Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Little England Beyond Wales
Roch - Castle
08 Dec 2024 |
|
|
Roch Castle is a 12th-century castle built by Norman knight Adam de Rupe in the second half of the 12th century
It is located near the unmarked border which for centuries has separated the English and Welsh areas of Pembrokeshire.
During the English Civil War the castle was captured by the Parliamentary forces and subsequently burned in 1644.
The castle remained decaying until 1900, when purchased by John Philipps, 1st Viscount St Davids, who restored it. The castle was purchased again in 2008 and was restored as a hotel.
rochcastle.com
Haverfordwest - St Mary
08 Dec 2024 |
|
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Of the three main churches in the town, St Mary's was originally the church for the merchants. It was orinially built in the late 12th century and was probably rebuilt in the 1240s, after being damaged by Llewelyn the Great in 1220. An upper level of clerestory windows was added during the 15th century.
A gifted monkey plays the harp
Haverfordwest - St Mary
08 Dec 2024 |
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Of the three main churches in the town, St Mary's was originally the church for the merchants. It was orinially built in the late 12th century and was probably rebuilt in the 1240s, after being damaged by Llewelyn the Great in 1220. An upper level of clerestory windows was added during the 15th century.
The snake capital
Haverfordwest - St Mary
08 Dec 2024 |
|
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Of the three main churches in the town, St Mary's was originally the church for the merchants. It was orinially built in the late 12th century and was probably rebuilt in the 1240s, after being damaged by Llewelyn the Great in 1220. An upper level of clerestory windows was added during the 15th century.
The tower originally had a timber spire clad in lead, though it was removed in 1802 after becoming dangerous.
The nave
Haverfordwest - St Mary
08 Dec 2024 |
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Of the three main churches in the town, St Mary's was originally the church for the merchants. It was orinially built in the late 12th century and was probably rebuilt in the 1240s, after being damaged by Llewelyn the Great in 1220. An upper level of clerestory windows was added during the 15th century.
The tower originally had a timber spire clad in lead, though it was removed in 1802 after becoming dangerous.
A monkey
Haverfordwest - St Mary
08 Dec 2024 |
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Of the three main churches in the town, St Mary's was originally the church for the merchants. It was orinially built in the late 12th century and was probably rebuilt in the 1240s, after being damaged by Llewelyn the Great in 1220. An upper level of clerestory windows was added during the 15th century.
The tower originally had a timber spire clad in lead, though it was removed in 1802 after becoming dangerous.
Haverfordwest - Bisley H Munt & Sons
08 Dec 2024 |
|
Around 1110, a Norman castle was founded built in what is now Haverfordwest by the Norman Gilbert de Clare. Flemings, said to have arrived soon later are likely to have participated in its later development for their own and the Normans' protection from the Welsh warlords.
The Flemish presence, reputed to result from floods in the Low Countries, was more likely to have consisted initially of Flemish mercenaries originally in the invading army of William the Conqueror, who in reward for their part in William's victory were granted lands.
The town grew around the castle and the church of St Martin and later expanded to the area of today's High Street. As a result of this development, the town soon became the capital of an area known as ‘Little England Beyond Wales’, where English was spoken. The suburb of Prendergast appears to have originally been a Welsh dormitory, dating from the time when the fearful Normans tried to prevent Welsh people from entering the castle walls after dark with weapons.
Bisley H Munt & Sons is a family business and run jeweller’s and have over 200 years of combined experience. Started in 1796 by Bisley Henry Munt, the business has remained in the family ever since and is one of the oldest family-owned jeweller's in the UK.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Little England Beyond Wales" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter