Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Diocese of Minden

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 3 268
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated and the gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. The new altar is adorned with sandstone figures of the Twelve Apostles created around 1520 in the studio of the "Master of Osnabrück". They had been removed from the church in 1830/31 and "got lost". In 1987 they returned to St. Martin after a joint fundraising organised by the church and the City of Nienburg saved them from an auction in London. The 12 Apostles returned home again.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 201
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated and the gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. During the restoration work some late Gothic murals under the ceiling were discovered and got restored. Here are David and Goliath.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 1 1 319
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated. The gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. During the restoration work some late Gothic murals were discovered under the ceiling and got restored.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 237
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed in the center of Nienburg within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. The sandstone base of the dominating tower (73 meters) dates back to the 13th century. The original tower was badly damaged during the Thirty Years' War and was replaced tower after the war. In 1896, this tower got replaced by the neo-Gothic tower.

Nienburg - Posthof

01 Apr 2019 1 233
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. This building originally erected in 1561 was later used as a "relais" by the House of Thurn and Taxis. This family had a kind of monopoly in all postal services in the Holy Roman Empire. In 1678 the House of Hanover was able to enter the service in their territories in Northern Germany. Around 1700 different "post lines" were established: Hannover-Osnabrueck-Muenster (twice weekly), Hannover-Wildeshausen- Netherlands (twice weekly). Passengers could travel Hannover-Osnabrueck-Amsterdam with the postal service. The Posthof was not just a "relais", where the horses were changed. It as well hosted a control station, where clerks opened letters and checked the content.

Nienburg

01 Apr 2019 2 262
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. When Count Otto VIII of Hoya died in 1582 without descendants, the (Guelph) Dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg took over and stayed in power here until 1866, except for Napoleonic French rule from 1803 to 1813. The first stone bridge spanning the Weser river was built 1715 to 1723. This bridge was a gift to the city from George III, Elector of Hanover, who in 1714 became George I of Great Britain, as the first monarch of the House of Hanover. With a population of more than 30.000 Nienburg is the largest city in the area "Middle Weser". When you visit Nienburg, you could stay in this half timbered building. "Pension Martin" claims it is the oldest house in town. pension-st-martin.de/index.php?cat_id=0