Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Monsempron-Libos
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
16 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
The choir of the church was built over a crypt and so stairs lead up to it. The apse is Gothic. The capitals are extraordinary.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
The church has two portals, this one at the western facade is the larger ones. The carvings look so unweathered, that they may well be the result of a renovation.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
Behind the scaffolding are some nice, intricate Romanesque carvings.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale.
By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory is owned by the municipality.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century. It got enlarged and modified in the 16th and 17th century,
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Part of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale.
By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Monsempron-Libos" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter