Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Graufthal

Graufthal - Maisons des Rochers

28 Nov 2019 3 121
According to archaeologists, the first caves were used here in the Middle Ages, when they were used for storage. They were converted into semi-troglodyte dwellings in the 17th century. One of the doors of the current cave houses is dated 1760. They were inhabited until 1958 and are now used as a museum.

Graufthal - Abbaye de Graufthal

28 Nov 2019 112
Not much is known about Graufthal Abbey. A legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Sigebaud, who was Bishop of Metz from 716 on. The area was given in fief of the bishopric of Metz to the Lords of Lützelburg. The Great Peasants' War came to strike a fatal blow to the abbey in 1525 and it fell in ruins. Today some parts of the cloister are unearthed.