Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Duchy of Westphalia

Bredelar - Kloster

04 Aug 2023 95
In 1170 the Archbishop of Cologne, Philipp von Heinsberg, founded a Philipp von Heinsberg a Premonstratensian convent here. The monastery church was dedicated to Saint Laurentius. In 1196, Archbishop Adolf I of Cologne converted the monastery into a Cistercian monastery. The first monks came from the nearby Hardehausen monastery. The monastery property was expanded in the 13th century through donations. In addition, the monastery expanded its holdings through purchase and leasehold. At times, vineyards on the Rhine were part of it. The manuscript of the Bredelar Bible, created between 1238 and 1241, dates from the heyday of the monastery. In the 14th and 15th centuries, numerous feuds in the area and the consequences of desertification led to the economic decline of the monastery and almost the cessation of religious life. In the 16th century the economic situation improved, so that the monastery equipment could be improved. During the Thirty Years' War the monastery was in such distress that in 1631 most of the monks left the monastery. Abbot Absalon Heuck (1640-1669) was able to restore the monastery buildings that had been damaged by the war. In the period from 1726 to 1766, the monastery received a large baroque new building. The monastery suffered setbacks during the Seven Years' War when, in August 1761, fighting broke out in front of the monastery between troops from France and Prussia. Around 350 soldiers were killed in the battle. At that time, the monastery was forced to pay high contributions. In addition, a military hospital was set up for around 250 soldiers. The monastery complex was completely destroyed by a devastating fire in March 1787. The monastery was rebuilt soon after, with debts continuing to mount and by 1801 was over 40,000 Reichsthalers. In 1802 the Duchy of Westphalia and with it the monastery fell to the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt. He had the monastery dissolved in 1804. The property became a state domain, which was initially leased. In 1842 it was sold to the hut owner Theodor Ulrich, who set up an iron foundry called "Theodorshütte" in the monastery complex. So it happened that between 1826 and 1870 the Ulrich company even installed blast furnaces in the monastery. During WW II there was a large warehouse for textiles and household goods in the monastery complex. In April 1945, this was looted by locals and former German prisoners. Since about 1980, most of the buildings have been empty. Parts of the monastery grounds are now a cultural and conference center, but it was locked and did not seem busy.

Bredelar - Kloster

04 Aug 2023 107
In 1170 the Archbishop of Cologne, Philipp von Heinsberg, founded a Philipp von Heinsberg a Premonstratensian convent here. The monastery church was dedicated to Saint Laurentius. In 1196, Archbishop Adolf I of Cologne converted the monastery into a Cistercian monastery. The first monks came from the nearby Hardehausen monastery. The monastery property was expanded in the 13th century through donations. In addition, the monastery expanded its holdings through purchase and leasehold. At times, vineyards on the Rhine were part of it. The manuscript of the Bredelar Bible, created between 1238 and 1241, dates from the heyday of the monastery. In the 14th and 15th centuries, numerous feuds in the area and the consequences of desertification led to the economic decline of the monastery and almost the cessation of religious life. In the 16th century the economic situation improved, so that the monastery equipment could be improved. During the Thirty Years' War the monastery was in such distress that in 1631 most of the monks left the monastery. Abbot Absalon Heuck (1640-1669) was able to restore the monastery buildings that had been damaged by the war. In the period from 1726 to 1766, the monastery received a large baroque new building. The monastery suffered setbacks during the Seven Years' War when, in August 1761, fighting broke out in front of the monastery between troops from France and Prussia. Around 350 soldiers were killed in the battle. At that time, the monastery was forced to pay high contributions. In addition, a military hospital was set up for around 250 soldiers. The monastery complex was completely destroyed by a devastating fire in March 1787. The monastery was rebuilt soon after, with debts continuing to mount and by 1801 was over 40,000 Reichsthalers. In 1802 the Duchy of Westphalia and with it the monastery fell to the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt. He had the monastery dissolved in 1804. The property became a state domain, which was initially leased. In 1842 it was sold to the hut owner Theodor Ulrich, who set up an iron foundry called "Theodorshütte" in the monastery complex. So it happened that between 1826 and 1870 the Ulrich company even installed blast furnaces in the monastery. During WW II there was a large warehouse for textiles and household goods in the monastery complex. In April 1945, this was looted by locals and former German prisoners. Since about 1980, most of the buildings have been empty. Parts of the monastery grounds are now a cultural and conference center, but it was locked and did not seem busy.

