Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: roofed stair

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus

11 Jul 2017 3 3 488
Hemma of Gurk donated a chapel in "Grivinne" in 1043. The chapel belonged to the chapter of the Gurk cathedral in 1157 and around 1218 was the parish church Deutsch-Griffen. The Romanesque structure was rebuilt as a fortified church in the 15th century, when it served as a refuge for the villagers during the Turkish incursions. Since then it is surounded by a strong wall. The Karner (ossuary) erected in the 14th century was used as a defense tower duirng that time. Since 1755 church and churchyard are "connected" with the village in the vallye by a roofed stair with 178 steps.

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus

11 Jul 2017 1 460
Hemma of Gurk donated a chapel in "Grivinne" in 1043. The chapel belonged to the chapter of the Gurk cathedral in 1157 and around 1218 was the parish church Deutsch-Griffen. The Romanesque structure was rebuilt as a fortified church in the 15th century, when it served as a refuge for the villagers during the Turkish incursions. Since then it is surounded by a strong wall. The Karner (ossuary) erected in the 14th century was used as a defense tower duirng that time. Since 1755 church and churchyard are "connected" with the village in the vallye by a roofed stair with 178 steps.