Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Stadtsaalgebäude

Burghausen - Stadtsaalgebäude

31 Jan 2021 1 103
Around 1230 Emperor Conrad II ("Conrad the Elder") appointed the Counts of Burghausen as the financial administrators of the locality. This was an important place as the Salzach river was one of the important transport routes. All boats had to stop here and - pay the toll. Another source of income was the trade-in salt from Hallein, in modern-day Austria. The salt was brought ashore in Burghausen and transported further overland. The House of Wittelsbach took possession of the castle in 1180 and the surrounding valley settlements in 1229. In 1307, the pre-existing local law was codified as municipal law, and in the first half of the 14th century, Emperor Louis IV granted the town further privileges. Under the last three Lower Bavarian dukes, Henry XVI the Rich (1393–1450), Louis IX the Rich (1450–1479) and George the Rich, (1479–1503), Burghausen experienced an expansion and golden age as the second capital of the duchy Bavaria-Landshut. The blue building was built after the city fire in 1504, probably in the middle of the 16th century. The facade with the Bavarian coat of arms was designed in the middle of the 18th century. The building served as a l government building until 1802. After the building was acquired by the city, a city hall was built in 1937/1938. It can host more than 1800 visitors for special events.