Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: fortifee
Diges - Saint Martin
25 Feb 2021 |
|
|
A parish existed here alread within the 10 century. Saint Martin was built between the 13th century and the 16th century. At that time, it was the chapel of a castle, some remains of the fortifications can still be seen.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
02 May 2020 |
|
|
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
All along the nave are some very unusual carvings. May the artistic style be not that surprising, the themes and icons are very specific.
This may depict Salome´s dance - and the head of John the Baptist.
Matthew 14. 6
"But on Herod's birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them: and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath, to give her whatsoever she would ask of him. But she being instructed before by her mother, said: Give me here in a dish the head of John the Baptist."
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
02 May 2020 |
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
These four Atlants support the vaults of the tower. Must be a very heavy load.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
02 May 2020 |
|
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
Staring up - into the 12th century tower.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
01 May 2020 |
|
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
The stalls and the choir, rebuilt in Gothic style after the Wars of Religion.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
01 May 2020 |
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
The Romanesque nave.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
01 May 2020 |
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
The northern wall, erected in the 11th century, testifies major changes, that were made. The portal at the second bay is only partly visible. When the stone vaulting was installed a century later, the outer walls were too weak, to support it, so buttresses were added to reinforce the wall. At that time the windows were enlarged as well.
Nouaillé-Maupertuis - Abbaye Saint-Junien
01 May 2020 |
|
|
|
The abbey was founded at the end of the 7th century by monks from the abbey Saint-Hilaire de Poitiers. In the early years only a small convent existed, dependent from the abbey in Poitiers, just 15kms away. Since 830, when the remains of Saint Junien de Poitou (once befriended with Queen Radegunde) were transferred to the convent, it is known as "Abbaye Saint-Junien". At that time a church was built, equipped with a crypt, to receive the relics.
In the 11th century, under the protection of the Counts of Poitou, the abbey prospered and restorations were undertaken. In the 12th century, the vaulted nave was completed and the belltower got erected.
During the 100 Years´ War, it was necessary to fortify the abbey. Walls and ditches surrounded the complex in the 14th century. After a century of prosperity, when again buildings got added, the Wars of Religion started and during the siege of Poitiers in 1569, the Protestant army of Gaspard II de Coligny pillaged and burned the abbey. When the troops left choir and cloister were gone, while the nave was relatively spared.
The restoration of the damage took a century. In 1734 the abbey only had seven monks, in 1790, when the Revolution had taken over there were only four. The abbey was sold in 1792, the church since then serves the parish. Today large parts are privately owned.
Écoyeux - Saint-Vivien
24 Apr 2020 |
|
|
Saint-Vivien was erected within the 12th century and got fortified like a castle during the 100 Years´ War. At that time the walls of the nave got enlarged - and towers were added.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
16 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
The choir of the church was built over a crypt and so stairs lead up to it. The apse is Gothic. The capitals are extraordinary.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
15 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
The church has two portals, this one at the western facade is the larger ones. The carvings look so unweathered, that they may well be the result of a renovation.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality.
Behind the scaffolding are some nice, intricate Romanesque carvings.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right).
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale.
By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory is owned by the municipality.
Monsempron - Saint-Géraud
14 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century. It got enlarged and modified in the 16th and 17th century,
The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory.
The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Part of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale.
By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory.
Hartmannswiller - Saint Blaise
09 Apr 2018 |
|
|
Saint-Blaise was burnt down by mercenaries in 1376, but got rebuilt in the 15th century. As the times were very rough the cementary then got fortified. Once a ditch run around the enclosing wall, that was then upto 5 metres high . In the mid 19th century the wall got lowered to 2,70 metres for security reasons.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "fortifee" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter