Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: St. George
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Calms the Storm
Marc 4,35-41
"That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?"
He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"
They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Restores a Demon-Possessed Man
Marc 5.1 - 5.13
"They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes. When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.
When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!" For Jesus had said to him, "Come out of this man, you impure spirit!"
Then Jesus asked him, "What is your name?"
"My name is Legion," he replied, "for we are many." And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.
A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. The demons begged Jesus, "Send us among the pigs, allow us to go into them." He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned."
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
John 9,1–7
"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. "Go,” he told him, "wash in the Pool of Siloam (this word means "Sent"). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing."
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century. Due to the restoration, only the left side of the nave could be seen. Without the scaffolding, the church would give an overall impression, how a church interior before the turn of the millennium looked like. The only other church similar to this is Müstair in Switzerland.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Brindisi - San Giovanni al Sepolcro
24 Sep 2020 |
|
Settlers, who did trade with Greece, lived here already during the Bronze Age. After the Punic Wars it became a major center of Roman naval power and maritime trade. After the decline of the Roman Empire Brindisi was conquered by Ostrogoths, and reconquered by the Byzantine Empire in the 6th century. In 674 it was destroyed by the Lombards led by Romuald I of Benevento, It was rebuilt and within the 9th century. It was under Saracen rule from 836 to 868, when it was retaken by the Byantines. In 1070, it was conquered by the Normans, led by Robert Guiskard.
Brindisi flourished under the Staufer and developed into a privileged port for the Holy Land during the period of Crusades. It was an Episcopal See and a new cathedral was constructed, in which the wedding of Norman Prince Roger III of Sicily and Irene Angelina, daughter of the Byzantine Emperor Isaac II Angelos took place.
Emperor Frederick II and Isabella of Brienne embarked from the port of Brindisi in 1228 for the Sixth Crusade.
-
The round-shaped church was built by the Templars on their return from the Holy Land in the 11C. Traditions know, that it was erected on behest of Norman prince Bohemond .
It recalls the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. This was a place of pilgrimage, controlled by the Order of Canons of the Holy Sepulcher. In fact, for those who arrived, the building was an advance of that of Jerusalem while for those who returned, a memory.
In 1489 Pope Innocent VIII declared the Order of Canons of the Holy Sepulcher to be extinct and decreed that its assets be transferred to the Order of the Hospital of San Giovanni in Jerusalem and Rhodes.
In 1761 an earthquake destroyed most Brindisi, the Church of San Giovanni al Sepolcro did not collapse but suffered considerable damage. This led to a long decay and the loss of 80% of the frescoed surface, until the restoration in the mid-nineteenth century which led it to serve as the temporary seat of the Civic Museum from 1850 to 1955. Excavations inside the building found ancient remains from the Roman era, including the floor of a Roman domus.
I am not sure about this fresco. There is a king on the left, the virgin on the right. In the centre is St. George, fighting the dragon. There are even the letters "G OR", but there are as well two half horses...?
As most of the frescoes were lost, maybe here some surviving parts were put together.
Maria Gail
30 Jun 2017 |
|
Maria Gail is an important center of pilgrimage in Carinthia since centuries. It is locally claimed, that Langobardian missionaries may have founded Maria Gail within the 6th century.
The church was mentioned the first time in 1136. The once massive Romanesque church got enlarged (in Gothic style) between 1400 and 1450. In 1478 the church got severely damaged by Turkish troops during the Ottoman incursions. It got rebuilt and re-consecrated in 1486.
During a renovation in 1950 late Romanesque frescoes (13th.) were discovered under the plaster along the walls of the nave.
Fixed onto the southern outer wall are some Romanesque scupltures, that probably originate from the preciding church, that was ruined by the Turkish troops.
Here is Saint George and the dragon (left) and praying person (?) and a lion holding the head of a ram (right).
Surgères - Notre-Dame
18 Oct 2013 |
|
|
Notre-Dame de Surgères was erected in the center of a large castle in the 12th century. The fortification, founded in the 9th century as a motte, when the area was raided by the Vikings, then guarded the border of the historical province of Aunis once.
When the church was built a small town had developed around the defence already. Later a small priory and a "hopital" existed, as this was a halt on the Via Turonensis. The pilgrims had a lot to gape here, the facade is stunning 23 meters wide.
Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry II of England in 1152, so the area changed hands and was ruled by the House of Plantagenet. During the Hundred Years' War Surgères experienced a long period of decline. Louis XI´s troops conquered the town in 1472 and the fortifications got destructed. During that time Notre Dame lost the tower and large parts of the nave, but not the facade!
The choir has some Romanesque capitals, here is one of them. Christ, holding the bible, flanked by two guardians. The guard to the left (archangel St. Michael?) is just spearing a dragon´s head. Hopefully he has noticed that the dragon´s head is ready to attack.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "St. George" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter