Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Augustoritum

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

11 Mar 2021 1 175
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower. The rood screen was made in Renaissance style between 1533 and 1536. It was badly damaged during the French Revolution. At the end of the 19th century, the rood screen was placed in the western vestibule. Scars of the Revolution in a wreath of laurel.

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

11 Mar 2021 2 163
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower. The rood screen was made in Renaissance style between 1533 and 1536. It was badly damaged during the French Revolution. At the end of the 19th century, the rood screen was placed in the western vestibule.

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

11 Mar 2021 1 126
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower. The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century. The crossing

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

10 Mar 2021 2 1 203
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower. The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century. The Magi

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

10 Mar 2021 2 174
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower. The stained glass windows of the choir must have been fitted before 1330. This glazing underwent great restoration in the19th century. Here are Saint Sebastian (very left), Saint Stephen in the center and Saint Martin on the right.

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

10 Mar 2021 1 182
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated bell tower.

Limoges - Lido

09 Mar 2021 146
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. The Lido Limoge is a nice cinema. The Lido in Paris is much better known for sure.

Limoges - Le Grilladin

08 Mar 2021 1 159
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. Somebody has advised us, to do a little stopover in "Le Grilladin". He had told us, that it looked pretty rundown, but the food would be delicious. Well, it was locked, so we could not try. legrilladin.fr/index.php/le-resto

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

08 Mar 2021 1 138
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

08 Mar 2021 1 143
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.

Limoges - Cathédrale Saint-Étienne

08 Mar 2021 139
The city was founded as Augustoritum by the Romans, around 10 BC. Later it was "renamed" after the tribe of the Lemovices whose chief town it was. Limoges was evangelized by Saint Martial, who came to the city around 250. Starting from the construction of the Abbey of St. Martial in the 9th century, the settlement grew around the tomb of the saint. Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St. Martial and its large library, Limoges became a flourishing artistic centre. It was home to an important school of medieval music composition. In the 13th century, at the peak of its splendour, central Limoges consisted of two fortified settlements. In 1370 during the Hundred Years War, Limoges was occupied by Edward, the Black Prince, who massacred some 300 residents with another members of the garrison. In 1095 Pope Urban II consecrated a Romanesque cathedral on the site of today's church, but alreday Bishop Aymeric de La Serre decided to build a new cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1273. First the choir was built, which was added to the Romanesque nave. In 1327 the construction work stopped for about 50 years due to lack of money. After the end of the Hundred Years War, the two eastern bays of the nave were built between 1458 and 1499. In 1533 the construction of the four western nave bays was commisioned. Due to the Huguenot Wars, construction work was interrupted again. It was only in the third construction phase, from 1876 to 1888 that the nave was connected to the previously isolated 62-meter-high bell tower.