Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Arminius Apotheke

Lügde - Arminius Apotheke

03 May 2021 158
Lügde was first mentioned in 784 in the "Annales Regni Francorum" ("Royal Frankish Annals") when Charlemagne celebrated his first Christmas in what was then the Duchy of Saxony, namely in "Villa Liuhidi". The "Villa Liuhidi" was probably a small fortified place. The town of Lügde may have had "some importance" as early as 1195, as a coin minted that year exists. The city charter was certainly granted in 1246 at the latest, as the town plan, which is still in its original form today, and the fortifications, such as the town wall, moat and defence towers, were created during this time. In addition, Lügde had a market and a city council with a seal. Lügde was a planned foundation by the Pyrmont Counts. It has the typical three-street system with the main axis and two side streets. For a while, Lügde was the capital of the County of Pyrmont and the seat of the counts. In 1255 the Counts had to cede half of Lügde to the Archbishop of Cologne. In 1583 the residents converted to the Reformation. However, during the Thirty Years' War, after violent disputes, they were forced to give up the Lutheran creed and return to the Catholic. At the end of the war, a third of the city was destroyed and the population utterly impoverished. Following the inscription on the wall to the left, the "Arminius Apotheke" (pharmacy) was founded some decades later - in 1623.