Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Ludwig IV
Mardorf - St. Hubertus
12 Feb 2021 |
|
Since 1971 Mardorf is part of Amöneburg, where St. Bonifatius founded a small "cella" in 721.
A "chapel" in Mardorf was first mentioned in 1266. This chapel was probably part of the village´s fortification. Today's Baroque church was erected between 1713 and 1722. The tower of the church is an older keep. In 1933 early Gothic murals were found here, dated to around 1270.
This is (for me) the most impressing murals in Mardorf. Depicted are scenes of the merciful deeds of St. Elizabeth.
Elizabeth of Hungary (German: Elisabeth von Thüringen) was married at the age of 14 to Ludwig IV (aka Louis IV, Landgrave of Thuringia), who was 17 at that time. She was widowed at 20 after her husband had died in Otranto on his way to Jerusalem ill of the plague.
After her husband's death she sent her children away and regained her dowry, using the money to build a hospital where she herself served the sick. She became a symbol of Christian charity after her death at the age of 24 and was canonized on 25 May 1235.
The last three years of her life Elizabeth had lived in Marburg (less than 15kms away). After her canonization her tomb developed into a main pilgrimage place in Germany.
This murals were created only a few decades after her death. They are a proof of the legendary popularity she had - and still has!
Darmstadt - Centralstation
16 Dec 2020 |
|
Darmstadt is a city in the southern part of the Rhine-Main-Area with a population of around 160,000. Darmstadt holds the official title "City of Science" as it is a major centre of scientific institutions, universities, and high-tech companies.
Darmstadt was chartered as a city by Emperor Ludwig IV ("The Bavarian") in 1330, at which time it belonged to the counts of Katzenelnbogen. The city became a secondary residence for the counts. When the House of Katzenelnbogen became extinct in 1479, the city was passed to the Landgraviate of Hesse and was the seat of the ruling landgraves and up to 1918 of the Grand Dukes of Hesse.
During the 19th century, the population grew from little over 10,000 to more than 70,000 inhabitants. In 1942 under the reign of the Nazis more than 3,000 Jews were deported to concentration camps where most died.
After a British bombing raid in September 1944, the old city centre was largely destroyed. During this attack, an estimated 11,000 to 12,500 inhabitants burned to death. Post-war rebuilding was done in a relatively plain architectural style, although a number of the historic buildings were rebuilt to their original appearance.
The Centralstation was Darmstadt's first power station, built in 1888.
The power station was primarily used to supply the electrical street lighting in downtown Darmstadt, the ducal court and the court theatre, and from 1897 also the tram. The plant made Darmstadt, after New York and Berlin, the third city in the world with an extensive power supply.
Today the Centralstation is a cultural place, presenting theatre, readings, lectures, exhibitions and concerts.
Kaub - Pfalzgrafenstein
14 Mar 2013 |
|
Pfalzgrafenstein Castle in the center, (reconsructed) Burg Gutenfels in the background to the left.
Ludwig the Bavarian (later "Ludwig IV, Holy Roman Emperor") erected a tower on the island in 1326/1327 to enforce the toll, that had to be paid in Kaub. Since 1477 Pfalzgrafenstein was in the ownership of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen, who extended the gun bastion. An iron chain across the Rhine forced all ships to submit. "Uncooperative" traders could be kept in the dungeon until a ransom was delivered.
Pfalzgrafenstein was never conquered or destroyed.
The plaque to the right commemorates Prussian General Bluecher, who crossed the Rhine here with his army of 60.000 in the pursuit of Napoleon´s army after the Battle of Leipzig. The island then was used as the center of a floating bridge, constructed by Russian military engineers.
Kaub - Pfalzgrafenstein
14 Mar 2013 |
|
MV Kuba in the forground and the castle of Rheingrafenstein in the background.
Ludwig the Bavarian (later "Ludwig IV, Holy Roman Emperor") erected a tower on the island in 1326/1327 to enforce the toll, that had to be paid in Kaub. Since 1477 Pfalzgrafenstein was in the ownership of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen, who extended the gun bastion. An iron chain across the Rhine forced all ships to submit. "Uncooperative" traders could be kept in the dungeon until a ransom was delivered.
Pfalzgrafenstein was never conquered or destroyed.
In January 1813 Prussian General Bluecher and his army of 60.000 crossed the Rhine here in the pursuit of Napoleon´s army after the Battle of Leipzig. The island then was used as the center of a floating bridge, constructed by Russian military engineers.
As this photo (taken in December) is rather bleak, the following upload will depict the castle in autumn, taken from the western riverbank.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Ludwig IV" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter