Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: de Ferrers

Tutbury - St Mary

22 May 2024 2 70
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866 The weathered tympanum above the side portal

Tutbury - St Mary

22 May 2024 2 58
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866 The western portal - details / The carving style is very reminiscent of archivolts from the Poitou area in France.

Tutbury - St Mary

21 May 2024 3 69
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866 The western portal - details

Tutbury - St Mary

21 May 2024 2 79
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866 The western portal

Tutbury - St Mary

21 May 2024 1 66
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866

Tutbury - St Mary

21 May 2024 2 83
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in (now ruined) Tutbury Castle in 1569. The castle had been the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers once, who with his wife Bertha endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives. St Mary´s church was completed around 1089 uns served the monks and he parish. The West front of the church, the oldest surviving part of the building, is dated from around 1160 - 1170. Most of the nave was rebuilt in the 13th century. At the Reformation the eastern part of the church, which served the monastic community, was demolished along with the priory buildings. The South tower appears to be a 16th-century addition. The north aisle is an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. The chancel was replaced in 1866

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 1 70
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century.

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 1 61
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century. There must have been a long frieze in the preexisting church. Some parts are here now.

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 2 51
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century. There must have been a long frieze in the preexisting church. Some parts are here now.

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 2 49
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century. If they hold palm fronds in their hands, here are two martyrs

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 5 2 77
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century. The sculpture in the center is named the "Virgin of Breedon"

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 2 67
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539. The church contains important relief sculptures, some of which may be among the earliest surviving in England. These carvings come from the original Saxon abbey church. Most of the carvings are dated to the 9th century. This sculpture is named the "Breedon Angel".

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

19 May 2024 2 73
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. Danish raiders who sailed up the river Trent destroyed the monastery at the end of the 9th century. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539.

Breedon on the Hill - Breedon Priory

18 May 2024 5 1 99
An Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded in about 675 on the site of an Iron Age hill fort known as the Bulwarks. Consent was given by King Æthelred of Mercia. The land was given by the princeps Frithuric with the stipulation that Hædda would be made the abbot. Medieval manuscripts record four saints buried in Breedon on the Hill, one of them was Frithuric. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 most of these lands were no longer held by the monastery and the manors surrounding Breedon had been given by William the Conqueror to the de Ferrers family, who later became the Earls of Derby. Breedon priory was founded as an Augustinian house in around 1120. The priory was a cell of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. Gervase, a prior of Breedon, attempted to gain independence for the priory from Nostell, but failed and subsequently resigned in 1244. In 1441 a visiting bishop found the monastery to be dilapidated and in debt. By 1535 there was no resident community at the priory, which was now occupied only by the prior. The priory was surrendered for dissolution in 1539.