Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Vizelin

Ratekau - Vicelinkirche

02 Jul 2021 1 89
The construction of the Vicelinkirche in Ratekau, a single-nave hall church built in Romanesque style with a choir and apse. The construction was started in 1156, after Wagria was conquered by the Holsteins in 1138/39. Adolf II of Schauenburg and Holstein, whom Wagria was given as a fief by Henry the Lion, entrusted Vizelin with spreading Christianity among the Slavs. At the same time he started colonization with Christian settlers. The church was first mentioned in a document in 1234/1235, when the apse arch and vault were renewed. The 48-meter-high round tower served as a defense tower.

Ratekau - Vicelinkirche

02 Jul 2021 1 80
The construction of the Vicelinkirche in Ratekau, a single-nave hall church built in Romanesque style with a choir and apse, started in 1156, after Wagria was conquered by the Holsteins in 1138/39. Adolf II of Schauenburg and Holstein, whom Wagria was given as a fief by Henry the Lion, entrusted Vizelin with spreading Christianity among the Slavs. At the same time he started colonization with Christian settlers. The church was first mentioned in a document in 1234/1235, when the apse arch and vault were renewed. The 48-meter-high round tower served as a defence tower. The church was built mainly of fieldstones using mortar

Rensefeld - St. Fabian

02 Jul 2021 1 76
Rensefeld was originally an independent municipality, but is now seamlessly intergrown with Bad Schwartau. Rensefeld was founded and the church built by Vizelin shortly after the conquest of Wagria by the Holsten in 1138/1139. The church was originally dedicated to St. Fabian and St. Sebastian. Since St. Fabianus and St. Sebastian have the same commemoration day (January 20), it is assumed that the dedication took place on Sunday, January 20, 1163. In 1234, the church was severely damaged when there was a dispute between Lübeck and King Waldemar II of Denmark. Therefore, the church in its present form dates back to a new construction that took place afterwards - around the middle of the 13th century. In 1693 the original tower was replaced by a square one built of fieldstones. About 100 years later, this new tower was already in danger of collapse and was repaired with bricks - which was repeated in the following period. The church was locked, so I could not see the 14th-century figurative painting of the Last Judgement, which was found under plaster in 1902. Nor could I see the large cross of triumph cross from the same century.

Rensefeld - St. Fabian

02 Jul 2021 73
Rensefeld was originally an independent municipality, but is now seamlessly intergrown with Bad Schwartau. Rensefeld was founded and the church built by Vizelin shortly after the conquest of Wagria by the Holsten in 1138/1139. The church was originally dedicated to St. Fabian and St. Sebastian. Since St. Fabianus and St. Sebastian have the same commemoration day (January 20), it is assumed that the dedication took place on Sunday, January 20, 1163. In 1234, the church was severely damaged when there was a dispute between Lübeck and King Waldemar II of Denmark. Therefore, the church in its present form dates back to a new construction that took place afterwards - around the middle of the 13th century. In 1693 the original tower was replaced by a square one built of fieldstones. About 100 years later, this new tower was already in danger of collapse and was repaired with bricks - which was repeated in the following period. The church was locked, so I could not see the 14th-century figurative painting of the Last Judgement, which was found under plaster in 1902. Nor could I see the large cross of triumph cross from the same century.

Rensefeld - St. Fabian

02 Jul 2021 1 69
Rensefeld was originally an independent municipality, but is now seamlessly intergrown with Bad Schwartau. Rensefeld was founded and the church built by Vizelin shortly after the conquest of Wagria by the Holsten in 1138/1139. The church was originally dedicated to St. Fabian and St. Sebastian. Since St. Fabianus and St. Sebastian have the same commemoration day (January 20), it is assumed that the dedication took place on Sunday, January 20, 1163. In 1234, the church was severely damaged when there was a dispute between Lübeck and King Waldemar II of Denmark. Therefore, the church in its present form dates back to a new construction that took place afterwards - around the middle of the 13th century. In 1693 the original tower was replaced by a square one built of fieldstones. About 100 years later, this new tower was already in danger of collapse and was repaired with bricks - which was repeated in the following period. The church was locked, so I could not see the 14th-century figurative painting of the Last Judgement, which was found under plaster in 1902. Nor could I see the large cross of triumph cross from the same century.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

02 Jul 2021 93
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. The triumphal cross from 1500.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

02 Jul 2021 91
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. The bronze baptismal font was cast by Ghert Klinghe in 1447. It is dated and signed.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

01 Jul 2021 2 83
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. A photo of the folding altar was stuck on the wall behind the temporary altar. On the right, under tarpaulins, the stairway to the pulpit.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

01 Jul 2021 1 1 83
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134. This was destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. Old churches need constant renovation and so we could see little inside.

Bad Segeberg- Volksbank

01 Jul 2021 1 63
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. In 1143 that the castle was restored and Vizelin could devote more time to missionary activities. In the 1230s, Segeberg that had grown near the castle received the Lübeck town charter. Forerunners of the German "Volksbanken" were often so-called "Vorschussvereine" (~ advance money union), founded in the second half of the 19th century following the ideas of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen and Hermann Schulze-Delitzsch. One of them existed here and had this impressive building erected. The deorated portal is dated 1914. The year WWI started..

Bad Segeberg- Volksbank

01 Jul 2021 102
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. In 1143 that the castle was restored and Vizelin could devote more time to missionary activities. In the 1230s, Segeberg that had grown near the castle received the Lübeck town charter. Forerunners of the German "Volksbanken" were often so-called "Vorschussvereine" (~ advance money union), founded in the second half of the 19th century following the ideas of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen and Hermann Schulze-Delitzsch. One of them existed here and had this impressive building erected around 1900.