Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Saint-Philibert
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule - Happy Animals
13 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (today in Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church "Sainte Croix" became a parish church.
I had noticed the decline of many stores here several years ago. More and more businesses were given up. The situation obviously did not improve since a Lidl store opened
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule
13 Oct 2021 |
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (today in Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church "Sainte Croix" became a parish church.
I had noticed the decline of many stores here several years ago. More and more businesses were given up. The situation obviously did not improve since a Lidl store opened
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule
13 Oct 2021 |
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (today in Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church "Sainte Croix" became a parish church.
I had noticed the decline of many stores here several years ago. More and more businesses were given up. The situation obviously did not improve since a Lidl store opened
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule - Sainte Croix
13 Oct 2021 |
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (today in Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church "Sainte Croix" became a parish church.
So this was the church of monastery. The first construction phase started within the 11th century, so romanesque walls can be seen in the nave - in the first bays. Further east the structure is gothic (13th), incl. the radial chappels of the choir. The church got looted and heavily damaged during/after the French Revolution, which is still very visible. During the 19th century the church got reconstructed.
The vandals of the revolutions really took pains here and completely destroyed the medieval tympanum.
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule - Sainte Croix
12 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (today in Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church "Sainte Croix" became a parish church.
So this was the church of monastery. The first construction phase started within the 11th century, so romanesque walls can be seen in the nave - in the first bays. Further east the structure is gothic (13th), incl. the radial chappels of the choir. The church got looted and heavily damaged during/after the French Revolution, which is still very visible. During the 19th century the church got reconstructed. A neoclassical facade was added and the bell tower got a new spire.
Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule
12 Oct 2021 |
|
|
Legends tell, that in the 6th century a hermit named Porcianus, later known as Saint Pourcain founded a monastery on the height of land overlooking the river. The monastery was restored between 871 and 875 by monks of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Philibert, (Loire-Atlantique), who had fled the Noirmoutier Abbey traying to bring St. Philiberts relics into safety from the the Norman raids.
They stayed for a couple of years and settled finally in Tournus. The monastery of Saint-Pourçain became a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philibert de Tournus.
In the Middle Ages, the priory prospered as did the city.
During the French Revolution, the monastery was closed and its church became a parish church.
Seen im the forground in the belfry.
Dijon - Saint-Philibert
29 May 2017 |
|
Located next to the Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne, that in medieval times was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus, is Saint-Philibert, that served the parish since the early times. A church, dedicated to Saint Philibert, is proven here in the center of an older graveyard already in 1103, but the church of today was erected after the great fire, that destroyed most of Dijon, in 1137.
After the Revolution in 1795 the building was converted into a stable, later it was used as a depot by the armee. Returned to the city in the 1920s it got renovated from then on and used for exhibitions. The long awaited renovation failed end of the 1970s, when the pillars started to crumble. The church was closed for visitors, but meanwhile the doors are open again. The arches along the nave are stabilized by massive wooden frames.
Dijon - Saint-Philibert
29 May 2017 |
|
|
Located next to the Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne, that in medieval times was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus, is Saint-Philibert, that served the parish since the early times. A church, dedicated to Saint Philibert, is proven here in the center of an older graveyard already in 1103, but the church of today was erected after the great fire, that destroyed most of Dijon, in 1137.
The western porch was added to the Romanesque structure in the early 16th century. The bell tower was completed in 1510.
After the Revolution in 1795 the building was converted into a stable, later it was used as a depot by the armee. Returned to the city in the 1920s it got renovated from then on and used for exhibitions. The long awaited renovation failed end of the 1970s, when the pillars started to crumble. The church was closed for visitors, but meanwhile the doors are open again.
Charlieu - Saint-Philibert
23 Jul 2011 |
|
This mermaid can be seen in the left side chapel of the parish church Saint-Philibert in Charlieu. The chapel was added to the church end of 15th century. This (compared to her two collegues in the nearby abbey) small and skinny mermaid only has one tail - and holds a mirror and a comb. This are symbols of "vanitias".
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Saint-Philibert" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter