Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Crucification group

Monasterio de Santa María de Valdediós

08 Oct 2024 1 38
The monastery was founded in 1200 by King Alfonso IX of León and King Berenguela of Castile by donating a place to the Cistercian Order for the construction of a monastery there. It was erected next to the pre-Romanesque church of San Salvador de Valdediós (see prev uploads). The construction of the church began in 1218 under the direction of the master Gualterius, possibly of Frankish origin, and was completed around 1225. The monastery became an important and well-endowed abbey. After a decline the monastery joined the Cistercian congregation in 1515. During the War of Independence, the monastery had to be abandoned from 1808 to 1812. It was dissolved in 1835, but some monks remained in the monastery, the last of whom died in 1862. Crucification group