Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Santuario de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros

Santuario de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros

18 Sep 2024 4 2 60
The legend tells, that at the end of the 9th century the Count of Caldelas went to the Virgin Mary, making a vow to build a hermitage there if he achieved victory in a battle. Having defeated his enemy, he fulfilled his vow and ordered the construction of the hermitage Over time, the hermitage was abandoned and overgrown. Centuries later a young shepherdess was walking here. She found the image of the Virgin in the hollow of an oak tree. The shepherdess reported this to the vicar, to whom she indicated that the Virgin had expressed her wish that the hermitage be rebuilt. An attempt was made to move the image to the local church, but the image, carried on a litter, disappeared and shortly afterwards appeared in the same oak tree in which it had been discovered, so it was decided that the hermitage would be rebuilt here. By 1731 the influx of devotees was so great that the previous sanctuary was insufficient. Thanks to the alms collected, the construction of a new temple was contemplated. In 1740 only the main chapel and the sacristies remained standing, although work continued thanks to new donations, completing the works in 1768.

Santuario de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros

18 Sep 2024 42
The legend tells, that at the end of the 9th century the Count of Caldelas went to the Virgin Mary, making a vow to build a hermitage there if he achieved victory in a battle. Having defeated his enemy, he fulfilled his vow and ordered the construction of the hermitage Over time, the hermitage was abandoned and overgrown. Centuries later a young shepherdess was walking here. She found the image of the Virgin in the hollow of an oak tree. The shepherdess reported this to the vicar, to whom she indicated that the Virgin had expressed her wish that the hermitage be rebuilt. An attempt was made to move the image to the local church, but the image, carried on a litter, disappeared and shortly afterwards appeared in the same oak tree in which it had been discovered, so it was decided that the hermitage would be rebuilt here. By 1731 the influx of devotees was so great that the previous sanctuary was insufficient. Thanks to the alms collected, the construction of a new temple was contemplated. In 1740 only the main chapel and the sacristies remained standing, although work continued thanks to new donations, completing the works in 1768.

Santuario de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros

18 Sep 2024 3 54
The legend tells, that at the end of the 9th century the Count of Caldelas went to the Virgin Mary, making a vow to build a hermitage there if he achieved victory in a battle. Having defeated his enemy, he fulfilled his vow and ordered the construction of the hermitage Over time, the hermitage was abandoned and overgrown. Centuries later a young shepherdess was walking here. She found the image of the Virgin in the hollow of an oak tree. The shepherdess reported this to the vicar, to whom she indicated that the Virgin had expressed her wish that the hermitage be rebuilt. An attempt was made to move the image to the local church, but the image, carried on a litter, disappeared and shortly afterwards appeared in the same oak tree in which it had been discovered, so it was decided that the hermitage would be rebuilt here. By 1731 the influx of devotees was so great that the previous sanctuary was insufficient. Thanks to the alms collected, the construction of a new temple was contemplated. In 1740 only the main chapel and the sacristies remained standing, although work continued thanks to new donations, completing the works in 1768.