Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Escomb Church

Escomb - Church

02 Jun 2024 44
This church is one of the oldest Anglo-Saxon churches in England. The church was founded about 670/675, when the area was part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria. Much of the stone was taken from the nearby Roman fort at Vinovia (now Binchester). Later the eaves were raised. The nave now has a crow-stepped gable at each end. Some simple Gothic windows were inserted in the 13th century and the south porch was built in the 14th century. In the 19th century more windows were inserted and a new door was installed in the porch. But the majority of the windows, small and set high in the walls, are original Anglo-Saxon work. The church is essentially little changed from when it was built. The church seated only 65 people, and in the 19th century Escomb's population outgrew it. In 1863 a new parish church, St John's, was completed. Thereafter the Anglo-Saxon church quickly fell into disrepair. By 1867 it had lost part of its roof. It was restored in 1875–80. By 1904 the roof was again in poor condition. In the 1920s the parish again raised money to restore it. In 1960 the parish agreed to refurbish the building. The plan was now for electric lighting and heating to be installed. In 1967 restoration of the Anglo-Saxon church was begun, in 1969 it reverted to being the parish church again. A complex carving found here

Escomb - Church

02 Jun 2024 51
This church is one of the oldest Anglo-Saxon churches in England. The church was founded about 670/675, when the area was part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria. Much of the stone was taken from the nearby Roman fort at Vinovia (now Binchester). Later the eaves were raised. The nave now has a crow-stepped gable at each end. Some simple Gothic windows were inserted in the 13th century and the south porch was built in the 14th century. In the 19th century more windows were inserted and a new door was installed in the porch. But the majority of the windows, small and set high in the walls, are original Anglo-Saxon work. The church is essentially little changed from when it was built. The church seated only 65 people, and in the 19th century Escomb's population outgrew it. In 1863 a new parish church, St John's, was completed. Thereafter the Anglo-Saxon church quickly fell into disrepair. By 1867 it had lost part of its roof. It was restored in 1875–80. By 1904 the roof was again in poor condition. In the 1920s the parish again raised money to restore it. In 1960 the parish agreed to refurbish the building. The plan was now for electric lighting and heating to be installed. In 1967 restoration of the Anglo-Saxon church was begun, in 1969 it reverted to being the parish church again. This cross was probably carved in the early times of Christianity in Anglo-Saxon England, as the cross is even older than thius church.

Escomb - Church

02 Jun 2024 8 3 107
This church is one of the oldest Anglo-Saxon churches in England. The church was founded about 670/675, when the area was part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria. Much of the stone was taken from the nearby Roman fort at Vinovia (now Binchester). Later the eaves were raised. The nave now has a crow-stepped gable at each end. Some simple Gothic windows were inserted in the 13th century and the south porch was built in the 14th century. In the 19th century more windows were inserted and a new door was installed in the porch. But the majority of the windows, small and set high in the walls, are original Anglo-Saxon work. The church is essentially little changed from when it was built. The church seated only 65 people, and in the 19th century Escomb's population outgrew it. In 1863 a new parish church, St John's, was completed. Thereafter the Anglo-Saxon church quickly fell into disrepair. By 1867 it had lost part of its roof. It was restored in 1875–80. By 1904 the roof was again in poor condition. In the 1920s the parish again raised money to restore it. In 1960 the parish agreed to refurbish the building. The plan was now for electric lighting and heating to be installed. In 1967 restoration of the Anglo-Saxon church was begun, in 1969 it reverted to being the parish church again.

Escomb - Church

02 Jun 2024 3 61
This church is one of the oldest Anglo-Saxon churches in England. The church was founded about 670/675, when the area was part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria. Much of the stone was taken from the nearby Roman fort at Vinovia (now Binchester). Later the eaves were raised. The nave now has a crow-stepped gable at each end. Some simple Gothic windows were inserted in the 13th century and the south porch was built in the 14th century. In the 19th century more windows were inserted and a new door was installed in the porch. But the majority of the windows, small and set high in the walls, are original Anglo-Saxon work. The church is essentially little changed from when it was built. The church seated only 65 people, and in the 19th century Escomb's population outgrew it. In 1863 a new parish church, St John's, was completed. Thereafter the Anglo-Saxon church quickly fell into disrepair. By 1867 it had lost part of its roof. It was restored in 1875–80. By 1904 the roof was again in poor condition. In the 1920s the parish again raised money to restore it. In 1960 the parish agreed to refurbish the building. The plan was now for electric lighting and heating to be installed. In 1967 restoration of the Anglo-Saxon church was begun, in 1969 it reverted to being the parish church again.