Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Theoderich von Wied
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
20 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
A Gothic cloister joins the Cathedral and the Liebfrauenkirche. This elaborate portal leads into the eastern choir of the Liebfrauenkirche.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
19 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
Standing east of the Liebfrauenkirche (left) and the Cathedral of Trier (right), both connected by the Gothic cloister.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
19 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
This richly ornamented (6 archivolts!) portal leads back from the Liebrauenkirche into the Cathedral. I am unsure wether this is "late Romanesque" or "early Gothic".
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
19 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
Gothic vaults over the center of the rotunda.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
18 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
The Gothic vaults of the eastern choir.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
18 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
So the official name of this church is "Liebfrauen and St. Laurentius".
Since 1951 this is a "Basilica Minor" (nearby St. Matthias got this papal title already in the 1920s). The yellow/red Padiglione (aka "Umbraculum"), the umbrella seen in the foreground, decorates the choir, as this is one of the insigniae of such a honoured church.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
16 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is probably the oldest Gothic structure in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
15 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is probably the oldest Gothic structure in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
The elaborate main portal of the "Liebfrauenkirche", done in Early Gothic style, with clearly "French" roots.
In the center of the tympanum the enthroned Virgin holding the Child. Left of here are the three Magis - and further in the left corner shepherds listening to an angel above. Right of the Virgin is "Jesus´ "Jesus´ first Bath", followed by Joseph (?), holding a walking stick (Flight to Egypt?) - and three small men.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
15 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is probably the oldest Gothic structure in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
The elaborate main portal of the "Liebfrauenkirche". Early Gothic style, with clearly "French" roots. I will upload a close up next.
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
15 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame"). This is one of the oldest Gothic structures in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Theoderich von Wied" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter