Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Electoral Palatinate

Kaub - St. Trinitatis / St. Nikolaus

14 Mar 2013 184
The oldest existing structure of the church in Kaub is the tower, dating back to the 12th century - and once part of the fortification. The adjoining church was demolished and replaced by an enlarged nave around 1440. While the nave was dedicated to Trinitatis at that time the choir was dedicated to St. Nikolaus, patron saint of the skippers. As part of the Electoral Palatinate, the whole area, including Kaub, changed to Protestantism after the Reformation, but when in 1685 the line of (Catholic) Palatinate-Neuburg came into power, a Catholic parish got established. So for a short while the church was shared (= Simultaneum). In 1707 a wall got erected inside, dividing the then Protestant nave from the Catholic choir. Seen here is the late Gothic portal to the Protestant St. Trinitatis church. Above the doors is the Baroque "Monumentum Lehrianum" from 1722. It commemorates (in Latin) the family of Lehrius. Johann Heinrch Lehrius served the parish as pastor between 1654 and 1688.