Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: St. Sebaldus

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

07 Sep 2017 366
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. The shrine of Saint Sebaldus is a work of Peter Vischer the Elder (1455 - 1529) and his sons Peter and Hermann. . St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

07 Sep 2017 274
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. The shrine of Saint Sebaldus. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

06 Sep 2017 2 306
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

06 Sep 2017 339
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

06 Sep 2017 279
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. The tympanum over the side portal depicts the Death and the "Coronation of the Virgin", a very popular icon since early Gothic times (eg. Senlis, Poitiers, Chartres..) www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

06 Sep 2017 295
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/

Nuremberg - St. Sebaldus

06 Sep 2017 2 1 385
The construction of St. Sebaldus, named after a legendary 8th-century hermit, now the patron saint of Nuremberg, began in 1225 about two decades before the building of St. Lorenz (prev. uploads) started only about 300 meters west. That probably caused a kind of rivalry. Both churches are clearly influenced by the Bamberg Cathedral. When St. Sebaldus was completed in 1273/75 this was a Romanesque basilica. Only decades later important changes started: the side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider Gothic ones (1309-1345). The Gothic chancel was built (1358-1379) - and a century later the two towers were added. When carpet bombings end of World War II destroyed the old town of Nuremberg, St. Sebaldus got seriously damaged. At that time most of the valuable interior (incl. stained glass windows) had been taken out - and so got saved. The rebuilding of the church started still in the 1940s, the (re-)consecration took place in 1957. St. Sebaldus has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. www.sebalduskirche.de/