Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: St Peter´s Church

Langford - St Matthew's Church

29 Apr 2024 2 87
The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here. St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541. The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons. The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style. The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed. The south gable

Langford - St Matthew's Church

29 Apr 2024 1 96
The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here. St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541. The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons. The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style. The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed. The 8th century crucifix - a triumphal cross

Langford - St Matthew's Church

29 Apr 2024 4 1 101
The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here. St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541. The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons. The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style. The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.

Langford - St Matthew's Church

28 Apr 2024 3 95
The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here. St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541. The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons. The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style. The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.

Southrop - St Peter´s Church

28 Apr 2024 1 93
A church existed on the site in Anglo-Saxon times. St Peter´s Church built on the site of this older structure, dates from the 12th century. The church is built of limestone rubble and has a stone slate roof. The masonry has herringbone work. The plan consists of a nave with a south transept, a porch to the north, and a chancel to the east. The north entrance is Norman-style. The north and south nave walls each have a window dating from the 12th century, and a later two-light window from the 19th century. The nave also has a three-light Perpendicular style window with tracery. The Rev. John Keble was vicar of St Peter's from 1823 to 1825. During his time at Southrop, he found a Norman-style circular baptismal font in the church wall. The font is dated about 1180. As it was obviously moved for safety and "hidden" in the wall, it is in perfect condition. Patientia - Patience over Wrath

Southrop - St Peter´s Church

28 Apr 2024 1 55
A church existed on the site in Anglo-Saxon times. St Peter´s Church built on the site of this older structure, dates from the 12th century. The church is built of limestone rubble and has a stone slate roof. The masonry has herringbone work. The plan consists of a nave with a south transept, a porch to the north, and a chancel to the east. The north entrance is Norman-style. The north and south nave walls each have a window dating from the 12th century, and a later two-light window from the 19th century. The nave also has a three-light Perpendicular style window with tracery. The Rev. John Keble was vicar of St Peter's from 1823 to 1825. During his time at Southrop, he found a Norman-style circular baptismal font in the church wall. The font is dated about 1180. As it was obviously moved for safety and "hidden" in the wall, it is in perfect condition. Synagoga (left)

Southrop - St Peter´s Church

28 Apr 2024 1 89
A church existed on the site in Anglo-Saxon times. St Peter´s Church built on the site of this older structure, dates from the 12th century. The church is built of limestone rubble and has a stone slate roof. The masonry has herringbone work. The plan consists of a nave with a south transept, a porch to the north, and a chancel to the east. The north entrance is Norman-style. The north and south nave walls each have a window dating from the 12th century, and a later two-light window from the 19th century. The nave also has a three-light Perpendicular style window with tracery. The Rev. John Keble was vicar of St Peter's from 1823 to 1825. During his time at Southrop, he found a Norman-style circular baptismal font in the church wall. The font is dated about 1180. As it was obviously moved for safety and "hidden" in the wall, it is in perfect condition. Misericordia - Pity over Envy

Southrop - St Peter´s Church

28 Apr 2024 4 1 81
A church existed on the site in Anglo-Saxon times. St Peter´s Church built on the site of this older structure, dates from the 12th century. The church is built of limestone rubble and has a stone slate roof. The masonry has herringbone work. The plan consists of a nave with a south transept, a porch to the north, and a chancel to the east. The north entrance is Norman-style. The north and south nave walls each have a window dating from the 12th century, and a later two-light window from the 19th century. The nave also has a three-light Perpendicular style window with tracery. The Rev. John Keble was vicar of St Peter's from 1823 to 1825. During his time at Southrop, he found a Norman-style circular baptismal font in the church wall.