Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Hautes-Alpes

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

21 Dec 2016 278
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. The northern, Romanesque portal / narthex named "Port Real" (or "Portal des Rois Mages") got its name, as in the 14th century the tympanum got covered by a frescoe depicting the Magi. The frescoe was destroyed during, when the church got severely damaged the French Wars of Religion, so by now the Romanesque tympanum is seen again. Here are the two crouching portal-lions. The left lion holds a lamb, the right one a child or small man. Note the skinny atlantes in the back. They remind me on sculptures in Morlaàs and Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

20 Dec 2016 2 274
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220. The northern, Romanesque portal / narthex named "Port Real" (or "Portal des Rois Mages") got its name, as in the 14th century the tympanum got covered by a frescoe depicting the Magi. The frescoe was destroyed when the church got severely damaged during the French Wars of Religion, so by now the Romanesque tympanum is seen again. Only the inscription still refers to the Magi. The two elegant columns are supported on crouching lions.

Embrun - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-du-Réal

20 Dec 2016 2 245
Since 365, when Saint Marcellin became the first bishop here, a cathedral existed in Embrun. Saint Gregory of Tours wrote about a "basilica mirabilis" built over the tombs of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. After the Lombards had sacked Embrun end of the 6th century, Charlemagne funded the erection of a new cathedral. In the 10th century the Sarazens raided the area - and again looted the town (and killed the bishop). The cathedral of today was built on foundations of Charlemagne´s basilica between 1170 and 1220.

L'Argentière-la-Bessée - Saint-Jean

20 Dec 2016 1 233
Since medieval times silver (= argent) was mined here and so the settlement was named after that mines. In 1208 the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem") founded a small commandery here. The Chapelle Saint-Jean, erected on a small promontery overlooking the River Durance, is the last remaining building of that commandery.

L'Argentière-la-Bessée - Saint-Jean

20 Dec 2016 226
Since medieval times silver (= argent) was mined here and so the settlement was named after that mines. In 1208 the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem") founded a small commandery here. The Chapelle Saint-Jean, erected on a small promontery overlooking the River Durance, is the last remaining building of that commandery.

La Salle-les-Alpes - Saint-Marcellin

20 Dec 2016 160
A church dedicated to Saint Marcellin (311-353), the first bishop of Embrun, existed here already in the 12th century. The church got enlarged and altered within the 16th century, the present choir was consecrated in 1669. A narthex was added end of the 15th century. Six faces still flank the Romanesque side portal. There may have been a sculpted lintel and a tympanum, but these parts got lost.

La Salle-les-Alpes - Saint-Marcellin

19 Dec 2016 1 205
A church dedicated to Saint Marcellin (311-353), the first bishop of Embrun, existed here already in the 12th century. The church got enlarged and altered within the 16th century, the present choir was consecrated in 1669. The narthex, seen here, was added end of the 15th century, re-using some parts of the 12th century building. Of the once probably two portal lions only one survived. The missing lion got replaced by an old baptismal font.

La Salle-les-Alpes - Saint-Marcellin

19 Dec 2016 206
A church dedicated to Saint Marcellin (311-353), the first bishop of Embrun, existed here already in the 12th century. The church got enlarged and altered within the 16th century, the present choir was consecrated in 1669. The narthex was added end of the 15th century, re-using parts of the 12th century building.

26 items in total