Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: lectern

Boynton - St Andrew's Church

12 Mar 2025 10
St Andrew's Church Church, standing beside Boynton Hall manor, is a Georgian style building with a 15th century tower. This lectern was carved by Harry Scott, son of the Boynton Estate carpenter. Instead of the traditional eagle, here is a turkey holding the bible. This remembers to William Strickland, the builder of the Boynton Hall manor. Legend has it that Strickland was the man who first introduced the turkey to England in 1526, after acquiring the birds on his travels to the New World. He sailed the world as a lieutenant to the famed Venetian explorer Sebastian Cabot, successfully seeking his fortune lands of the Americas.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

08 Jan 2021 97
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. During the Reformation the Dukes of Wuerttemberg dissolved the monasteries such as Hirsau and Alpirsbach Many works of art, owned by the monasteries, consequently went to Protestant churches. This lectern may have come from Alpirsbach but now has its home in Freudenstadt. As the church in Freudenstadt was under renovation the lectern was brought to Alpirsbach and was on exhibit here for about six months. I was just lucky to see it here. The lectern is known as a precious masterpiece of Romanesque art. It was carved around 1150 out of willow and linden and painted in different colours. The Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John bear the cabinet, which is decorated with the Evangelists´symbols. Inside the cabinet is a place for a vessel for incense. The incense would flow out of the four symbols´ mouths. The valuable lectern is placed in a climate-controlled display.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

08 Jan 2021 94
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. During the Reformation the Dukes of Wuerttemberg dissolved the monasteries such as Hirsau and Alpirsbach Many works of art, owned by the monasteries, consequently went to Protestant churches. This lectern may have come from Alpirsbach but now has its home in Freudenstadt. As the church in Freudenstadt was under renovation the lectern was brought to Alpirsbach and was on exhibit here for about six months. I was just lucky to see it here. The lectern is known as a precious masterpiece of Romanesque art. It was carved around 1150 out of willow and linden and painted in different colours. The Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John bear the cabinet, which is decorated with the Evangelists´symbols. Inside the cabinet is a place for a vessel for incense. The incense would flow out of the four symbols´ mouths. The valuable lectern is placed in a climate-controlled display.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

08 Jan 2021 97
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. During the Reformation the Dukes of Wuerttemberg dissolved the monasteries such as Hirsau and Alpirsbach Many works of art, owned by the monasteries, consequently went to Protestant churches. This lectern may have come from Alpirsbach but now has its home in Freudenstadt. As the church in Freudenstadt was under renovation the lectern was brought to Alpirsbach and was on exhibit here for about six months. I was just lucky to see it here. The lectern is known as a precious masterpiece of Romanesque art. It was carved around 1150 out of willow and linden and painted in different colours. The Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John bear the cabinet, which is decorated with the Evangelists´symbols. Inside the cabinet is a place for a vessel for incense. The incense would flow out of the four symbols´ mouths. The valuable lectern is placed in a climate-controlled display.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

08 Jan 2021 107
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. During the Reformation the Dukes of Wuerttemberg dissolved the monasteries such as Hirsau and Alpirsbach Many works of art, owned by the monasteries, consequently went to Protestant churches. This lectern may have come from Alpirsbach but now has its home in Freudenstadt. As the church in Freudenstadt was under renovation the lectern was brought to Alpirsbach and was on exhibit here for about six months. I was just lucky to see it here. The lectern is known as a precious masterpiece of Romanesque art. It was carved around 1150 out of willow and linden and painted in different colours. The Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John bear the cabinet, which is decorated with the Evangelists´symbols. Inside the cabinet is a place for a vessel for incense. The incense would flow out of the four symbols´ mouths. The valuable lectern is placed in a climate-controlled display.

Loro Ciuffenna - Pieve di San Pietro a Gropina

22 Sep 2016 1 202
The Pieve di San Pietro a Gropina is located on a hill in the hamlet Gropina, that meanwhile belongs to Loro Ciuffenna. A chapel existed here already in the 4th century. Soon after Charlemagne had donated the area to the Nonantola Abbey, Benedictian monks erected a church here end of the 8th century. The church of today was probably built within the 12th century. At that time this was one of the wealthiest parish church with the diocese, having about 30 depending churches. The nave is flanked by pillars, that all have sculpted capitals. The capitals of left and right side differ in style. Within some decades two workshops have worked here. Maybe even more. The remarkable pulpit is based on a knotted pillar, is a striking piece of art. Some scholars attribute it to a "Master of Campione" (or a workshop). The lectern of this pulpit: a lion, a man holding a book and an eagle.