Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Richard Cœur de Lion
Jard-sur-Mer - Sainte-Radegonde
10 Oct 2018 |
|
In 1198 Richard Lionheart had founded a monastery for the Premonstratensian order nearby. The same year this church was completed as well with Richard´s support.
The preceding building (~8th century) may have been erected, when nuns from the Sainte-Croix Abbey in Poitiers had fled the Saracens to Jard-sur-Mer, bringing the relics of Saint Radegonde, Queen of the Franks. After Charles Martel´s army had defeated the Arab troops between Tours and Portiers (732) the nuns probably returned.
The church of today got fortified in the 15th century and was surrounded by a moat. When Potestant tropps attacked the town in 1568 the church got severely damaged, but it got rebuilt, enlarged and modified. The apse and the chapel are erected in Gothic style.
Jard-sur-Mer - Sainte-Radegonde
10 Oct 2018 |
|
|
In 1198 Richard Lionheart had founded a monastery for the Premonstratensian order nearby. The same year this church was completed as well with Richard´s support.
The preceding building (~8th century) may have been erected, when nuns from the Sainte-Croix Abbey in Poitiers had fled the Saracens to Jard-sur-Mer, bringing the relics of Saint Radegonde, Queen of the Franks. After Charles Martel´s army had defeated the Arab troops between Tours and Portiers (732) the nuns probably returned.
The church of today got fortified in the 15th century and was surrounded by a moat. When Potestant tropps attacked the town in 1568 the church got severely damaged, but it got rebuilt, enlarged and modified. The nave, seen here, is Romaneque, while the later added apse is Gothic.
Jard-sur-Mer - Sainte-Radegonde
09 Oct 2018 |
|
|
|
In 1198 Richard Lionheart had founded a monastery for the Premonstratensian order nearby. The same year this church was completed as well with Richard´s support.
The preceding building (~8th century) may have been erected, when nuns from the Sainte-Croix Abbey in Poitiers had fled the Saracens to Jard-sur-Mer, bringing the relics of Saint Radegonde, Queen of the Franks. After Charles Martel´s army had defeated the Arab troops between Tours and Portiers (732) the nuns probably returned.
The church of today got fortified in the 15th century and was surrounded by a moat. When Potestant tropps attacked the town in 1568 the church got severely damaged, but it got rebuilt, enlarged and modified.
Les Andelys - Château Gaillard
18 Sep 2018 |
|
|
Richard I of England (aka "Richard Lionheart") was taken prisoner on his return from the Third Crusade by Leopold V, Duke of Austria. He was imprisoned was imprisoned in Dürnstein Castle and later Trifels Castle and was finally released after Emperor Henry VI had received 100,000 pounds of silver as ransom.
During this time his brother John Lackland revolted against him with the aid of Philip II of France. Richard Lionheart, who was King of England and Duke of Normandy had this castle built in record time of only two years from 1196 on. After Richard´s death in 1199 the Château Gaillard was taken in 1204 by Philip II, after a lengthy siege.
The castle changed hands several times in the Hundred Years' War, but in 1449 the French king captured Château Gaillard from the English definitively, and from then on it remained in French ownership. Henry IV of France ordered the demolition of Château Gaillard in 1599.
.. and during the "Tour de France" the wall of the castle is decorated "with a giant "maillot jaune".
Thiviers - Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
30 Jan 2018 |
|
The city of Thiviers has been conquered, ruined and looted a couple of times. At the end of the 12th century it was English, taken by Richard Lionheart, later it was French again. Lionheart´s brother John Lackland conquered Thiviers in 1211, but only a year later, it was reconquered by French troops. 1374 - 1376 it was English again, before finally Charles VI. (aka "le Bien-Aimé", "le Fou") took over.
In 1575, during the Wars of Religion, Thiviers was conquered by Calvinists, who ruined the church and massacred the Catholic population.
So Notre-Dame de l'Assomption is the result of many rebuilding and reconstruction periods. The last one was completed within the 19th century. Only the transept and some capitals date back to the 12th century.
Here is one of the capitals.
The two executioners, holding the doomed offender, on their way to work. Poor guy!
Thiviers - Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
30 Jan 2018 |
|
The city of Thiviers has been conquered, ruined and looted a couple of times. At the end of the 12th century it was English, taken by Richard Lionheart, later it was French again. Lionheart´s brother John Lackland conquered Thiviers in 1211, but only a year later, it was reconquered by French troops. 1374 - 1376 it was English again, before finally Charles VI. (aka "le Bien-Aimé", "le Fou") took over.
In 1575, during the Wars of Religion, Thiviers was conquered by Calvinists, who ruined the church and massacred the Catholic population.
So Notre-Dame de l'Assomption is the result of many rebuilding and reconstruction periods. The last one was completed within the 19th century. Only the transept and some capitals date back to the 12th century.
Here is one of the capitals.
Are the lions (and the puppet-like riders) beiong devoured by the large heads on the corners? Or do the lions share these heads? Or... what about the body below the lions in the center. What do the puppets hold in their hands. Why is the left rider so much larger, but sits wrong around on the lion? Or...
Thiviers - Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
30 Jan 2018 |
|
The city of Thiviers has been conquered, ruined and looted a couple of times. At the end of the 12th century it was English, taken by Richard Lionheart, later it was French again. Lionheart´s brother John Lackland conquered Thiviers in 1211, but only a year later, it was reconquered by French troops. 1374 - 1376 it was English again, before finally Charles VI. (aka "le Bien-Aimé", "le Fou") took over.
In 1575, during the Wars of Religion, Thiviers was conquered by Calvinists, who ruined the church and massacred the Catholic population.
So Notre-Dame de l'Assomption is the result of many rebuilding and reconstruction periods. The last one was completed within the 19th century. Only the transept and some capitals date back to the 12th century.
Here is one of the capitals. Huge, dangerous, wild creatures devour poor souls.
Thiviers - Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
30 Jan 2018 |
|
The city of Thiviers has been conquered, ruined and looted a couple of times. At the end of the 12th century it was English, taken by Richard Lionheart, later it was French again. Lionheart´s brother John Lackland conquered Thiviers in 1211, but only a year later, it was reconquered by French troops. 1374 - 1376 it was English again, before finally Charles VI. (aka "le Bien-Aimé", "le Fou") took over.
In 1575, during the Wars of Religion, Thiviers was conquered by Calvinists, who ruined the church and massacred the Catholic population.
So Notre-Dame de l'Assomption is the result of many rebuilding and reconstruction periods. The last one was completed within the 19th century. Only the transept (and some capitals) date back to the 12th century.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Richard Cœur de Lion" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter