Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: 05

Saint-Firmin - Saint-Firmin

10 Dec 2018 2 257
The parish existed here already in medieval times. Around 1000 the church was "transferred" to Cluny. They abbey founded a priory here and parts of the tower may still date back to that time. When the church of today was erected mid 19th century, a christian tomb, dated to the 7th century, was excavated on the spot.

Gap - Hôtel le Clos

09 Dec 2018 4 164
Hôtel le Clos was awarded 3 cocottes by the "Logis Hotels and Restaurants". Le dessert à la maison

Gap - Hôtel le Clos

09 Dec 2018 1 172
Hôtel le Clos was awarded 3 cocottes by the "Logis Hotels and Restaurants". Le duo de faisselle et de coppa de pays

Gap - Hôtel le Clos

09 Dec 2018 158
Hôtel le Clos was awarded 3 cocottes by the "Logis Hotels and Restautrants". Foie gras de canard au sel de Guérande, confiture de courgettes au genépi, pain d' epeautre grillé Genépi is a regional herb liqueur (40%!!)

Gorges de la Méouge

05 Apr 2018 1 213
The "Gorges de la Méouge", east of Barret-sur-Méouge, is 7 kms long gorge carved by the Méouge river through the limestone rock of the Hautes-Alpes. The gorge has wild shapes, small sandy beaches, huge polished pebbles, water holes and waterfalls, so it is very popular and attracts many tourists.

Gorges de la Méouge

05 Apr 2018 156
The "Gorges de la Méouge", east of Barret-sur-Méouge, is 7 kms long gorge carved by the Méouge river through the limestone rock of the Hautes-Alpes. The gorge has wild shapes, small sandy beaches, huge polished pebbles, water holes and waterfalls, so it is very popular and attracts many tourists.

Saint-André-de-Rosans - Prieuré

22 Dec 2016 1 222
The hamlet Saint-André-de-Rosans (pop. ~140) developed around a priory, that was founded in here 998, after the Abbey of Cluny had received a donation. During the French Wars of Religions the priory was attacked by Huguenot troops led by Charles du Puy-Montbrun and got largely destroyed. The convent nevertheless did exist upto the French Revolution. The former convent church, erected within the 11th and 12th century is in ruins since then, but some Romanesque carvings can still be seen.

Saint-André-de-Rosans - Prieuré

22 Dec 2016 178
The hamlet Saint-André-de-Rosans (pop. ~140) developed around a priory, that was founded in here 998, after the Abbey of Cluny had received a donation. During the French Wars of Religions the priory was attacked by Huguenot troops led by Charles du Puy-Montbrun and got largely destroyed. The convent nevertheless did exist upto the French Revolution. The former convent church, erected within the 11th and 12th century is in ruins since then, but some Romanesque carvings can still be seen.

Saint-André-de-Rosans - Prieuré

22 Dec 2016 1 187
The hamlet Saint-André-de-Rosans (pop. ~140) developed around a priory, that was founded in here 998, after the Abbey of Cluny had received a donation. The priory was attacked and got largely destroyed during the French Wars of Religions, but did exist upto the French Revolution. The former convent church, erected within the 11th and 12th century is in ruins since then. For sure the Benedictines had a nice garden like this 800 years ago, but maybe not that near to the convent´s church. Since the monks left and the church is in ruins, the villagers have gardens here.

Saint-André-de-Rosans - Prieuré

22 Dec 2016 215
The hamlet Saint-André-de-Rosans (pop. ~140) developed around a priory, that was founded in here 998, after the Abbey of Cluny had received a donation. The priory was attacked and got largely destroyed during the French Wars of Religions, but did exist upto the French Revolution. The former convent church, erected within the 11th and 12th century is in ruins since then. Some parts of an old mosaic floor were found near the former refectory, that is meanwhile transformed into the parish church.

Saint-André-de-Rosans - Prieuré

22 Dec 2016 209
The hamlet Saint-André-de-Rosans (pop. ~140) developed around a priory, that was founded in here 998, after the Abbey of Cluny had received a donation. The priory was attacked and got largely destroyed during the French Wars of Religions, but did exist upto the French Revolution. The former convent church, erected within the 11th and 12th century is in ruins since then.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

22 Dec 2016 202
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. It has an impressive ribbed vaulting made of black and white stones. The capitals around the nave are Romanesque. Two lions with enormous tongues flank a mermaid, probably a cousin of the mermaid I had met near the portal.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

22 Dec 2016 209
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. It has an impressive ribbed vaulting made of black and white stones. The capitals around the nave are Romanesque. It is easy, to "read" the right scene (Adam, Eve, snake, tree), the left scene is not that easy. Three ladies. The mhyrrbearers (aka "Three Maries")?

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

22 Dec 2016 218
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. It has an impressive ribbed vaulting made of black and white stones. This massive griffin, carved from red marble, was moved inside the cathedral. Such creatures mostly guard the doors outside.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

22 Dec 2016 201
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. It has an impressive ribbed vaulting made of black and white stones.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

22 Dec 2016 1 1 285
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. Compared to the northern "Port Real", the central portal is pretty plain. The facade is dominated by the huge Gothic rose window (15th century), but there are as well some remarkable Romanesque carvings - like this mermaid.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

21 Dec 2016 1 231
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. Compared to the northern "Port Real", the Romanesque main portal is pretty plain. The huge rose window above dates to the 15th century.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

21 Dec 2016 4 1 263
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. The northern, Romanesque portal / narthex named "Port Real" (or "Portal des Rois Mages") got its name, as in the 14th century the tympanum got covered by a frescoe depicting the Magi. The frescoe was destroyed during, when the church got severely damaged during the French Wars of Religion, so by now the Romanesque tympanum is seen again. The artists, who created this portal, had a sense of droll humour. Between the pillars on the left side a little guy climbs up - and peeps down to the tourists. Maybe one of the aliens, who later visited Roswell, stayed here.

26 items in total