Bredelar - Kloster

04 Aug 2023 114
In 1170 the Archbishop of Cologne, Philipp von Heinsberg, founded a Philipp von Heinsberg a Premonstratensian convent here. The monastery church was dedicated to Saint Laurentius. In 1196, Archbishop Adolf I of Cologne converted the monastery into a Cistercian monastery. The first monks came from the nearby Hardehausen monastery. The monastery property was expanded in the 13th century through donations. In addition, the monastery expanded its holdings through purchase and leasehold. At times, vineyards on the Rhine were part of it. The manuscript of the Bredelar Bible, created between 1238 and 1241, dates from the heyday of the monastery. In the 14th and 15th centuries, numerous feuds in the area and the consequences of desertification led to the economic decline of the monastery and almost the cessation of religious life. In the 16th century the economic situation improved, so that the monastery equipment could be improved. During the Thirty Years' War the monastery was in such distress that in 1631 most of the monks left the monastery. Abbot Absalon Heuck (1640-1669) was able to restore the monastery buildings that had been damaged by the war. In the period from 1726 to 1766, the monastery received a large baroque new building. The monastery suffered setbacks during the Seven Years' War when, in August 1761, fighting broke out in front of the monastery between troops from France and Prussia. Around 350 soldiers were killed in the battle. At that time, the monastery was forced to pay high contributions. In addition, a military hospital was set up for around 250 soldiers. The monastery complex was completely destroyed by a devastating fire in March 1787. The monastery was rebuilt soon after, with debts continuing to mount and by 1801 was over 40,000 Reichsthalers. In 1802 the Duchy of Westphalia and with it the monastery fell to the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt. He had the monastery dissolved in 1804. The property became a state domain, which was initially leased. In 1842 it was sold to the hut owner Theodor Ulrich, who set up an iron foundry called "Theodorshütte" in the monastery complex. So it happened that between 1826 and 1870 the Ulrich company even installed blast furnaces in the monastery. During WW II there was a large warehouse for textiles and household goods in the monastery complex. In April 1945, this was looted by locals and former German prisoners. Since about 1980, most of the buildings have been empty. Parts of the monastery grounds are now a cultural and conference center, but it was locked and did not seem busy.

Bredelar - Kloster

03 Aug 2023 2 96
In 1170 the Archbishop of Cologne, Philipp von Heinsberg, founded a Philipp von Heinsberg a Premonstratensian convent here. The monastery church was dedicated to Saint Laurentius. In 1196, Archbishop Adolf I of Cologne converted the monastery into a Cistercian monastery. The first monks came from the nearby Hardehausen monastery. The monastery property was expanded in the 13th century through donations. In addition, the monastery expanded its holdings through purchase and leasehold. At times, vineyards on the Rhine were part of it. The manuscript of the Bredelar Bible, created between 1238 and 1241, dates from the heyday of the monastery. In the 14th and 15th centuries, numerous feuds in the area and the consequences of desertification led to the economic decline of the monastery and almost the cessation of religious life. In the 16th century the economic situation improved, so that the monastery equipment could be improved. During the Thirty Years' War the monastery was in such distress that in 1631 most of the monks left the monastery. Abbot Absalon Heuck (1640-1669) was able to restore the monastery buildings that had been damaged by the war. In the period from 1726 to 1766, the monastery received a large baroque new building. The monastery suffered setbacks during the Seven Years' War when, in August 1761, fighting broke out in front of the monastery between troops from France and Prussia. Around 350 soldiers were killed in the battle. At that time, the monastery was forced to pay high contributions. In addition, a military hospital was set up for around 250 soldiers. The monastery complex was completely destroyed by a devastating fire in March 1787. The monastery was rebuilt soon after, with debts continuing to mount and by 1801 was over 40,000 Reichsthalers. In 1802 the Duchy of Westphalia and with it the monastery fell to the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt. He had the monastery dissolved in 1804. The property became a state domain, which was initially leased. In 1842 it was sold to the hut owner Theodor Ulrich, who set up an iron foundry called "Theodorshütte" in the monastery complex. So it happened that between 1826 and 1870 the Ulrich company even installed blast furnaces in the monastery. During WW II there was a large warehouse for textiles and household goods in the monastery complex. In April1945, this was looted by locals and former German prisoners. Since about 1980, most of the buildings have been empty. Parts of the monastery grounds are now a cultural and conference center, but it was locked and did not seem busy.

Balve - St. Blasius

19 Feb 2012 224
The name of the first known pastor of the parish was "Elbertus de Balleve" in 1202. The church may have existed at that time, at least the main structure. The construction of the church probably began already end of the 10th / early 11th century, but most of the comparably large romanesque hall-church, with a nave, two aisles and a remarkable apse, was done later. The oldest church of this type (north of the Alps!) is the Bartholomew Chapel in Paderborn (100kms northeast), a masterpiece, created by "graecos operarios" (greek workers). So when this church in Balve got consecrated, this was still a sensationel new layout. The romanesque church (still) has four portals. It may be, that the greenish sandstone used, came from Anroechte (50kms northeast), a town between Soest and Paderborn. Quarries in Annroechte still exist today. Seen here in the middle are Mary and St. John under the Cross. Left a nativity scene. Mary on the ground, ox and ass above and Joseph wearing a "Jew´s hat", sitting to the right. This scene has parallels to a carving in Ense/Bremen (25kms north). The right part is very weathered. My first impression proved to be wrong, after I found a copy of "Bau- und Kunstdenkmale von Westfalen", volume 18 ("Kreis Arnsberg"). This book, published in 1906, seems to have the oldest photographs taken here in 1890. More than a hundred years ago, it was obvious, that an angel (note the wings / right) is approaching a person: the Annunciation. - The mountainous "Sauerland", part of the Duchy of Westphalia is known for witch-hunts in the 16th/17th century. Under the terror-regime of barbarous prosecutor Kaspar Reinhard 280 people were burned at the stakes in and around Balve between 1628 and 1630. Some villagers even tried to assassinate him, but he narrowly escaped. The failed assassinators were executed by dismemberment. The believe in witchcraft stayed stable in the Duchy for long time. In 1695 a 12 year old girl was executed in Olpe (50kms south), the last execution took place in Winterberg (60kms east) in 1728. - Green stones from Anroechte: www.anroechter-stein.de/