Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
Koprzywnica - Kościół Matki Bożej Różańcowej
15 Apr 2022 |
|
|
|
Koprzywnica today is a small town that developed from a settlement in the 12th century. In 1185 Casimir II the Just brought the Cistercians here, who founded a monastery (26. filiation of Morimond).
Koprzywnica received town rights in 1268. Thanks to the Cistercians, the town flourished over the next centuries. In 1606 Koprzywnica was one of the centers of the armed uprising of the nobility against Zygmunt III Waza. In the 1660s Koprzywnica was destroyed during the Swedish invasion of Poland. The town never recovered from the losses.
In 1942 the Koprzywnica ghetto was liquidated by the German occupiers when 1,800 Jews were transported from here to the Treblinka extermination camp, where they were murdered.
-
According to tradition, the first church in Koprzywnica was consecrated as early as 1130. The parish was first mentioned in 1277. In 1470 there was a Gothic brick church. This church was deteriorating in the 19th century and was demolished. Only the chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary remained, which had been built in 1693-1694 and expanded in 1872-1874 to become the parish church. During WWI the church was severely damaged and could be rebuilt. At the beginning of the 21st century, the church received its present form.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Church of Our Lady of the Rosary" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter