Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Lothair III

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

02 Jul 2021 93
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. The triumphal cross from 1500.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

02 Jul 2021 91
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. The bronze baptismal font was cast by Ghert Klinghe in 1447. It is dated and signed.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

01 Jul 2021 2 83
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134 what was given destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. The entire nave was under renovation and closed off with large wooden panels. We could only enter the transept. A photo of the folding altar was stuck on the wall behind the temporary altar. On the right, under tarpaulins, the stairway to the pulpit.

Bad Segeberg - Marienkirche

01 Jul 2021 1 1 83
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. Vicelin had founded a monastery around 1134. This was destroyed together with the castle during Slavic raids. The monks had fled, but they did return and the foundation stone of a huge three-nave cruciform basilica with an adjoining monastery was laid around 1156/57. In 1199, the monastery church was named "eccl. S. Maria" in a Papal document, indicating that it had been consecrated in the meantime. The later addition of a tower and a portal to the west of the church is dated to the 13th century. The Reformation found early acceptance in Segeberg. As early as the 1520s, the first Lutheran pastors preached here. Until the dissolution of the canonry in 1564/66 the interior of the church was divided into two separate areas - for the remaining canons (in the Gothic east choir) and the Lutheran parish (in the west nave). The east choir, unused since 1564, was no longer maintained and was left to decay. Old churches need constant renovation and so we could see little inside.

Bad Segeberg- Volksbank

01 Jul 2021 1 63
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. In 1143 that the castle was restored and Vizelin could devote more time to missionary activities. In the 1230s, Segeberg that had grown near the castle received the Lübeck town charter. Forerunners of the German "Volksbanken" were often so-called "Vorschussvereine" (~ advance money union), founded in the second half of the 19th century following the ideas of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen and Hermann Schulze-Delitzsch. One of them existed here and had this impressive building erected. The deorated portal is dated 1914. The year WWI started..

Bad Segeberg- Volksbank

01 Jul 2021 102
Bad Segeberg owes its existence to the "Kalkberg", a gypsum rock, that was about 120m high in the middle ages. This was the borderland between Saxons and Slavs, so Knud Lavard, Danish prince and Jarl (Earl) of Schleswig, unsuccessfully tried to build a castle here. Vizelin, the missionary of the Varrians and Abotrites, drew the attention of Emperor Lothair III to the strategic importance of the Kalkberg, whereupon the first castle was built on it in 1134. This was named "Siegesburg" (hence Segeberg). After Emperor Lothar III had died, Slavic chief Pribislav of Wagria rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire by destroying the new castle of Segeberg. In 1143 that the castle was restored and Vizelin could devote more time to missionary activities. In the 1230s, Segeberg that had grown near the castle received the Lübeck town charter. Forerunners of the German "Volksbanken" were often so-called "Vorschussvereine" (~ advance money union), founded in the second half of the 19th century following the ideas of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen and Hermann Schulze-Delitzsch. One of them existed here and had this impressive building erected around 1900.

Koenigslutter

26 Jan 2010 125
...The phantastic carvings show two hares, having caught the hunter. I remember that the tympanon in Conques (France) shows two evil looking hares roasting the hunter...

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

23 May 2011 263
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. Parts of the westwork survived the fire and got integrated into the new church. This got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal from stone of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around (a small third one on top is just ornamental). Inbetween is an inscription telling us the exact date of the consecration of the church: - 04. June 1129 - Framed by arcades are seven "images", connected to the liturgical year, that actually translate to seven "steps" to salvation. Here the Ascension of Jesus The heads and pointing hands of the twelve apostles are to be seen, as they observe the Ascension of Jesus. Jesus, shown in a kind of walking position, holds a cross and looks up to a cloud, symbolizing the heaven. Two angels are on his side, holding speech scroll and so creating a specific structure, consisting out of two earthen and a heavenly triangle. The angels "say": "VIRI GALIL(AEI) Q(UI)D STATIS ASPIC(IENTES) IN C(AE)L(UM)" - "SIC VENIET Q(UEMA)ADMOD(UM) VID(ISTIS) EU(M)" This refers to Acts 1.11 "Men of Galilee, why are you standing there looking at the sky? This Jesus who has been taken up from you into heaven will return in the same way as you have seen him going into heaven." - Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a really good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring and so had to use a torchlight. - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

18 May 2011 175
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. A new church was built. This new church got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal from stone of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around. Inbetween is an inscription telling us the exact date of the consecration of the church: - 04. June 1129 - Here the words: "EGBERTO ORTDINAT(IONIS) SUE (carved in higher) ANNO II". (The church was consecrated by bishop) "Egbert in his second year of ordination". - A detail from the lower part again. The lions are carved in a style, that is near to Byzantine artwork. Here is one of the two lions, of which only the head is visible. The tails of the neigbouring lions enter the lion´s mouth and leave the head again via the ears. The artist added impressive "ceremonial" tassels on to the lions´ tails. - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979 -

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

17 May 2011 155
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. A new church was built. This new church got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around. Inbetween is written: + ANNO AB INCARNAT(IONE) D(OMINI) M C XX VIIII EPACT (IS) XXVIII CONCURR(ENTIBUS) I P(OST) B(ISSEXTILEM) INDICT(IONE) VII II NON(AS) IBN(II) A VENERAB(ILI) EP(ISCOP)O MIMIGARDEVORDENSI EGBERTO ORTDINAT(IONIS) SUE ANNO II CONSECRATU(M) E(ST) HOC TEMPLUM In the year 1129 after the incarnation of the Lord, 28. Epakten, 1. Concurrenten, after a leap year, 7. Indiktion, on the 2. nones of june, the adorable bishop of Muenster Egbert in his second year of ordination this church was consecrated The inscription gives us the exact date of the consecration - 04. June 1129 - Epakten, Concurrenten and Indikations were all used in medieval calenders, Mimigardevordensi is a very old name for Muenster. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a really good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring. - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

17 May 2011 161
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. Everhard and Geva are known from a legend, written down in the 15th century - and similar to many "foundation legends" of monasteries. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. Historian Dr. Wilhelm Kohl published some details in 1979, that connect Freckenhorst to the south of France! In 860 relics of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii" were given to the new monastery by bishop Luidberts of Muenster. Aenius was archbishop of Arles 492-502, Antonius was bishop of Carpentras 463-473. Maximus was bishop in Riez and later abbot in Lerins and a bishop named Bonifatius is known in Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux within the 5th century. How did they all together travel to Freckenhorst? According to Dr. Kohl, Charles the Bald, Louis the German and Lothair I met in Koblenz in 860. Lothair and his entourage were just returning from Burgundy, that stretched far south in the 9th century. As the of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii". Danes/Normans were threating to loot every abbey, town and village in southern France (what they actually did), the most valuable treasures (the relics) were transferred north - and so ended in that young monastery in Freckenhorst. - The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. In 1473 all members of the convent got excommunicated due to a lawsuit. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here, until bishop Franz of Waldeck found out, three years after the rebellion had ended in nearby Muenster. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. Parts of the westwork survived the fire and got integrated into the new church (seen here). Thisgot consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. Facing east now and looking into the choir. The choir by now is rectangular, but originally it was shorter and semicircular. To the left and to the right two stairs lead up to the choir-level. Below this level is the crypt More details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

18 May 2011 159
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. A new church was built. This new church got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around. Inbetween is an inscription telling us the exact date of the consecration of the church: - 04. June 1129 - Seen here the first (ANNO) and the last (TEMPLUM) word of the inscription. - A detail from the lower part. This lower part depicts lions, carved in a style probably influenced by Byzantine art. Four of the lions seem are pressed down, having turned their heads - snarling. Of two lions only the heads are shown, the tails of the other lions run through these heads. Inbetween these lions stands a bearded man with nice curls. His hands rest relaxed on the brim. The lions around him seem to be creatures of hell, but he does not seen frightened. This may be Daniel in the lion´s den - or somebody in hell, knowing that he is saved, by what is depicted on the upper part. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring, so I used a torchlight... - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

19 May 2011 178
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. A new church was built. This new church got consecrated in June 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal from stone of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around (a small third one on top is just ornamental). Inbetween is an inscription telling us the exact date of the consecration of the church: - 04. June 1129 - Framed by arcades are seven "images", connected to the liturgical year, that actually translate to seven "steps" to salvation. Here seen the Annunciation. Archangel Gabriel announcing Mary that she would become the mother of Jesus. Gabriel holds a speech band, that reads "AVE GRAE PLENA (JES?) TECU" / Ave gratiae plena (Jes?) tecu / Hail, full of grace, Jesus is with you / This differs a bit from Luke 1.28. Mary answers via speech band "FIAT M SCDM VBV T" / Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum / May your word to me be fulfilled /. - Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a really good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring and so had to use a torchlight. More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

24 May 2011 162
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. Parts of the westwork survived the fire and got integrated into the new church. This got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal from stone of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around (a small third one on top is just ornamental). Inbetween is an inscription telling us the exact date of the consecration of the church: - 04. June 1129 - Framed by arcades are seven "images", connected to the liturgical year, that actually translate to seven "steps" to salvation. Here the Last Judgment Jesus - in the gesture of the Pantokrator with widespread arms - sitting on a rainbow in a mandorla. The symbols of the four evangelists around, the humans down below. A second rainbow is near to Jesus´ feet. Two banderols roll down from Jesus hands. To the right "VENITE BENEDICTI PATRIS MEI (AC)CIPITE REGNUM", what is Matthew 25.34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom..". To the left "DISCEDITE A ME MALEDICTI IN IGNEM ETERNAM", what is Matthew 25.41 "Then he will say to those on his left, "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire.." - Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a really good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring and so had to use a torchlight. - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

18 May 2011 147
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here for some years. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. A new church was built. This new church got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. - The most valuable jewel within this great romanesque collegiate church is this baptismal font. Quoting late Georg Dehio, one of the great german art-historians, this is "the most important baptismal of the 12th century" in Germany, "a goldwork in stone". Over a "greek" base, two carved bands going all around. Inbetween is written: + ANNO AB INCARNAT(IONE) D(OMINI) M C XX VIIII EPACT (IS) XXVIII CONCURR(ENTIBUS) I P(OST) B(ISSEXTILEM) INDICT(IONE) VII II NON(AS) IBN(II) A VENERAB(ILI) EP(ISCOP)O MIMIGARDEVORDENSI EGBERTO ORTDINAT(IONIS) SUE ANNO II CONSECRATU(M) E(ST) HOC TEMPLUM In the year 1129 after the incarnation of the Lord, 28. Epakten, 1. Concurrenten, after a leap year, 7. Indiktion, on the 2. nones of june, the adorable bishop of Muenster Egbert in his second year of ordination this church was consecrated The inscription gives us the exact date of the consecration - 04. June 1129 - Epakten, Concurrenten and Indikations were all used in medieval calenders, Mimigardevordensi is a very old name for Muenster. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos. To take them on a afternoon in winter was not a really good idea, but I could not wait for better light in spring. - More interesting details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

16 May 2011 136
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. Everhard and his wife Geva are only known from a legend, that was written down in the 15th century - and is very similar to many "foundation legends" of monasteries. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. Historian Dr. Wilhelm Kohl published some details in 1979, that connect Freckenhorst to the south of France! In 860 relics of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii" were given to the new monastery by bishop Luidberts of Muenster. Aenius was archbishop of Arles 492-502, Antonius was bishop of Carpentras 463-473. Maximus was bishop in Riez and later abbot in Lerins and a bishop named Bonifatius is known in Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux within the 5th century. How did they all together travel to Freckenhorst? According to Dr. Kohl, Charles the Bald, Louis the German and Lothair I met in Koblenz in 860. Lothair and his entourage were just returning from Burgundy, that stretched far south in the 9th century. As the of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii". Danes/Normans were threating to loot every abbey, town and village in southern France (what they actually did), the most valuable treasures (the relics) were transferred north - and so ended in that young monastery in Freckenhorst. - The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. In 1473 all members of the convent got excommunicated due to a lawsuit. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here, until bishop Franz of Waldeck found out, three years after the rebellion had ended in nearby Muenster. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. Parts of the westwork survived the fire and got integrated into the new church (seen here). This got consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. Standing in the crossing facing the westwork. The nave of the basilica and the two smaller aisles are to be seen. The nave never had a flat wooden ceiling, like nearly all churches of that time. It was vaulted around 1120/1125, what is very early. The cathedral in Speyer was first church in Germany having a vaulted nave - around 1100. The barrel vaulted nave in Tournus (Burgundy) dates back to 1070. The vaulting here was remodeled later and now has a gothic "touch". Please note the arches in the westwork. It was very common, to have a special chapel up there for the high nobility. More details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979

Freckenhorst - St. Bonifatius

17 May 2011 1 1 153
A monastery was founded here by some Everward and his wife Geva around 854 as a house of secular canonesses, unmarried daughters of the saxonian nobility. Everhard and his wife Geva are only known from a legend, that was written down in the 15th century - and is very similar to many "foundation legends" of monasteries. There are parallels to the abbey in Gandersheim, - only a few years younger - and as well a secular house for noble unmarried ladies. Historian Dr. Wilhelm Kohl published some details in 1979, that connect Freckenhorst to the south of France! In 860 relics of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii" were given to the new monastery by bishop Luidberts of Muenster. Aenius was archbishop of Arles 492-502, Antonius was bishop of Carpentras 463-473. Maximus was bishop in Riez and later abbot in Lerins and a bishop named Bonifatius is known in Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux within the 5th century. How did they all together travel to Freckenhorst? According to Dr. Kohl, Charles the Bald, Louis the German and Lothair I met in Koblenz in 860. Lothair and his entourage were just returning from Burgundy, that stretched far south in the 9th century. As the of "Bonifacii et Maximii" and "Eonii atque Antonii". Danes/Normans were threating to loot every abbey, town and village in southern France (what they actually did), the most valuable treasures (the relics) were transferred north - and so ended in that young monastery in Freckenhorst. - The abbey existed upto 1812, and during centuries had a very colourful history. In 1473 all members of the convent got excommunicated due to a lawsuit. After Luther´s reformation the canonesses favoured to be "Lutherians" in future, so that some Anabaptists of the Muenster rebellion could find a secret asylum here, until bishop Franz of Waldeck found out, three years after the rebellion had ended in nearby Muenster. Catholicism returned finally to Freckenhorst during the 17th century. In 1116 the collegiate and the church burnt down. Parts of the westwork survived the fire and got integrated into the new church (seen here). Thisgot consecrated in 1129 by Egbert, bishop in Muenster, a relative of and advisor to Lothair III. The knowledge about the crypt under the choir got lost over the century. The crypt got "discovered" in 1850 during a visit of the bishop. At that time it was in a very bad state, filled with waste and rubble. The hall-crypt (six bays) stretches completely under the choir, and as the choir got enlarged, the crypt got larger too. The building joints between "older" and "newer" are visible, even in a different style. Only a few pillars and capitals have survived the centuries, most pillars had to be replaced. The style of the capitals is nearly identical to capitals used in St. Patrokli in Soest, 50 kms south, and the sandstone used can still be sourced in the village of Anroechte, 20 kms east of Soest. More details can be found in: Kirche und Stift Freckenhorst, Jubilaeumsschrift zur 850. Wiederkehr des Weihetages der Stiftskirche am 04. Juni 1979, Warendorf 1979