Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Krozingen
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
04 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
Inside frescoes were discovered under coats of paint in 1937. They are dated to around 1000. This may be one of the oldest depictions of Christ north of the Alps. There are strong parallels to the illuminated manuscripts, produced by monks in the famous scriptorium of the Abbey of Reichenau at the same time.
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
04 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
The frescoes show strong parallels to the illuminated manuscripts, produced by monks in the famous scriptorium of the Abbey of Reichenau at the same time. I see parallels to frescoes in Southern Tyrol as well (eg Naturns).
Here are two apostles in the niche below the mandorla.
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
04 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
The frescoes show strong parallels to the illuminated manuscripts, produced by monks in the famous scriptorium of the Abbey of Reichenau at the same time. Seen here is the beheading of John the Baptist after "Herod`s Banquet".
Matthew 14:6–11
"But on Herod's birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them: and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath, to give her whatsoever she would ask of him. But she being instructed before by her mother, said: Give me here in a dish the head of John the Baptist. And the king was struck sad: yet because of his oath, and for them that sat with him at table, he commanded it to be given. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. And his head was brought in a dish: and it was given to the damsel, and she brought it to her mother."
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
03 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
04 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
Inside frescoes were discovered under coats of paint in 1937. They are dated to around 1000. The frescoes show strong parallels to the illuminated manuscripts, produced by monks in the famous scriptorium of the Abbey of Reichenau at the same time. Seen here is "Herod`s Banquet".
Matthew 14:6–11
"But on Herod's birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them: and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath, to give her whatsoever she would ask of him. But she being instructed before by her mother, said: Give me here in a dish the head of John the Baptist. And the king was struck sad: yet because of his oath, and for them that sat with him at table, he commanded it to be given. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison."
Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
03 Jan 2021 |
|
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.
On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.
The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.
Inside are two frescoes dated to the 17th century (seen to the right) depicting. Saint Martin and John the Baptist. The sensation is the frescoes seen in the backdrop. They were discovered under coats of paint in 1937 - and are dated to around 1000.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Krozingen" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter