key and so we learned a lot about the eventful history of the place and the church. Thank you!
The interior.
Redekin - Dorfkirche
30 May 2023 |
|
|
Redekin is a small village south of Jerichow. It has been known since 1144 and was the property of the Jerichow Monastery.
The Romanesque brick church with the wide westwork dates from around 1200 and is influenced by the church of Jerichow Monastery. Experienced craftsmen who had also worked in Jerichow probably built here.
Redekin - Dorfkirche
29 May 2023 |
|
|
Redekin is a small village south of Jerichow. It has been known since 1144 and was the property of the Jerichow Monastery.
The Romanesque brick church with the wide westwork dates from around 1200 and is influenced by the church of Jerichow Monastery. Experienced craftsmen who had also worked in Jerichow probably built here.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Until the end of the GDR, parts of the monastery were used by a "production cooperative". A political slogan that was supposed to motivate the comrade workers to do better work is fading here.
Ewige Freundschaft mit dem Volk der Sowjetunion
Eternal friendship with the people of the Soviet Union
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Most capitals of the monastery buildings have palmette designs. Here a bird motif mixes with a palmette motif.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Most capitals of the monastery buildings have palmette designs,
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
25 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
This pillar was part of the "Chorherren Portal" (portal of the Canons). Through this portal the canons entered the church. A very interesting scene, known from a fable called "Wolf's Predigt" (wolf's sermon). A wolf disguised as a monk preaches to two geese.
Mathew 7.15
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
This pillar was part of the "Chorherren Portal" (portal of the Canons). Through this portal the canons entered the church. The column is decorated with mythical creatures.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
The two-aisled crypt. The capitals bear elaborate palmette decorations and some figurative representations from around 1180.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
Leaves and vines to the left. Talking heads to the right.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
The components of the candlestick date back to the Romanesque period.
Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow
24 May 2023 |
|
|
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity.
The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed.
The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms.
After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees.
Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery.
At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage.
Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years.
The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form.
The baptismal font
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Jerichow" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter