Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Ludwig the Bavarian
Kaub - Pfalzgrafenstein
14 Mar 2013 |
|
Pfalzgrafenstein Castle in the center, (reconsructed) Burg Gutenfels in the background to the left.
Ludwig the Bavarian (later "Ludwig IV, Holy Roman Emperor") erected a tower on the island in 1326/1327 to enforce the toll, that had to be paid in Kaub. Since 1477 Pfalzgrafenstein was in the ownership of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen, who extended the gun bastion. An iron chain across the Rhine forced all ships to submit. "Uncooperative" traders could be kept in the dungeon until a ransom was delivered.
Pfalzgrafenstein was never conquered or destroyed.
The plaque to the right commemorates Prussian General Bluecher, who crossed the Rhine here with his army of 60.000 in the pursuit of Napoleon´s army after the Battle of Leipzig. The island then was used as the center of a floating bridge, constructed by Russian military engineers.
Kaub - Pfalzgrafenstein
14 Mar 2013 |
|
MV Kuba in the forground and the castle of Rheingrafenstein in the background.
Ludwig the Bavarian (later "Ludwig IV, Holy Roman Emperor") erected a tower on the island in 1326/1327 to enforce the toll, that had to be paid in Kaub. Since 1477 Pfalzgrafenstein was in the ownership of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen, who extended the gun bastion. An iron chain across the Rhine forced all ships to submit. "Uncooperative" traders could be kept in the dungeon until a ransom was delivered.
Pfalzgrafenstein was never conquered or destroyed.
In January 1813 Prussian General Bluecher and his army of 60.000 crossed the Rhine here in the pursuit of Napoleon´s army after the Battle of Leipzig. The island then was used as the center of a floating bridge, constructed by Russian military engineers.
As this photo (taken in December) is rather bleak, the following upload will depict the castle in autumn, taken from the western riverbank.
Koblenz - St. Kastor
14 Mar 2013 |
|
The Romans founded this city 8BC under the name "Confluentes". Koblenz by now is situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence (sic!) with the Moselle.
The oldest church in Koblenz is the Basilica of St. Kastor, located next to the "Deutsches Eck". The first church here was built as part of a monastery 817-836 by Hetto, Archbishop of Trier, with the support of Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne. In 842 provisions of the division of the Frankish kingdom were negotiated here by representatives of Louis´ three sons Lothair I, Charles the Bald and Louis the German. This negotiation resulted in the Treaty of Verdun (843), which divided the Frankish Empire into three parts (West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia).
Normans raided the area and destroyed the Carolingian church in 882. Rebuilding started soon after. The new church grew much larger over the next 200 years. In 1138 Konrad III was elected here by an assembly consisting only of friends and supporters. Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian and Edward III of England swore allegiance and friendship at St. Kastor in 1338.
The monastery existed upto 1802. At that time Koblenz was French. All building including the cloister got demolished. The church since then served the local parish. St. Kastor got renovated within the 19th century, but in 1944 St. Kastor was damaged by an air raid. Rebuilding started just after WWII, the restauration of the interior was finally completed in 1990.
The once flat, wooden ceiling got replaced by this wonderful gothic vaulting 1496-1499.
Koblenz - St. Kastor
13 Mar 2013 |
|
The Romans founded this city 8BC under the name "Confluentes". Koblenz by now is situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence (sic!) with the Moselle.
The oldest church in Koblenz is the Basilica of St. Kastor, located next to the "Deutsches Eck". The first church here was built as part of a monastery 817-836 by Hetto, Archbishop of Trier, with the support of Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne. In 842 provisions of the division of the Frankish kingdom were negotiated here by representatives of Louis´ three sons Lothair I, Charles the Bald and Louis the German. This negotiation resulted in the Treaty of Verdun (843), which divided the Frankish Empire into three parts (West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia).
Normans raided the area and destroyed the Carolingian church in 882. Rebuilding started soon after. The new church grew much larger over the next 200 years. In 1138 Konrad III was elected here by an assembly consisting only of friends and supporters. Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian and Edward III of England swore allegiance and friendship at St. Kastor in 1338.
The monastery existed upto 1802. At that time Koblenz was French. All building including the cloister got demolished. The church since then served the local parish. St. Kastor got renovated within the 19th century, but in 1944 St. Kastor was damaged by an air raid. Rebuilding started just after WWII, the restauration of the interior was finally completed in 1990.
The once flat, wooden ceiling got replaced by this wonderful gothic vaulting 1496-1499.
Koblenz - St. Kastor
13 Mar 2013 |
|
The Romans founded this city 8BC under the name "Confluentes". Koblenz by now is situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence (sic!) with the Moselle.
The oldest church in Koblenz is the Basilica of St. Kastor, located next to the "Deutsches Eck". The first church here was built as part of a monastery 817-836 by Hetto, Archbishop of Trier, with the support of Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne. In 842 provisions of the division of the Frankish kingdom were negotiated here by representatives of Louis´ three sons Lothair I, Charles the Bald and Louis the German. This negotiation resulted in the Treaty of Verdun (843), which divided the Frankish Empire into three parts (West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia).
Normans raided the area and destroyed the Carolingian church in 882. Rebuilding started soon after. The new church grew much larger over the next 200 years. In 1138 Konrad III was elected here by an assembly consisting only of friends and supporters. Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian and Edward III of England swore allegiance and friendship at St. Kastor in 1338.
The monastery existed upto 1802. At that time Koblenz was French. All building including the cloister got demolished. The church since then served the local parish. St. Kastor got renovated within the 19th century, but in 1944 St. Kastor was damaged by an air raid. Rebuilding started just after WWII, the restauration of the interior was finally completed in 1990.
The apse and the flanking towers.
Koblenz - St. Kastor
13 Mar 2013 |
|
The Romans founded this city 8BC under the name "Confluentes". Koblenz by now is situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence (sic!) with the Moselle.
The oldest church in Koblenz is the Basilica of St. Kastor, located next to the "Deutsches Eck". The first church here was built as part of a monastery 817-836 by Hetto, Archbishop of Trier, with the support of Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne. In 842 provisions of the division of the Frankish kingdom were negotiated here by representatives of Louis´ three sons Lothair I, Charles the Bald and Louis the German. This negotiation resulted in the Treaty of Verdun (843), which divided the Frankish Empire into three parts (West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia).
Normans raided the area and destroyed the Carolingian church in 882. Rebuilding started soon after. The new church grew much larger over the next 200 years. In 1138 Konrad III was elected here by an assembly consisting only of friends and supporters. Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian and Edward III of England swore allegiance and friendship at St. Kastor in 1338.
The monastery existed upto 1802. At that time Koblenz was French. All building including the cloister got demolished. The church since then served the local parish. St. Kastor got renovated within the 19th century, but in 1944 St. Kastor was damaged by an air raid. Rebuilding started just after WWII, the restauration of the interior was finally completed in 1990.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Ludwig the Bavarian" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter