Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Yaroslav I the Wise
Tartu
21 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Tartu seen from the tower of Jaani Kirik.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
21 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
The most outstanding feature of the church is its wealth of terracotta figures. According to today's estimates, there were about 2,000 different sculptural elements in Jaani kirik in the Middle Ages, of which only about a third have survived to this day. They are located both inside the church and on the exterior walls. The figures are unique in Europe in their number, size, and artistic design. The oldest are over 700 years old. The original figures are now kept in the neighbouring museum, which has made copies for the church.
Originally, the sculptures were painted - but both the polychromy and the texts carved in clay have been almost completely destroyed.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
21 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
The most outstanding feature of the church is its wealth of terracotta figures. According to today's estimates, there were about 2,000 different sculptural elements in Jaani kirik in the Middle Ages, of which only about a third have survived to this day. They are located both inside the church and on the exterior walls. The figures are unique in Europe in their number, size, and artistic design. The oldest are over 700 years old. The original figures are now kept in the neighbouring museum, which has made copies for the church.
Originally, the sculptures were painted - but both the polychromy and the texts carved in clay have been almost completely destroyed.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
20 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
The most outstanding feature of the church is its wealth of terracotta figures. According to today's estimates, there were about 2,000 different sculptural elements in Jaani kirik in the Middle Ages, of which only about a third have survived to this day. They are located both inside the church and on the exterior walls. The figures are unique in Europe in their number, size, and artistic design. The oldest are over 700 years old. The original figures are now kept in the neighbouring museum, which has made copies for the church.
Originally, the sculptures were painted - but both the polychromy and the texts carved in clay have been almost completely destroyed.
19 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu - Jaani kirik
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
The most outstanding feature of the church is its wealth of terracotta figures. According to today's estimates, there were about 2,000 different sculptural elements in Jaani kirik in the Middle Ages, of which only about a third have survived to this day. They are located both inside the church and on the exterior walls. The figures are unique in Europe in their number, size, and artistic design. The oldest are over 700 years old. The original figures are now kept in the neighbouring museum, which has made copies for the church.
Originally, the sculptures were painted - but both the polychromy and the texts carved in clay have been almost completely destroyed.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
18 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu - Jaani kirik
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
The most outstanding feature of the church is its wealth of terracotta figures. According to today's estimates, there were about 2,000 different sculptural elements in Jaani kirik in the Middle Ages, of which only about a third have survived to this day. They are located both inside the church and on the exterior walls. The figures are unique in Europe in their number, size, and artistic design. The oldest are over 700 years old. The original figures are now kept in the neighbouring museum, which has made copies for the church.
Originally, the sculptures were painted - but both the polychromy and the texts carved in clay have been almost completely destroyed.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
18 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
Tartu - Jaani kirik
17 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
Shortly after the conquest and Christianisation of the Brothers of the Sword, a presumably wooden church was built on the site of today's St. John's Church. The oldest parts of the present church building date from the 14th century.
Century. The church survived the iconoclasm of 1524/26 largely unscathed. During the Livonian War (1558-1583) the church was badly damaged but later rebuilt. The Great Northern War also left traces of destruction. In 1704, Russian troops occupied the Swedish city of Tartu. In 1708, the troops systematically destroyed the city. The upper part of the tower was destroyed, as well as the nave and the presbytery. Reconstruction of the destroyed church began in 1737 and it was rebuilt as a three-nave basilica. In 1944, during the Second World War, the church was set on fire and largely destroyed by bombing. In 1952, the north wall of the nave collapsed.
Reconstruction work did not begin until 1989.
Tartu - Jumalaema Uinumise katedraalkirik
17 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region, and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterward the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial center of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the center. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural center for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
The "Dormition Cathedral" is a cathedral of the Estonian Apostolic Orthodox Church.
Already in the 13th century, a Dominican convent was located on the site of the present church. In 1752 the cornerstone of a new church was laid by orders of Peter the Great. It was finished and consecrated in 1754. However, by 1762 the church became unsafe and in 1771 a church was built close by until renovations were made. In 1775 both churches were destroyed by fire.
A new church was built in 1776 - 1782. It was consecrated in 1783. The church building was built in a cruciform plan however in 1840 the church was given an octagonal base and a large domed roof. The church became a cathedral in 2009 and serves as the seat of the Orthodox Bishop of Tartu.
The small shop in the foreground is named "NUKUMAJA", referring to Henrik Ibsen's play "A Doll's House" (Nukumaja in the Estonian language), This was a shop specialized in dolls. It is closed and looks given up.
Tartu - Raekoda
16 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
The raekoda (town hall) is the third consecutive town hall built on the same site in the Hanseatic city's more than eight hundred-year history. Its predecessor, built in 1693, collapsed in 1726 after being badly damaged in the Northern War. The devastating fire in the old town in 1775 created both the need and the opportunity to erect a new building.
The architect Johann Heinrich Bartholomäus Walther designed the new representative council building. The building was officially inaugurated in 1786 and finally completed in 1789. From the outset, the building was designed to house a number of tenants in addition to the city government; a prison and storage for weighs and measures were included already in the original drawings. To this day a pharmacy is located in parts of the premises
The fountain in the foreground shows two students kissing.
Tartu - Toomemäe
16 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
Most of Toomemäe (Toom Hill) where the ruins of the cathedral are located and where the bishop's castle used to be, is now covered by a park laid out in the 19th century.
The observatory was built in 1808-1810. It lies on the site of the former bishop´s castle. The tower of the building was originally topped by a dome. In 1825 the tower was rebuilt to house Fraunhofer-refractor, which at that time was the biggest in the world.
Tartu - Toomemäe
16 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
Most of Toomemäe Toom Hill) where the ruins of the cathedral are located and where the bishop's castle used to be, is now covered by a park laid out in the 19th century. The old Rotund Cafe fits beautifully into this green scenery.
Tartu - Toomkirik
16 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
The construction of the cathedral, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was begun in the second half of the 13th century. It was the seat of the Bishopric of Dorpat.
The choir and nave were already in use by 1299. About 1470 the high quire with its pillars and arches was completed in Brick Gothic style. The cathedral was completed at the end of the 15th century with the building of the two massive fortress-like towers, originally 66 meters high. A wall separated the cathedral grounds and the bishop's fortified residence from the lower town.
After the Reformation had reached Tartu in the 1520s the cathedral was badly damaged by Protestant iconoclasts, after which it fell increasingly into decay. After the deportation to Russia of the last Bishop of Dorpat, the cathedral church was abandoned.
In 1629 new (now Swedish) rulers showed little interest in the derelict building, which fell further into ruin and neglect. The main part of the church served as a barn. In the 1760s the two towers were reduced from 66 meters to 22 meters, the level of the nave roof, and made into a platform for a cannon. The main portal was walled up at this time.
With the re-founding of the (German-speaking) university by Tsar Alexander I in 1802, an architect was commissioned to build among the cathedral ruins the university library. So within the ruined choir, a three-story building was erected between 1804 and 1807.
When the library was replaced in 1981 by a new university library building, the old library became the home of the historical museum of the University of Tartu.
Tartu - Toomkirik
16 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
The construction of the cathedral, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was begun in the second half of the 13th century. It was the seat of the Bishopric of Dorpat.
The choir and nave were already in use by 1299. About 1470 the high quire with its pillars and arches was completed in Brick Gothic style. The cathedral was completed at the end of the 15th century with the building of the two massive fortress-like towers, originally 66 meters high. A wall separated the cathedral grounds and the bishop's fortified residence from the lower town.
After the Reformation had reached Tartu in the 1520s the cathedral was badly damaged by Protestant iconoclasts, after which it fell increasingly into decay. After the deportation to Russia of the last Bishop of Dorpat, the cathedral church was abandoned.
In 1629 new (now Swedish) rulers showed little interest in the derelict building, which fell further into ruin and neglect. The main part of the church served as a barn. In the 1760s the two towers were reduced from 66 meters to 22 meters, the level of the nave roof, and made into a platform for a cannon. The main portal was walled up at this time.
Tartu - Toomkirik
15 Feb 2022 |
|
|
|
Tartu - Toomkirik
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region, and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterward the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades at the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russian army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of the bishop's castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens were deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural center for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
The construction of the cathedral, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was begun in the second half of the 13th century. It was the seat of the Bishopric of Dorpat.
The choir and nave were already in use by 1299. About 1470 the high quire with its pillars and arches was completed in Brick Gothic style. The cathedral was completed at the end of the 15th century with the building of the two massive fortress-like towers, originally 66 meters high. A wall separated the cathedral grounds and the bishop's fortified residence from the lower town.
After the Reformation had reached Tartu in the 1520s the cathedral was badly damaged by Protestant iconoclasts, after which it fell increasingly into decay. After the deportation to Russia of the last Bishop of Dorpat, the cathedral church was abandoned.
In 1629 new (now Swedish) rulers showed little interest in the derelict building, which fell further into ruin and neglect. The main part of the church served as a barn. In the 1760s the two towers were reduced from 66 meters to 22 meters, the level of the nave roof, and made into a platform for a cannon. The main portal was walled up at this time.
Tartu
15 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
Tartu - Art Nouveau
14 Feb 2022 |
|
|
Tartu (German Dorpat) is the second-largest city in Estonia, after Tallinn.
In the early 11th century Yaroslav I the Wise, Prince of Kiev, invaded the region and after a victorious battle with the locals built his own fort there, Tartu probably remained under Kievan control until 1061, when the fort was burned down by an Estonian tribe. Soon afterwards the fort was rebuilt.
During the Northern Crusades in the beginning of the 13th century, the fort was captured by the crusading Brothers of the Sword — and recaptured by Estonians. In 1224 the fort was besieged and conquered for one last time by the Teutonic crusaders. Subsequently, Dorpat became a commercial centre of considerable importance during the later Middle Ages and the capital of the semi-independent Bishopric of Dorpat.
German merchants and artisans settled alongside the bishop's fortress. In the 1280s Dorpat joined the Hanseatic League.
In 1558, tsar Ivan the Terrible invaded Tartu beginning the Livonian War. His forces encircled the town. After a heavy bombardment, the town surrendered. In 1582, the city became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1598. A Jesuit grammar school "Gymnasium Dorpatense" was established in 1583.
In the effect of the Polish-Swedish War, in 1625 Tartu was captured by Sweden. The city became part of the Dominions of Sweden, which led to the foundation of the University of Tartu in 1632 by king Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. So the University of Tartu is Estonia´s oldest and still most renowned university
In 1704 the town was taken by the Russians army. In 1708 the fortifications and houses, including the remains of bishops castle, were blown up, all movable property was looted and the citizens deported to Russia. In 1721, the city became part of the Russian Empire and was known as Derpt. A great fire in 1775 destroyed most of the buildings in the centre. The city was rebuilt along Late Baroque and Neoclassical lines.
During the second half of the 19th century, Tartu was the cultural centre for Estonians in the era of Romantic nationalism. The city hosted Estonia's first song festival in 1869.
Tartu flourished in the 19th century, so many (wooden) houses were built in Art Nouveau style. Some have survived.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Yaroslav I the Wise" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter