Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: wendish
Pasewalk - Nikolaikirche
10 Nov 2021 |
|
|
A castle named "Posduwlc" was mentioned already in the 11th century.
The first mention of Pasewalk as a town dates back to 1276.
Pasewalk was always a pawn in the territorial interests of the Pomeranian dukes and the Brandenburg margraves, so that the rule changed several times. In 1250 Pasewalk came under Brandenburg rule and was reacquired by the Pomeranians in 1354.
The medieval town consisted of the lower town founded by the Wends with Nikolaikirche and a newer upper town founded by German settlers with Marienkirche. The town was granted extensive trading rights in 1192.
In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants lived primarily from agriculture and brewing. Pasewalk was a member of the Hanseatic League and converted to Lutheran doctrine in 1535.
During the Thirty Years' War, Pasewalk, which was under the protection of the Swedish army soon, was burned and almost completely destroyed in 1630 by imperial troops. The small Swedish garrison was cut down to the last man by the attackers. Only a few inhabitants survived the massacre. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the town was assigned to Swedish Pomerania.
The Nikolaikirche was first mentioned in 1177 and is thus older than the Marienkirche.
It was built as a rectangular, cruciform church of evenly hewn fieldstones. Over the centuries, an annex was added to the north and south sides of the church. After several destructions, it was rebuilt as a Gothic brick building. In the process, it also received the cross wings on the north and south sides that still exist today. In 1615, the church tower was added and the building was expanded into a three-nave church. During the Second World War, the church was severely damaged.
It was unfortunately locked.
Pasewalk - Nikolaikirche
10 Nov 2021 |
|
|
|
A castle named "Posduwlc" was mentioned already in the 11th century.
The first mention of Pasewalk as a town dates back to 1276.
Pasewalk was always a pawn in the territorial interests of the Pomeranian Dukes and the Brandenburg margraves so that the rule changed several times. In 1250 Pasewalk came under Brandenburg rule and was reacquired by the Pomeranians in 1354.
The medieval town consisted of the lower town founded by the Wends with Nikolaikirche and a newer upper town founded by German settlers with Marienkirche. The town was granted extensive trading rights in 1192.
In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants lived primarily from agriculture and brewing. Pasewalk was a member of the Hanseatic League and converted to Lutheran doctrine in 1535.
During the Thirty Years' War, Pasewalk, which was under the protection of the Swedish army soon, was burned and almost completely destroyed in 1630 by imperial troops. The small Swedish garrison was cut down to the last man by the attackers. Only a few inhabitants survived the massacre. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the town was assigned to Swedish Pomerania.
The Nikolaikirche was first mentioned in 1177 and is thus older than the just seen Marienkirche.
It was built as a rectangular, cruciform church of evenly hewn fieldstones. Over the centuries, an annex was added to the north and south sides of the church. After several destructions, it was rebuilt as a Gothic brick building. In the process, it also received the cross-wings on the north and south sides that still exist today. In 1615, the church tower was added and the building was expanded into a three-nave church. During the Second World War, the church was severely damaged.
It was unfortunately locked.
Pasewalk - St.-Marien-Kirche
10 Nov 2021 |
|
|
|
A castle named "Posduwlc" was mentioned already in the 11th century.
The first mention of Pasewalk as a town dates back to 1276.
Pasewalk was always a pawn in the territorial interests of the Pomeranian dukes and the Brandenburg margraves, so that the rule changed several times. In 1250 Pasewalk came under Brandenburg rule and was reacquired by the Pomeranians in 1354.
The medieval town consisted of the lower town founded by the Wends with Nikolaikirche and a newer upper town founded by German settlers with Marienkirche. The town was granted extensive trading rights in 1192.
In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants lived primarily from agriculture and
brewing. Pasewalk was a member of the Hanseatic League and converted to Lutheran doctrine in 1535.
During the Thirty Years' War, Pasewalk, which was under the protection of the Swedish army soon, was burned and almost completely destroyed in 1630 by imperial troops. The small Swedish garrison was cut down to the last man by the attackers. Only few inhabitants survived the massacre. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the town was assigned to Swedish Pomerania.
The hall church was built between 1325 and 1350 in the style of North German brick Gothic. The oldest parts were the foundation walls of the tower and parts of the west wall from the time after 1250. From 1325 to 1350 the nave was built. At that time the tower was raised by a third floor and decorated with rich ornamentation. At the beginning of the 15th century, a polygonal chapel was added to the north of the building. During the Thirty Years' War the imperial troops burned down the tower. It collapsed into the nave and destroyed the vaults of the nave as well as the roof.
Prussian Frederick William I allowed the reconstruction in 1734. The altar, an organ and confessionals from Marienkirche in Stettin (today Szczecin), which had been destroyed by lightning, were placed in Pasewalk in 1795. In the 19th century the tower was raised by another floor with a gallery.
Unlike Pasewalk, the church survived WWII almost undamaged. Only some windows and the roof were damaged. The roof was covered with a makeshift roof in 1947. In 1958, the tower was secured. The steeple and the clock were repaired in 1983. However, the first damage to the tower became apparent in December 1983, when the narrow masonry pillars of the second floor at the back of the tower collapsed. On December 3, 1984, the northwest corner of the tower collapsed; a day later, another section collapsed. For safety reasons, it was decided to blow up the entire tower on December 8. While plans were still being made to rebuild the steeple from 1985, a hurricane in 1986 caused further damage to the roof of the still unsecured church. In 1987 and 1988, reconstruction of the tower began.
The nave
Pasewalk - St.-Marien-Kirche
10 Nov 2021 |
|
|
A castle named "Posduwlc" was mentioned already in the 11th century.
The first mention of Pasewalk as a town dates back to 1276.
Pasewalk was always a pawn in the territorial interests of the Pomeranian Dukes and the Brandenburg margraves, so that the rule changed several times. In 1250 Pasewalk came under Brandenburg rule and was reacquired by the Pomeranians in 1354.
The medieval town consisted of the lower town founded by the Wends with Nikolaikirche and a newer upper town founded by German settlers with Marienkirche. The town was granted extensive trading rights in 1192.
In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants lived primarily from agriculture and brewing. It was a member of the Hanseatic League and converted to Lutheran doctrine in 1535.
During the Thirty Years' War, Pasewalk, which was under the protection of the Swedish army soon, was burned and almost completely destroyed in 1630 by imperial troops. The small Swedish garrison was cut down to the last man by the attackers. Only few inhabitants survived the massacre. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the town was assigned to Swedish Pomerania.
The hall church was built between 1325 and 1350 in the style of North German brick Gothic. The oldest parts were the foundation walls of the tower and parts of the west wall from the time after 1250. From 1325 to 1350 the nave was built. At that time the tower was raised by a third floor and decorated with rich ornamentation. At the beginning of the 15th century, a polygonal chapel was added to the north of the building. During the Thirty Years' War the imperial troops burned down the tower. It collapsed into the nave and destroyed the vaults of the nave as well as the roof.
Prussian Frederick William I allowed the reconstruction in 1734. The altar, an organ and confessionals from Marienkirche in Stettin (today Szczecin), which had been destroyed by lightning, were placed in Pasewalk in 1795. In the 19th century the tower was raised by another floor with a gallery.
Unlike Pasewalk, the church survived WWII almost undamaged. Only some windows and the roof were damaged. The roof was covered with a makeshift roof in 1947. In 1958, the tower was secured. The steeple and the clock were repaired in 1983. However, the first damage to the tower became apparent in December 1983, when the narrow masonry pillars of the second floor at the back of the tower collapsed. On December 3, 1984, the northwest corner of the tower collapsed; a day later, another section collapsed. For safety reasons, it was decided to blow up the entire tower on December 8. While plans were still being made to rebuild the steeple from 1985, a hurricane in 1986 caused further damage to the roof of the still unsecured church. In 1987 and 1988, reconstruction of the tower began.
The western portal
Pasewalk - St.-Marien-Kirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
A castle named "Posduwlc" was mentioned already in the 11th century.
The first mention of Pasewalk as a town dates back to 1276.
Pasewalk was always a pawn in the territorial interests of the Pomeranian Dukes and the Brandenburg margraves so that the rule changed several times. In 1250 Pasewalk came under Brandenburg rule and was reacquired by the Pomeranians in 1354.
The medieval town consisted of the lower town founded by the Wends with Nikolaikirche and a newer upper town founded by German settlers with Marienkirche. The town was granted extensive trading rights in 1192.
In the Middle Ages, the inhabitants lived primarily from agriculture and brewing. It was a member of the Hanseatic League and converted to Lutheran doctrine in 1535.
During the Thirty Years' War, Pasewalk, which was under the protection of the Swedish army soon, was burned and almost completely destroyed in 1630 by imperial troops. The small Swedish garrison was cut down to the last man by the attackers. Only a few inhabitants survived the massacre. With the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, the town was assigned to Swedish Pomerania.
The hall church was built between 1325 and 1350 in the style of North German brick Gothic. The oldest parts were the foundation walls of the tower and parts of the west wall from the time after 1250. From 1325 to 1350 the nave was built. At that time the tower was raised by a third floor and decorated with rich ornamentation. At the beginning of the 15th century, a polygonal chapel was added to the north of the building. During the Thirty Years' War, the imperial troops burned down the tower. It collapsed into the nave and destroyed the vaults of the nave as well as the roof.
Prussian Frederick William I allowed the reconstruction in 1734. The altar, an organ and confessionals from Marienkirche in Stettin (today Szczecin), which had been destroyed by lightning, were placed in Pasewalk in 1795. In the 19th century, the tower was raised by another floor with a gallery.
Unlike Pasewalk, the church survived WWII almost undamaged. Only some windows and the roof were damaged. The roof was covered with a makeshift roof in 1947. In 1958, the tower was secured. The steeple and the clock were repaired in 1983. However, the first damage to the tower became apparent in December 1983, when the narrow masonry pillars of the second floor at the back of the tower collapsed. On December 3, 1984, the northwest corner of the tower collapsed; a day later, another section collapsed. For safety reasons, it was decided to blow up the entire tower on December 8. While plans were still being made to rebuild the steeple from 1985, a hurricane in 1986 caused further damage to the still unsecured church. In 1987 and 1988, reconstruction of the tower began.
After the fall of communism, a citizens' initiative was founded in April 1990, from which a support association for the reconstruction of the church emerged. On its initiative, the tower core received a brick wall and the new 26-meter-high spire. The spire no longer corresponds to its former shape.
Anklam - Nikolaikirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The building, begun around 1280, was completed by the end of the 14th century. It is named after Nicholas of Myra, the patron saint of sailors and merchants. The Nikolaikirches a purely Gothic building. Until its destruction, the church was considered a landmark of Anklam and was a pilot sign visible from afar, as the tower reached a height of 103 metres.
The interior was decorated with valuable furnishings. Despite being removed from storage during WWII, some parts are still missing today. Others, such as the magnificent candlesticks, the apostle bell and parts of the choir stalls, are now in the Marienkirche.
The destruction of the church did not occur until 29 April 1945, when German shells hit the town, which was already occupied by the Red Army. In the process, the spire collapsed into the nave. The church was partially burnt out, only the tower stump and the surrounding walls with free pillars and segmental arches remained standing.
After the war, the ruins were provisionally secured.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the situation of the building became increasingly critical, there was a danger of collapse. Anklam citizens joined together to form an association for the promotion of the church. From 1995 to 1996, the nave was provided with an emergency roof and secured.
A church dedicated to St. Nicholas near the Baltic Sea seems incomplete without a votive ship. Here it hangs under the temporary roof.
Anklam - Nikolaikirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The building, begun around 1280, was completed by the end of the 14th century. It is named after Nicholas of Myra, the patron saint of sailors and merchants. The Nikolaikirches a purely Gothic building. Until its destruction, the church was considered a landmark of Anklam and was a pilot sign visible from afar, as the tower reached a height of 103 metres.
The interior was decorated with valuable furnishings. Despite being removed from storage during WWII, some parts are still missing today. Others, such as the magnificent candlesticks, the apostle bell and parts of the choir stalls, are now in the Marienkirche.
The destruction of the church did not occur until 29 April 1945, when German shells hit the town, which was already occupied by the Red Army. In the process, the spire collapsed into the nave. The church was partially burnt out, only the tower stump and the surrounding walls with free pillars and segmental arches remained standing.
After the war, the ruins were provisionally secured.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the situation of the building became increasingly critical, there was a danger of collapse. Anklam citizens joined together to form an association for the promotion of the church. From 1995 to 1996, the nave was provided with an emergency roof and secured.
In 2004 the City of Anklam took over responsibility for the deconsecrated building and in 2007, planning began for the comprehensive securing and reconstruction of the former church.
Anklam - Nikolaikirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The building, begun around 1280, was completed by the end of the 14th century. It is named after Nicholas of Myra, the patron saint of sailors and merchants. The Nikolaikirches a purely Gothic building. Until its destruction, the church was considered a landmark of Anklam and was a pilot sign visible from afar, as the tower reached a height of 103 metres.
The interior was decorated with valuable furnishings. Despite being removed from storage during WWII, some parts are still missing today. Others, such as the magnificent candlesticks, the apostle bell and parts of the choir stalls, are now in the Marienkirche.
The destruction of the church did not occur until 29 April 1945, when German shells hit the town, which was already occupied by the Red Army. In the process, the spire collapsed into the nave. The church was partially burnt out, only the tower stump and the surrounding walls with free pillars and segmental arches remained standing.
After the war, the ruins were provisionally secured.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the situation of the building became increasingly critical, there was a danger of collapse. Anklam citizens joined together to form an association for the promotion of the church. From 1995 to 1996, the nave was provided with an emergency roof and secured.
In 2004 the City of Anklam took over responsibility for the deconsecrated building and in 2007, planning began for the comprehensive securing and reconstruction of the former church.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
There was a highly interesting temporary exhibition of tiles with religious motifs in Marienkirche. I learned that in times when pictures were frowned upon in Protestant, Calvinist areas, pious people used such tiles.
Here are the Magis
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
During a restoration in 1936/37, the paintings were discovered by chance. They had disappeared and been forgotten for centuries under thick layers of paint. Most of them probably date from the first half of the 14th century. The paintings were uncovered are exceptionally well preserved and mostly original to this day.
When in 1535, the Reformation was introduced in Pomerania the Marienkirche retained its name in the now Protestant Anklam. However, following the taste of the times the paintings were painted over after that.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
During a restoration in 1936/37, the paintings were discovered by chance. They had disappeared and been forgotten for centuries under thick layers of paint. Most of them probably date from the first half of the 14th century. The paintings were uncovered are exceptionally well preserved and mostly original to this day.
When in 1535, the Reformation was introduced in Pomerania the Marienkirche retained its name in the now Protestant Anklam. However, following the taste of the times the paintings were painted over after that.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
During a restoration in 1936/37, the paintings were discovered by chance. They had disappeared and been forgotten for centuries under thick layers of paint. Most of them probably date from the first half of the 14th century. The paintings were uncovered are exceptionally well preserved and mostly original to this day.
When in 1535, the Reformation was introduced in Pomerania the Marienkirche retained its name in the now Protestant Anklam. However, following the taste of the times the paintings were painted over after that.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there.
Large parts of the choir stalls from the 15th century come from the Nikolaikirche in Anklam, which was almost completely destroyed during the war.
Carved from oak, the pews once closed off the rows of seats in the choir room, which once were reserved for religious and priests. After the Reformation, many choir stalls were lost because they had lost their function. They were often only preserved because of their carvings.
One mystery is why there is so much carved graffiti here (and only here). St. Lawrence looks a bit annoyed about them.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there.
Large parts of the choir stalls from the 15th century come from the Nikolaikirche in Anklam, which was almost completely destroyed during the war.
Carved from oak, the pews once closed off the rows of seats in the choir room, which once were reserved for religious and priests. After the Reformation, many choir stalls were lost because they had lost their function. They were often only preserved because of their carvings.
One mystery is why there is so much carved graffiti here (and only here).
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there.
The baptismal font is made of limestone from the Baltic island of Gotland and dates from around 1330. It is decorated with floral and mask motifs and was originally also coloured.
Following the taste of the times, it was removed from the church in modern times and stood around as a flowerpot by the roadside in the 19th century. In the 1930s it was brought back into the church and placed in the choir.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there.
The main altar was created after the WWII by using the damaged (and empty!) altarpiece with four panel paintings and a large medieval crucifix.
The large crucifix dates from the late Middle Ages. The panel paintings were originally the backs of the hinged side wings. They date from the early 16th century and show scenes from the life of Mary. On the upper left is a Christmas scene.
The "Presentation in the Temple" is shown at the bottom right. According to Jewish tradition, Mary brings two doves as a sacrifice to the temple.
At the bottom left, the picture shows the death of Mary. Surrounded by the apostles, she lies on her deathbed.
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there.
Sippenaltar
The Sippenaltar (clan altar) was created around the year 1500.
The "Holy Kinship" was depicted on the Anklam altar with figures between a growing rose bush. There was a large central box with two folding side wings that made it possible to open the altar on holidays and close it at other times.
All carved figures of the altar were lost during WWII. Only the painted outsides of the wings were preserved. They show two scenes from the Christmas story. Left: Mary and Joseph with the child. Right: Mary and the Child with the Magi.
Other scenes from the story can be seen in the background: The shepherds
Anklam - Marienkirche
09 Nov 2021 |
|
|
Anklam was originally a Wendish fortress, as there was a Scandinavian and Wendish settlement here in the early Middle Ages.
Later the town became part of the Duchy of Pomerania. During the German eastward expansion, the abandoned fortress was developed into a settlement. The town has significance as a shipping port on the river Peene. It was elevated to the status of a town in 1244 and joined the Hanseatic League in the same year and prospered through membership.
The town suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War when Swedish and imperial troops fought over it for twenty years. During this and subsequent wars, the town was repeatedly ravaged by fires and the plague. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648 but in 1676 it was conquered by Frederick William of Brandenburg.
In 1713 Anklam was sacked by soldiers of the Russian Empire. With the Stockholm Treaty of 1720, the southern parts of the town were ceded to Prussia, while a smaller part north of the Peene remained Swedish.
-
The Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1296. The construction probably began 40 years earlier. It was a Romanesque church with a double tower, which can be classified as much older and was then rebuilt in Gothic style. The Romanesque tower is still recognisable in the masonry of its Gothic successor. By the end of the 15th century, St. Mary's Church had acquired its present appearance.
The design of the tower changed over time. In 1816, the pointed spire, which had been destroyed by fire, was replaced by a lower pyramidal roof. In 1884, the low spire also burnt down after a lightning strike, whereupon the four gables of the tower were rebuilt and substantially raised, and the Marienkirche was provided with a Gothic pointed spire, which reached a height of about 100 metres. The new spire was completed in 1888. During a bombing raid in 1943, this construction was destroyed and only three of the former four gables remained standing. After the war, the tower was given a simpler gable roof with only two gables and today has a height of 64 metres.
Much of the furnishings was removed during the Second World War. It did not save them, however, because most of it disappeared there. This sculpture was once in the centre of the high altar.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "wendish" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter