Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Jakobikirche

Stralsund - St.-Jakobi-Kirche

03 Nov 2021 2 99
Slavic Ranen lived on the island of Ruegen and the mainland opposite the island. They were independent heathens up to the middle of the 12th century, and so maybe the last non-Christian people in Central Europe. In 1168 Danish King Valdemar I defeated the Ranen and destroyed "Jaromarsburg" their main sanctuary. After the Danish victory, the Slavic princes became feudatories of the Danish crown and accepted the Christian faith. They founded Strale, which prospered because of the rich herring stocks in the waters, many merchants settled here who saw this as their basis for trade. Already in 1234 Slavic Prince Wizlaw I granted the village the town charter (Lübsches Stadtrecht). Stralsund now became an important trading town in the Baltic region, mainly due to settlers from Westphalia. The German settlers clearly outnumbered the Slavic population already around 1300. From 1325 on Stralsund belonged to Pomerania-Wolgast. In the 14th century, it was the most important Hanseatic city in the southern Baltic region after Lübeck. The 15th century was Stralsund's heyday. Long-distance trade was the most important economic factor. Around 1450, 350 merchants were involved in such trade. In 1488, 50 skippers founded the "St. Marienbruderschaft der Schiffer", the forerunner of the still existing "Stralsund Schiffercompagnie". As early as 1525, the majority of Stralsund's citizens converted to the Protestant faith. After the Thirty Years' War Stralsund belonged to the Kingdom of Sweden for almost 200 years. In 1815 Stralsund came to Prussia. - The church is first mentioned in 1303, when the church was apparently still under construction. In 1321 the choir may have been completed, so that the church could be used. In 1327 a priest named Johannes Kranz worked here. But the construction went on and pious citizens donated bricks for the further construction. In 1347 Johannes Hundertmark donated 1000 bricks and Heinrich Sommerstorp even donated 20000 bricks. In a second building phase at the end of the 14th the roofs of the side aisles were extended and chapels were built on the north and south sides of the building. In the second half of the 15th century, work began on the building of the church tower, which was completed around 1488. During the 30 Years War the church was hit by 30 cannonballs. In 1650 and 1662, lightning struck the tower. In 1662, the wooden tower pyramid together with the Gothic spire, the nave roof and the eastern ridge turret were destroyed. The tower then was given a baroque dome in the form that can still be seen today. During the French occupation the Jakobikirche served as a stable and prison. During the bombing raid in 1944 the church got severely damaged The roofing of the south aisle was destroyed, and the roof truss over the west half collapsed. Looting of the church furnishings at the end of the war and in the following years brought further destruction. Thieves of scrap metal stole, among other things, organ pipes from the organ. Rooms for for the archives of the city were built in in the 1970s. A construction company used the church building as a warehouse and garage until 1994. Since then the church has been gradually renovated and by now is used as a cultural centre. Equipped with a stage there are concerts, theater as well as art fairs and other events.

Stralsund - St.-Jakobi-Kirche

03 Nov 2021 1 161
Slavic Ranen lived on the island of Ruegen and the mainland opposite the island. They were independent heathens up to the middle of the 12th century, and so maybe the last non-Christian people in Central Europe. In 1168 Danish King Valdemar I defeated the Ranen and destroyed "Jaromarsburg" their main sanctuary. After the Danish victory, the Slavic princes became feudatories of the Danish crown and accepted the Christian faith. They founded Strale, which prospered because of the rich herring stocks in the waters, many merchants settled here who saw this as their basis for trade. Already in 1234 Slavic Prince Wizlaw I granted the village the town charter (Lübsches Stadtrecht). Stralsund now became an important trading town in the Baltic region, mainly due to settlers from Westphalia. The German settlers clearly outnumbered the Slavic population already around 1300. From 1325 on Stralsund belonged to Pomerania-Wolgast. In the 14th century, it was the most important Hanseatic city in the southern Baltic region after Lübeck. The 15th century was Stralsund's heyday. Long-distance trade was the most important economic factor. Around 1450, 350 merchants were involved in such trade. In 1488, 50 skippers founded the "St. Marienbruderschaft der Schiffer", the forerunner of the still existing "Stralsund Schiffercompagnie". As early as 1525, the majority of Stralsund's citizens converted to the Protestant faith. After the Thirty Years' War Stralsund belonged to the Kingdom of Sweden for almost 200 years. In 1815 Stralsund came to Prussia. - The church is first mentioned in 1303, when the church was apparently still under construction. In 1321 the choir may have been completed, so that the church could be used. In 1327 a priest named Johannes Kranz worked here. But the construction went on and pious citizens donated bricks for the further construction. In 1347 Johannes Hundertmark donated 1000 bricks and Heinrich Sommerstorp even donated 20000 bricks. In a second building phase at the end of the 14th the roofs of the side aisles were extended and chapels were built on the north and south sides of the building. In the second half of the 15th century, work began on the building of the church tower, which was completed around 1488. During the 30 Years War the church was hit by 30 cannonballs. In 1650 and 1662, lightning struck the tower. In 1662, the wooden tower pyramid together with the Gothic spire, the nave roof and the eastern ridge turret were destroyed. The tower then was given a baroque dome in the form that can still be seen today. During the French occupation the Jakobikirche served as a stable and prison. During the bombing raid in 1944 the church got severely damaged The roofing of the south aisle was destroyed, and the roof truss over the west half collapsed. Looting of the church furnishings at the end of the war and in the following years brought further destruction. Thieves of scrap metal stole, among other things, organ pipes from the organ. Rooms for for the archives of the city were built in in the 1970s. A construction company used the church building as a warehouse and garage until 1994. Since then the church has been gradually renovated and by now is used as a cultural centre. Equipped with a stage there are concerts, theater as well as art fairs and other events.

Lübeck - St. Jakobi

23 Jun 2021 2 119
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128. 15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries. In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence. Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea. - The present three aisle church was erected around 1300 and replaced a Romanesque hall church on the same site after the great city fire of 1276, which was already mentioned around 1227. The Jakobikirche was consecrated in 1334 as a church of sailors and fishermen. St. Jakobi was one of the few Lübeck churches to remain undamaged during the bombing raid on Palm Sunday night in 1942. The center of the Baroque altar, created (and signed) by Hieronymus Hassenberg in 1717. The entombment of Christ an icon that was very popular in France (mise au tombeau).

Lübeck - St. Jakobi

23 Jun 2021 109
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128. 15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries. In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence. Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea. - The present three aisle church was erected around 1300 and replaced a Romanesque hall church on the same site after the great city fire of 1276, which was already mentioned around 1227. The Jakobikirche was consecrated in 1334 as a church of sailors and fishermen. St. Jakobi was one of the few Lübeck churches to remain undamaged during the bombing raid on Palm Sunday night in 1942. In the tower chapel of St. Jacobi there is a memorial to the sinking of the "Pamir", a four-masted barque. On 21 September 1957, she was caught in Hurricane Carrie and sank off the Azores. 80 of the Pamir's 86 crew members lost their lives.

Lübeck - St. Jakobi

22 Jun 2021 108
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128. 15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries. In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence. Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea. - The present three aisle church was erected around 1300 and replaced a Romanesque hall church on the same site after the great city fire of 1276, which was already mentioned around 1227. The Jakobikirche was consecrated in 1334 as a church of sailors and fishermen. St. Jakobi was one of the few Lübeck churches to remain undamaged during the bombing raid on Palm Sunday night in 1942. The bronze baptismal font is signed and dated. It was cast by Klaus Grude at Pentecost 1466. The font was a donation of the Lübeck councilman Johann Broling. The font stands on the same feet in the shape of kneeling angels as the baptismal font by Lorenz Grove from 1455 in Lübeck Cathedral. From this it is concluded that Grove's forms must have been passed on to Klaus Grude. Lübeck,

Lübeck - St. Jakobi

22 Jun 2021 1 122
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128. 15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries. In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence. Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea. - The present three aisle church was erected around 1300 and replaced a Romanesque hall church on the same site after the great city fire of 1276, which was already mentioned around 1227. The Jakobikirche was consecrated in 1334 as a church of sailors and fishermen. St. Jakobi was one of the few Lübeck churches to remain undamaged during the bombing raid on Palm Sunday night in 1942.

Lübeck - St. Jakobi

22 Jun 2021 1 2 105
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128. 15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries. In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence. Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea. - The present building was erected around 1300 and replaced a Romanesque hall church on the same site after the great city fire of 1276, which was already mentioned around 1227. The Jakobikirche was consecrated in 1334 as a church of sailors and fishermen. St. Jakobi was one of the few Lübeck churches to remain undamaged during the bombing raid on Palm Sunday night in 1942.