Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Dommuseum
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The former rood screen of the Cathedral is an extraordinary work of art of the 16th century. It was erected as a donation of the canon Arnold Freitag around 1546, at a time when the Reformation had already taken hold in Hildesheim.
It was commissioned to the then leading Münster workshop of the brothers Johann and Franz Brabender, who specialized in complex stonework and were able to use the Baumberg sandstone quarried not far from Münster for this purpose. It is the only almost completely preserved rood screen from the Brabender workshop.
A detail - The "Entombment of Christ" / "Mise au Tombeau"
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The former rood screen of the Cathedral is an extraordinary work of art of the 16th century. It was erected as a donation of the canon Arnold Freitag around 1546, at a time when the Reformation had already taken hold in Hildesheim.
It was commissioned to the then leading Münster workshop of the brothers Johann and Franz Brabender, who specialized in complex stonework and were able to use the Baumberg sandstone quarried not far from Münster for this purpose. It is the only almost completely preserved rood screen from the Brabender workshop.
A detail - Jonah is thrown from the ship and swallowed by the whale.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The former rood screen of the Cathedral is an extraordinary work of art of the 16th century. It was erected as a donation of the canon Arnold Freitag around 1546, at a time when the Reformation had already taken hold in Hildesheim.
It was commissioned to the then leading Münster workshop of the brothers Johann and Franz Brabender, who specialized in complex stonework and were able to use the Baumberg sandstone quarried not far from Münster for this purpose. It is the only almost completely preserved rood screen from the Brabender workshop.
A detail - The Adoration of the Magi
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The former rood screen of the Cathedral is an extraordinary work of art of the 16th century. It was erected as a donation of the canon Arnold Freitag around 1546, at a time when the Reformation had already taken hold in Hildesheim.
It was commissioned to the then leading Münster workshop of the brothers Johann and Franz Brabender, who specialized in complex stonework and were able to use the Baumberg sandstone quarried not far from Münster for this purpose. It is the only almost completely preserved rood screen from the Brabender workshop.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
Head reliquary of St.Oswald, ca 1185
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
08 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
Deposition from the Cross, 12th century, Northern Italy
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The so-called "Hezilokreuz" (Hezilo Cross), was created before 1079.
In the center is a small raised plate on which sit eight stones in filigree settings; the middle one, probably a large crystal above the cross particle, is missing, and has been replaced by a graceful Gothic door with a bishop's image
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
The so-called "Heinrichskreuz" (aka "Kreuz Heinrich des Löwen" / "Henry the Lion Cross").
It is a gift of Henry the Lion from 1172. It was probably originally intended as a processional cross: It is 49 cm high and made of wood covered with gold plates.
The cross contains a part of the "True Cross", which Henry the Lion brought back from the Crusade in Palestine.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
The so-called "Kostbare Evangeliar" (Precious Gospel Book) was created around 1015. It was a donation by Bishop Bernward to the monastery of St. Michael, which he had founded.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
Madonna with child. The statue, created in the late 15th century, once stood in the parish church in Dorstadt, near Wolfenbüttel.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
The disc cross (ca. 1140) served to decorate the altar,
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
The "Ringelheimer Kruzifix" (Ringelheim Crucifix} a life-size crucifix from Ringelheim Monastery, was a foundation of Bishop Bernward from the time around 1000. The crucifix is one of the oldest fully sculptural works of the Middle Ages.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
07 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
A processional cross from around 1190.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
06 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius, and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The "Große Goldene Madonna" (Great Golden Madonna)n created 1010/1015, probably a donation of Bishop Bernward is one of the oldest fully sculptural representations of Mary.
The modern heads are the work of Walter Moroder
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
06 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius, and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The "Godehard Schrein", one of the oldest remaining relic shrines of the Middle Ages was created around 1140.
The shrine is designed like a beautiful palace. Its oak core is covered in gilded silver plates and decorated with figures and jewels. The interior contains the remains of St. Godehard, who was the Bishop of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038. The shrine is in the Cathedral crypt over his grave. On the long sides, there are twelve figures of the apostles. On the front side, St. Godehard, flanked by two bishops.
A detail
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
06 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius, and part of the cathedral cloisters.
The "Godehard Schrein", one of the oldest remaining relic shrines of the Middle Ages was created around 1140.
The shrine is designed like a beautiful palace. Its oak core is covered in gilded silver plates and decorated with figures and jewels. The interior contains the remains of St. Godehard, who was the Bishop of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038. The shrine is in the Cathedral crypt over his grave. On the long sides, there are twelve figures of the apostles. On the front side, St. Godehard, flanked by two bishops.
Hildesheim - Dommuseum
06 Aug 2022 |
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.
-
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters .
The "Godehard Schrein", one of the oldest remaining relic shrines of the Middle Ages was created around 1140.
The shrine is designed like a beautiful palace. Its oak core is covered in gilded silver plates and decorated with figures and jewels. The interior contains the remains of the St. Godehard, who was the Bishop of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038. The shrine is in the Cathedral crypt over his grave.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Dommuseum" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter