Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Iglesia de los Remedios
Guadalajara - Iglesia de los Remedios
09 Nov 2023 |
|
|
Guadalajara was first mentioned as an Iberian foundation, later it was a Roman settlement under the name Arriaca. The city was refounded by the Arabs as Wadi al-Hijara. During the Muslim period an Alcázar was built by the mid-9th century. A bridge over the Henares river and the walls enclosing the city were also built by then.
Guadalajara was part of the territory annexed by Alfonso VI of León-Castile in 1085. The area was repopulated with people from the North. Alfonso VII granted Guadalajara its first chapter in 1133.
From 1441 to 1690 it was owned and controlled by the powerful Castilian noble house of Mendoza.
The church belonged to the former monastery, whose construction was commissioned by the Bishop of Salamanca. Construction began in 1573, according to plans by Acacio de Orejón and Juan de Ballesteros Aguilar.
The monastery was demolished in 1938 in order to build schools in its place and preserve the church. However, the project was postponed due to the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. The schools were finally built in 1963.
The church was acquired by the University of Alcalá de Henares and has been using it as an auditorium since 1992.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Iglesia de los Remedios" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter